Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a few days closer to my first (real) job!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a few days closer to my first (real) job!!

I sent my resume to 808 Communications (where they're selling Nextel and Hawaii Telcom services) and they just called me to confirm my interest, and give me info on a upcoming orientation next Wednesday evening.

I'm so excited!! I was always one of my dreams to work for a wireless store (maybe I'll send some of the people here) but I'm a bit worried because the store is new, and they didn't mention about tmobile or other carriers. And if I have to hear that annoying PTT sound everyday, I think I'll go crazy.

The only cons I see so far, is the transportation. It took me me 15 minutes to go from the Waipahu Transit to the end of the 433 (waikele bus), then I have to walk to Waipio, where I didn't even find the place (my Mom picked me up, and we saw that the store was a few blocks up from where I was).

Wish me luck!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: I'm a few days closer to my first (real) job!!

Good luck, Adrian. And stop always thinking about the negative things first when thinking about something that might turn out to be a good thing. Always be optimistic. If you aren't, your potential employer will be able to tell in an instant. You have to sell yourself and believe you can do the job.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And, uh...don't let your mom drop you off and pick you up until after you've got the job. Do what it takes to get there yourself.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Good luck Adrian! Think positive, dress professional and most of all be yourself!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good luck, and just to add to the other good advice given here--as it's a sales position, be sure to come off talkative, friendly, and energetic like a real go-getter.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Good Luck Adrian. As Aunty Lynn says, be positive. Remember the job will be what you make it. If you focus on the negatives, it will really be work. If you focus on the positives, it may become more like a hobby in which you get paid.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Ditto what everyone has said. Good luck!

Comment

Less than two hours to go!

FYI, I'll try and get some pics of the place (if they'll let me) and when I come home, I'll post the experience in my blog and probably copy and paste the story here and another forum I post at.

I better get off the computer and practice what I'll say/do.

Comment

I'm back!

Q: How many people applied for a position at a cell phone store?
                  A: 200 people

Yep, that's how many people applied, but tonight, only half a dozen was there.

We had to sit through an hour's worth of PowerPoint to learn what 808 Communications is all about, from its roots, to where it stands in the wireless biz, to why they sell only Nextel and Hawaiian Telcom products.

Basically, they did a lot of competitor bashing, especially towards tmobile (don't ask me why). I know it seems like the "right thing to do" but I was hoping that if I was hired there, that they'd expand to cover other providers.

And she pumped some lies in some noobs as to that a tmobile customer can roam onto Verizon's network, among other things. The presenter was the owner of the company, so I guess she wanted to get some new customers from the non-nextel people from the group (which was only 3).

If I had to rate myself in the interview (which happened afterward, and mines only lasted 3 minutes), then I'd give myself a 5, because I stuttered a lot, wasn't quick on my toes, and didn't really elaborate on many things that I was asked.

Pros:
                  - Presentation was informative.
                  - Nice, young company to work for.
                  - Place is really prepared for the customers (accessories and in stock phones galore)

Cons:
                  - Far distance from the nearest bus stop
                  - A lot of people applying for the job

Oh yeah, I managed to take some pics of the place, and hopefully, I'll post them ASAP.

Comment

Re: I'm back!

If anything, you got some experience now. Don't worry about stuttering, I did in my first interview too. I'm very proud of you Adrian. Never ever give up. Stay positive and apply to other jobs. There are many out there if you want it!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

For Adrian:

I saw you mention that this potential job is a good distance from a bus stop. I'm just curious, (cause all the time I've spent in HI, I don't remember): Does TheBus have those bicycle carriers up front of the bus? It's common here in RI for people to commute to a bus stop by bike, put the bike on the bus via the bike carrier upon arrival, and then go on their way. That might be a way to cut down on the walking distance to the bus stop.

BTW, I am a bike commuter. I get to work everyday by bike, in spite of the nasty weather we sometimes (often) have here. (Snow storms are tough when commuting!) I love it...it's one less car on the road, I'm not paying for any gas, and it help keeps me in pretty good shape. Just an idea for you.

I mua, Adrian...we're pulling for 'ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                        Does TheBus have those bicycle carriers up front of the bus? It's common here in RI for people to commute to a bus stop by bike, put the bike on the bus via the bike carrier upon arrival, and then go on their way. That might be a way to cut down on the walking distance to the bus stop.
                        Yes, I believe all of the buses, or at least the ones I see on the road, have bike racks. They can hold up to two bikes per bus. I always wondered about how secure they are, though. Obviously, they can hold your bike properly, but they seem so flimsy looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                          For Adrian:

I saw you mention that this potential job is a good distance from a bus stop. I'm just curious, (cause all the time I've spent in HI, I don't remember): Does TheBus have those bicycle carriers up front of the bus? It's common here in RI for people to commute to a bus stop by bike, put the bike on the bus via the bike carrier upon arrival, and then go on their way. That might be a way to cut down on the walking distance to the bus stop.

BTW, I am a bike commuter. I get to work everyday by bike, in spite of the nasty weather we sometimes (often) have here. (Snow storms are tough when commuting!) I love it...it's one less car on the road, I'm not paying for any gas, and it help keeps me in pretty good shape. Just an idea for you.

I mua, Adrian...we're pulling for 'ya!
                          I'm a bit on the heavy side, and when I tried to ride a bike with training wheels, I broke the wheels (STFU).

Yes, TheBus has the bus racks, but I have no intentions on learning how to bike anytime soon. I'm a pretty fast walker, but its just the heat that will kill me when I'm out.

Comment

Welcome to the professional workplace! You're gonna do great, I'm certain of it.
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

I don't know if I'll go through this job if I get it, because Best Buy just called me to apply at their website, and with them being a bus ride away, then that might be a better choice (plus, me and my cousin [who works at Circuit City] might be able to have a little competition)

Since this site doesn't like a lot of images in one post, you can view the pics at my blog and there's a pic of me!

Comment

Working...
                              X