X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to Hawaii

I plan on relocating to Honolulu this summer.My long range plans are to
    retire and live in Thailand and Hawaii would be a close US base for
    financial and legal reasons to gradually start from.
    I will have $200,000 in cash and would like to use half for living
    expenses and settling in and to start or acquire a cash business.I also
    do internet commerce part-time.
    I would like to invest $100,000 in either condos,houses,multi-unit
    buildings,etc.,for income and future appreciation value.I have a real
    estate license in my state and have bought and sold properties here as
    well as have over a 800 FICO credit score.What would be the usual down
    payment for a residential property in Honolulu?I would live in it to
    start then find another property and rent the current one out so
    hopefully the down payment and rates would be less if owner-occupied.
    Many of the properties in Hawaii are either fee simple or leasehold.The
    leasehold condos,houses,etc.,are about half the price of the fee simple
    ones.Many of the leaseholds expire in decades i.e. 2046,etc.Should I
    only look into fee simple properties even though they are more
    expensive due to owning the land under it?Would they appreciate more
    and sell easier than leasehold properties?
    Also what would be the average rent for a retail space for a fast
    food-type/deli in Waikiki?I've found many websites for real estate,like
    hicentral,etc.,but none for businesses for sale.Is the Honolulu
    Advertiser classifieds the best source of business listings?

Re: Hello to Hawaii

Hi Ahola:
    With that bankroll, if there's a way you can get set up in Thailand sooner rather than later, it would make the money go farther.

If you've been reading the real estate section of the Honolulu Advertiser or Star Bulletin, you will see that finding anything decent for less an about $500k is going to be difficult on any of the islands. Real estate prices have gone through the roof. You might be able to score a condo somewhere further out of town.

If you're looking into business opportunities in Honolulu, go here. Maybe something will pique your interest.

With $200k in Thailand, you could live like a prince. With $200k in Hawai'i, that would last maybe 4 years if you didn't have a job.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Hi Ahola:
      With that bankroll, if there's a way you can get set up in Thailand sooner rather than later, it would make the money go farther.

If you've been reading the real estate section of the Honolulu Advertiser or Star Bulletin, you will see that finding anything decent for less an about $500k is going to be difficult on any of the islands. Real estate prices have gone through the roof. You might be able to score a condo somewhere further out of town.

If you're looking into business opportunities in Honolulu, go here. Maybe something will pique your interest.

With $200k in Thailand, you could live like a prince. With $200k in Hawai'i, that would last maybe 4 years if you didn't have a job.

Miulang
      I have done much research into Thailand and frequent thaivisa.com an expat forum.
      $200,000 could last about 200 months and $1000 a month would be easy to live on as a nice serviced apartment could be about $250 a month and food is very cheap.$1000 a month could only pay rent on a studio apartment in HI.
      But there are many regulations and headaches for foreigners doing business in Thailand and only condos are allowable for foreigners to own and full price and no mortgages are necessary.I could buy a condo there for the price of a down payment of $20,000 here,but the low rents wouldn't be profitable.
      Many expats have properties and investments back home and live off the income and interest very easily in Thailand.
      I decided to do business to build up cash for investments and to acquire real estate to get cash flow and appreciation.I can go back and forth to Thailand and Singapore,where i would have bank accounts,much cheaper from HI than here in NJ.
      I am thinking $100-200,000 condos in Honolulu or $500,000 multiunits versus $500,00 single family homes. I saw listings for several studio and 1 bedroom condos for $100-$200,000 in buildings like the Pacific Monarch,etc.

Comment

Eh, no forget tsunami's, earthquakes, and whatevas they get in that region. Oh, welcome to hawaii.threads.com!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Eh, no forget tsunami's, earthquakes, and whatevas they get in that region. Oh, welcome to hawaii.threads.com!

Thanks Auntie!
          That tsunami was a once in a century fluke in the Indian ocean
          and Phuket,where the most damage in Thailand was done,is a small portion of a rather large country.
          The Pacific is where tsunamis and earthquakes are most frequent.Wonder when the last one hit Waikiki and think it may be safer a further inland and upcountry.Think with China and Vietnam and southeast Asia booming economically,Hawaii could be a good gateway for business and investments.
          Did read about some of the whatevas and cobras in the garden and elephants walking down streets could qualify as exotic whatevas.Also they have huge mosquitoes and hope HI doesn't have many of those.

Comment

Hi again. I was going to do a search of when the last earthquake hit Waikiki...but I'm in the middle of preparing lunch. Chinese Roast Pork with maui onions,mustard cabbage and oyster sauce.

Anyways, here on Oahu...the last time we had an elephant walk/run down the street was "Tyke". He got shot down by HPD. The guy was Brian Lee, a fellow 74'grad from Mckinley High School.

Snakes? Lots of them. Oahu is infested with them. They go by "Drug Dealers." Hawai'i is paradise and we have our problems. I would think a lot less that Thailand. Then again, don't they execute Drug Dealers there?

Komo mai, come to Hawai'i nei. Come bring your $200,000. Invest in a anti-small business State. Your money will be gone very fast. However, if you have a business plan that is solid proof, have the guts to outlast the storm...go for it. Best wishes to you.

You sound well established and know more or less what you want. God Bless you and your loved ones!

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi, when are you planning to come to Hawaii?

Just wondering, Ulrike

Comment

Seems interesting.

But if the ultimate plan is THAILAND.. then I am not quite sure how Hawaii would fit into that.

