Any Ebayers or Traders Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ebayers or Traders Here?

I am an Ebay Powerseller with over 1100 perfect feedbacks and am a Paypal Premier member.I sold antiques and collectibles part-time on Ebay and averaged $5000 a month.I would like to continue to Ebay but think may have to look into different lines to sell when I move to Hawaii.I would visit estate sales and flea markets here and pick up Laliques,Lladros,signed jewelry,etc.,
    and sell them on Ebay.Are there many sources like these in HI?I read an article in Hawaii Business about Ebayers in Hawaii and one guy sold hand-carved tikis that local craftsmen made and he had a 100% profit on them.Also is Priority Mail shipping the same from there to the mainland?Which are the cheapest methods of shipping?
    I also trade equities with Scottrade and know they have an office in Honolulu as well as trade forex with OandaFX.Does anyone make a living trading stocks or currencies and are there any investment groups or clubs in Honolulu?

Re: Any Ebayers or Traders Here?

Do you think we natives live in grass shacks? To all your questions, this is part of America, duh. Yes, I'm sure you will find if not better opportunities if you look for it. Remember, the internet brings everything closer. You should know. Have a nice day.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Do you think we natives live in grass shacks? To all your questions, this is part of America, duh. Yes, I'm sure you will find if not better opportunities if you look for it. Remember, the internet brings everything closer. You should know. Have a nice day.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

No grass shacks?Elvis and Blue Hawaii were wrong and there goes my romantic preconceptions about life in Hawaii!
      Been there many times albeit as a vacationer staying at the Surfrider or Hawaiian Village.
      It's just that my metro area has 22 million people and I can visit any of hundreds of estate sales within driving distance of me.Oahu has 860,000 people and can not see much opportunity or choices in picking good high end estate sales there to regularly supply my auctions.Also higher shipping costs would eat into profits.

Comment

Priority Shipping is the same from here to there. You can also "ground" ship via UPS or FedEx, from here, for the same cost ground shipping is within the the lower 48.

Comment

And now for a more helpful reply...

Yes, there are lots of Ebayers in Hawaii. I know a few folks that make a hefty second income with it, though none I know full time. I'm sure they're out there, though, and I recall there even being an article or story recently about how heavy Ebayers should watch out for being snagged in local tax laws and how they apply to online transactions.

Shipping is probably your biggest barrier on the Ebay front. Islanders rely on auctions that ship USPS, but not all do, and fewer "real" merchants do, too. I believe that you can get "ground" rates for both FedEx and UPS now, and there are other freight options for larger pieces... but as far as impacting your ability to have a good price and make a tidy profit, it's a concern.

Traders? Yes, a lot of those here, too. Even with the most active/relevant markets several hours away. A former coworker of mine recently left to attempt trading full-time, as he's already built a relatively hefty portfolio just doing it on the side (although it does require him to keep odd hours!).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            And now for a more helpful reply...

Yes, there are lots of Ebayers in Hawaii. I know a few folks that make a hefty second income with it, though none I know full time. I'm sure they're out there, though, and I recall there even being an article or story recently about how heavy Ebayers should watch out for being snagged in local tax laws and how they apply to online transactions.

Shipping is probably your biggest barrier on the Ebay front. Islanders rely on auctions that ship USPS, but not all do, and fewer "real" merchants do, too. I believe that you can get "ground" rates for both FedEx and UPS now, and there are other freight options for larger pieces... but as far as impacting your ability to have a good price and make a tidy profit, it's a concern.

Traders? Yes, a lot of those here, too. Even with the most active/relevant markets several hours away. A former coworker of mine recently left to attempt trading full-time, as he's already built a relatively hefty portfolio just doing it on the side (although it does require him to keep odd hours!).
            Yes,the time zone difference would make my my daily 9:30 AM glued-to-my- trading-screen ritual in NJ more like having to get up at 3:30 AM in HI for the NY market opening.But I did give up daytrading and now swing/short term trade,but many times news can affect stocks and being asleep when news comes out and not being able to sell or buy at a moments notice is a major disadvantage.May have to be of a more buy and hold value investor now.At least the currency markets around the world open at different times so that could be a non-issue trading forex.

Comment

Working...
            X