Oh Poi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Poi!

Here's a really cool article from Maui Tomorrow about kalo cultivation and poi and its future in Hawai'i. Eh Poi Cocktail, dis one foa you!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Oh Poi!

right on popcorn and mahalos reading the article next! down to the last scoops in the last tub so on the hunt tomorrow.

-back from first pass
    eh! 5 gallon bucket? I get one 5 gallon bucket from City Mill! how to start a plant? I like that article alot, very interesting. kinda' like coffee how it's sometimes blended (but I hope I buy only 100% hawaiian poi.)

old days farmers only getting $9/100 lbs. I tell you one reason I love poi and maybe a market they should get into. sports. poi get plenty carbs, I mix with milk so there's the protein added, some (hawaiian) brown sugar for taste. "badabing" there's my pre-workout meal replacement. readily digested body fuel no need supplement drinks (which are all the rage nowadays hint hint). at least here is one local alternative to cases from costco.

powerbars. poi based bars to carry on the go. that would address the spoilage issue of liquid forms? could be mix with carob, nuts, raisins, I don't know. somebody should just start experimenting in the kitchen! already get the powder based pancake mix and I love that stuff too. hmmm poi gel packs. just make um tasty!

baby formula mix, which you already mention previously. there the source of the poi cocktail just good ole island ingenuity - taro is indeed a staple food and always will be.

anyways just some thoughts. thanks again for sharing the article!

aha. must score some corms, upland kind. I see some wild plants by the stream every day but not sure can get in there.
    Last edited by poi cocktail :); May 24, 2005, 01:23 AM.
    this space for rent

Comment

Good thought, poi cocktai, about, perhaps, expanding the poi market into the realm of sports nutrition. I never really got into poi or taro that much when I lived in HI or even when I come back to visit. Maybe I've haven't had it at its best, though I have tried it fresh, after 2 days, after 3 days, the 1 finger, the 2 finger, etc., varieties. I just have to find somebody who makes it the way it's meant to be made. I'm pretty sure my clique of friends and ohana make poi marginally well.

When you mentioned "carbs"..that made me think. As a distance runner, I'm always looking for a food product that is high in carbs, yet easily digestible. I've never tried eating poi before a long run, but now that you've mentioned it, I think I'm going to experiment with it during my training runs on Oah'u, this December, for the upcoming Honolulu Marathon. I do carbo loading before marathons, like most do, but I'm thinking that it would be neat to power my marathon this year with food grown in Hawai'i. Last year I powered my marathon with Tim's Salt and Vinegar potato chips (hardly a good athlete's choice) with mixed results. No reason I can't power this year's marathon with a local food, which has in the past powered some pretty impressive local HI athletes, grown by local residents.

Comment

this is ignorant but do you mind telling me what poi is exactly? i heard it before alot ...... like the term fish and poi.... is it like tapioca?
        Ebb And Flow

Comment

interesting ay? from the hanalei poi lid:
          4 oz. serving (114 g)
          100 cals, 0 fat cals, 0 cholesterol, 0 saturated fat, 0 sugars, 1 g protein, 0 Vit. a & c, 0 calcium 0 iron, 15 mg sodium, 24 g total carbs, 100 calories

I forgot to grab the soy milk carton to see what that adds

from a zone perfect 50 g powerbar
          total fat 7g, sat. fat 3.5g, cholestero 0, sodium 360mg, potassium 65 mg, total carb 21 g, sugars 12 g, protein 16g, 210 calories

salt and water is one thing we have plenty of

let us know when ya get back / runner number so we can cheer you on!
          this space for rent

Comment

poi is made from the root of the taro / kalo plant, like a paste, but you can eat the whole plant too leaves and stalks too (surfingfarmboy it supposed to be like spinach!). I bet there is taro growing in Guam! plants have huge green elephant ear like leaves. check this link out for a lot of info: http://members.tripod.com/raygrogan2...rogrowcookeat/

ay wait a minute aren't we eating the cooked leaves inside all the lau laus or is that a different leaf too I getting all confused
            Last edited by poi cocktail :); May 24, 2005, 02:18 AM.
            this space for rent

Comment

lol ....... tanks very much man!
              Ebb And Flow

Comment

Working...
              X