X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars and Bush

interesting article....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051600615.html
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Star Wars and Bush

Star Wars as an allegory for the Bush Administration...actually, since George Lucas really intended the allegory to relate to the Nixon Administration, I find the parallels between the Nixon Administration and the latest Bush administration to be remarkably close. Both Administrations were mired in unpopular wars, both were unwavering and dogmatic in their beliefs. The only difference was Nixon's Administration did dirty things and tried to hide it, and Bush's team does dirty things and tries to justify things by fabricating lies to justify a position rather than denying or hiding the truth.

Now if history repeats itself again (as it is wont to do over time), this means that Dubya will probably leave the White House before the end of his current Administration under a veil of embarrassment caused by a major scandal (lessee...I can already think of at least 4 things I'd like to hold him accountable for already, one of which involves the United Nations).

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; May 18, 2005, 09:50 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So does that mean that GWB is Palpatine, or is he more like Jar Jar Binks?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        So does that mean that GWB is Palpatine, or is he more like Jar Jar Binks?
        Probably a horrifying combination of both, sadly.

Comment

After seeing the movie, another real world comparison occurred to me:

In the scene where Palpatine addresses the Senate after the Jedi fail to arrest him, he says "look how they've scarred me!" It made me think of that Ukrainian politician, Yushchenko, who was scarred from an assassination attempt using dioxin poisoning. Of course, I think Yushchenko's a good guy, so it's not a direct analogy...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            After seeing the movie, another real world comparison occurred to me:

In the scene where Palpatine addresses the Senate after the Jedi fail to arrest him, he says "look how they've scarred me!" It made me think of that Ukrainian politician, Yushchenko, who was scarred from an assassination attempt using dioxin poisoning. Of course, I think Yushchenko's a good guy, so it's not a direct analogy...
            Put it this way, Glen, Yuschenko was the better of the two who ran for President. We (the US government) helped put him in power because the alternative would have been more like Karimov in Uzbekistan, a despot from the old Soviet school. If he can truly move his country away from both the US and Soviet influence, then he will be deemed a good leader. To be a puppet of either ideology would not make him a good leader.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Viggo Mortensen of The Lord of the Rings said Mordor represented America and Saruman represented Bush.
              Many comparisons have been written in Europe comparing Zion of The Matrix to America-"the Jewish-controlled America filled with dark peoples".
              And with every book one sees on the bookshelves at the Barnes & Noble with titles like "The Sorrows Of Empire","Rogue State:America At War With The World","Why Do People Hate America?","The End of the American Era",
              "Hegemony or Survival : America's Quest for Global Dominance",etc., one cannot feel optimistic about America's future in this world.
              But like Rome and every empire in history America will collapse.Just a lot faster in the modern age and broadcast via satellite around the world.
              It'll be either the 40 trillion in debt service economy owing 7 trillion dollars to the world which will precipitate a dollar and economic collapse or the 10,000 terrorists in America with their suitcase nukes and their viruses that starts it off.

Comment

Working...
              X