You Are Going To Be Alright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Are Going To Be Alright

Does anyone have any idea what the story is behind this sign?

I so didn't expect to see it during a walk through downtown. I half expected a camera crew to jump out at me as I pondered its meaning...

Anyway, if you're ever feeling down, talk a walk down Hotel Street. One way or another, you'll probably feel better about your life afterward!

Re: You Are Going To Be Alright

There's a sign on Punchbowl Street that says "Caution: Sidewalk is Slippery When Trees Shed Flowers and Leaves." I always thought it a surprisingly poetic sign of warning. I even have a poem inspired by it, imagining that a frustrated English major working some lousy city-job created it, trying to find what poetry he can in such a job.

This one has it beat, although it was written by no english major, all right?
    Last edited by scrivener; May 24, 2005, 11:10 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just had the expected "alright is/isn't a word" argument with a coworker. I've posted a printout of this sign on the office wall.

I wonder if it's a forgotten "Lost" prop?

Comment

i've seen that sign, and at first i thought "wow, that's very nice of that sign"...then i thought "hey, how did this sign know that at the moment i could use some encouragement, or at least a genuine smile of my own...then i realized that sign presupposes at least some amount of uncertainty, or even despair, in everyone and anyone who passes by...and my world got a little darker...

but i'm sure that it was erected with good intentions...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Pzarquon, where on Hotel Street? Near Hawai'i Theater? Ft. Street Mall? Anything after, I would remember but no can register. Must have been put up since September 2004.

Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
            then i realized that sign presupposes at least some amount of uncertainty, or even despair, in everyone and anyone who passes by.
            That's what I thought. I'm like, "Of course everything is going to be fine. Why? What does this sign know that I don't?" When did you first see the sign? I'm trying to figure out how long it had been there. When I stopped to take the picture, a couple walking behind me also said they'd never noticed it before.

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Pzarquon, where on Hotel Street?
            It's on the makai, ewa side of Hotel Street across from the park behind Indigo Restaurant, near Hawaii Theatre, yes. I hope it's still there tomorrow, I'm going to bring my good camera. Heh.

Comment

I tried calling Burton White, manager for Hawai'i Theater but he may be out of town. Not answering. I'll try Matt, who is the manager for the the seating for shows. If anyone should know it would be them. Anybody else, uh...never mind. Oh, then there's Sista's near there who should be able to know the answer. I'll go down tomarrow, maybe tonight. It's bothering me.heheheheheh

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                That's what I thought. I'm like, "Of course everything is going to be fine. Why? What does this sign know that I don't?" When did you first see the sign? I'm trying to figure out how long it had been there. When I stopped to take the picture, a couple walking behind me also said they'd never noticed it before.

It's on the makai, ewa side of Hotel Street across from the park behind Indigo Restaurant, near Hawaii Theatre, yes. I hope it's still there tomorrow, I'm going to bring my good camera. Heh.
                it's funny, but i have no idea how long that sign has been there or even the first time i saw it...and i'm around there all the time!
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Burton. heheheheh He doesn't know too. He's excited about finding out and going to look for it now. Only on hawaiithreads.com, we get to be investigators. Now, that's wholesome fun that everyone get to enjoy.

Who is going to find out first? Let the game begin!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

I think it's part of some kind of art installation.

There's a big sign on Nuuanu that says "This is a sign"

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                      I think it's part of some kind of art installation. There's a big sign on Nuuanu that says "This is a sign"
                      Well now we're getting somewhere. That sounds quite likely. Where's the Nuuanu sign? How big is "big"? Now I'm going to have to walk through downtown more carefully. Too cool.

Comment

If you are on Nuuanu, I believe it's on the right-hand side somewhere between Beretania and Hotel, and it looks like a parking street sign.

Comment

Thanks AbsolutChaos! Art Pieces by Saint Marko from Maui, according to my good friend and fab artist, Roy Venters! Mahalo Roy.

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 24, 2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Snapped the other one today:

Any more out there? I hope so!

Comment

The Weekly editors picked up on this obviously hot topic on the back page of today's issue.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X