I'd go with the others and say that Thailand should be the place to focus on.. not Hawaii as a means to an end with Thailand.

Plus right now seems to be THE TIME to focus on Thailand. The prices for nearly everything is extremely reasonable yet the place offers seemingly everything. Its only a matter of time before the prices creep up to something much more like Europe or Singapore or Hong Kong or something. Thailand is a really exceptional place. Now is the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                  Seems interesting.

But if the ultimate plan is THAILAND.. then I am not quite sure how Hawaii would fit into that.

I'd go with the others and say that Thailand should be the place to focus on.. not Hawaii as a means to an end with Thailand.

Plus right now seems to be THE TIME to focus on Thailand. The prices for nearly everything is extremely reasonable yet the place offers seemingly everything. Its only a matter of time before the prices creep up to something much more like Europe or Singapore or Hong Kong or something. Thailand is a really exceptional place. Now is the time.
                  Hi Tiger in the Land of the Morning Calm which I loved living in many moons ago and I definitely want to retire and live in the Land of Smiles.I have been seriously researching moving to Thailand but as a foreigner there are drawbacks and in several years I will be 50 and old enough for their retirement visa.So hope to spend a few more years building up my nest egg,
                  and Hawaii is much closer to Thailand so I can more affordably travel back and forth.Also I have a very good credit rating and background in real estate,
                  so I will acquire income-producing properties in Hawaii which together with my investments in stocks,CDs,etc.,should make it easier to live in Thailand without worrying about finding a job or starting a business there.

Comment

Sounds like a great plan.

How much is the airfare between Honolulu and Bangkok?

I love Asia.. and have spent a lot of time on this continent.. hence the attraction/interest in Hawaii.. because I'm also American. I have more interest to keep coming back to Asian destinations for travel, etc. as opposed to mainland destinations.

So, just curious, how much is it approximately going from HNL-BKK-HNL?

(I've found some great deals through Northwest Airlines from Seoul to HNL and back for $550).

Comment

I have only flown from NYC-BKK and it averages $1200-2000 depending on time of year and how many stops.The flights on Orbitz and Expedia show HNL-BKK roundtrip flights starting at $670 and $740 but am sure if one books flexible dates or directly with airlines one can find cheaper fares.Am also interested in having bank accounts in Singapore and think Vietnam has a great future and is a great ground floor opportunity for doing business there and it is much cheaper than even Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by ahola
                        I have only flown from NYC-BKK and it averages $1200-2000 depending on time of year and how many stops.The flights on Orbitz and Expedia show HNL-BKK roundtrip flights starting at $670 and $740 but am sure if one books flexible dates or directly with airlines one can find cheaper fares.Am also interested in having bank accounts in Singapore and think Vietnam has a great future and is a great ground floor opportunity for doing business there and it is much cheaper than even Thailand.
                        I've been to Vietnam twice now.. I love the culture.. but its really dog-eat-dog there. Heard that from business perspectives, it rates really low on expat experiences with the place. That being said, wow, what an exciting culture with a great energy.

The work ethic in Vietnam is like China.. just work work work work work.. unbelievable. There is no doubt that someday they'll be bigtime players like Japan, Korea, HK, SG, etc. Unfortunately their own government has really been holding them back for the longest time it seems to me.

Comment

I am also thinking about buying a condo in HI as an investment property, renting out for the most part, use it during vacation, and wondering what kind of returns I would get out of this plan. Do you have any recommendation?

As for staying in Thailand/Vietnam, I wouldn't even go there, IMHO. I am from Vietnam, have lived in Thailand for 4 months during my boat trip getting out of VN. IMO, these countries are among the Southeast Asia that looks great but taste bad. You will find lawlessness, crimes, bribery, and the environment which makes you feel like a complete stranger. They only welcome you when your pocket is full of money. Otherwise, forget it.

Furthermore, I have been to quite a few places in Europe and Mexico, and the comfort of being able to read and understand road signs, store names. Knowing that McDonald and KFC always taste the same would sure beat everything else. Been there, seen it, to me Hawaii is the choice. It will be the only place I consider moving to if not staying in the mainland.

======================

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                          I've been to Vietnam twice now.. I love the culture.. but its really dog-eat-dog there. Heard that from business perspectives, it rates really low on expat experiences with the place. That being said, wow, what an exciting culture with a great energy.

The work ethic in Vietnam is like China.. just work work work work work.. unbelievable. There is no doubt that someday they'll be bigtime players like Japan, Korea, HK, SG, etc. Unfortunately their own government has really been holding them back for the longest time it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DPMP
                            I am also thinking about buying a condo in HI as an investment property, renting out for the most part, use it during vacation, and wondering what kind of returns I would get out of this plan. Do you have any recommendation?

yea. go do yer r.e. speculation in another state.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Snakes? Lots of them. Oahu is infested with them. They go by "Drug Dealers." Hawai'i is paradise and we have our problems. I would think a lot less that Thailand. Then again, don't they execute Drug Dealers there?
                              youre thinking of indonesia. thailand generally gives [long, sometimes 40+ yrs] prison sentences for drug dealing. the max penalty may be death, but i dont believe thats often enforced unlike indonesia, malaysia or singapore. the bigger problem there is child prostitution, esp since japanese businessmen pay a lot for six yr old virgins. so yeah, they have some serious problems in thailand too.
                              Last edited by stumphurple; January 4, 2006, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X