Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy in Hawaii

How will Best Buy impact us?

Based on this screenshot I took from their website while looking around, it looks like they're building 2 stores here, one in "Pearl City" (the window says Aiea, but when I called to confirm my job application, the person said Pearl City, and when I did an address search, it pointed to the Home Depot site in Pearl City, where Sam's Club and a future Wal Mart and CompUSA/Good Guys will be.

Sheesh, plenty competition in the electronics/computer department eh?
    Last edited by adrian; May 26, 2005, 03:37 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Best Buy in Hawaii

Based on a address search, the building being built where the old Tony car dealership used to sit isn't where BB will be at.
    It's not?

Honolulu Advertiser: "The company is seeking a zoning change and has filed applications for permits for a 50,000-square-foot store that would be built on the site of the former Tony Honda and Nissan dealership on Kamehameha Highway."

Pearl City Neighborhood Board: "Best Buy received a Special Management Area (SMA) Use Permit and rezoning approval of approximately 3.3 acres next to Harbor Center at the former Tony Honda and Tony Nissan Pearl Ridge."

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game: "A Best Buy is going up in the space that once housed Tony Honda Pearlridge, which occupied a building that was once the old Primo Brewery."

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a Best Buy, at least to keep Circuit City honest. I think the Pearlridge location is in the middle of an area that will be a total nightmare, traffic wise, but the one on Nimitz at Alakawa near Costco is where I'll probably shop most.

Edited to add: Ah, I see you've updated your post. Cool.

Comment

If it'll be near CC, then that'll be a competitive place.

Maybe CC and BB employees will walk to each other's stores to see how one another's doing in an attempt to one up each other.

Comment

Any idea where the Nimitz location is?

Someone said that it'll open at the end of July.

Comment

July 29. Big hootenanny, with hula dancers, live music...

It's on Alakawa at Nimitz, same cross street as Costco and Home Depot, or one long block koko head of the old Xerox building and Eagle Cafe.

Comment

Up here, Best Buy and Circuit City don't carry exactly the same merchandise. The BBs up here have computers and electronics for sure, but they also carry lots of washers, refrigerators, stoves and other major appliances, so the niches aren't the same. If Fry's ever gets to Oahu, it'll blow away all the other electronics stores in town.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Up here, Best Buy and Circuit City don't carry exactly the same merchandise. The BBs up here have computers and electronics for sure, but they also carry lots of washers, refrigerators, stoves and other major appliances, so the niches aren't the same. If Fry's ever gets to Oahu, it'll blow away all the other electronics stores in town.

Miulang
              So, its like a combo of Circuit City and Sears (or possibly Home Depot/Lowes)?

Comment

More like a Sears, without all the clothes. BB has lots of electronics (cell phones, computers, cameras, etc.), lots of audio (including CDs), TVs and the brand name major home appliances. We go there for the smaller computer components. We'd go to Fry's (prices are a whole lot better at Fry's) but that's about a half hour away in another town.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Gee Best Buy sounds like my closet. I got lots of electronics cuz I'm one of those gadget fanatics and an impulse buyer (worst combination). I seem to have a backup gadget for every gadget I bought because it seems if one great product is fantastic...whoa imagine two of em!

Yeah I got red laser pointers and high power green laser pointers, laser crap up the yin yang! Sharper Image was my hangout until I got bored with everything in the store.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Best Buy

Best Buy is openning a store in Iwilei on Nimitz and Alakawa on Friday July 29.

Comment

Earlier this week they had six or so "Geek Squad" VW beetles parked on the ramp. Looked pretty cool.

Friday's the big day. Live music, hula, and a crowd like you wouldn't believe.

Comment

I was planning on going to the openning during my lunch break, but I might go after work instead.

Comment

Same too with the BB's up here! We've always got our PC's, laptops and software progs here....

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang
                          Lovena

Comment

So, did anyone go? I was just afraid of the crowds. Figured it might pay to park in the Dole Cannery structure then walk over (through the little mall out the back by the Costco/Home Depot driveway).

I know there's going to big celebration stuff all day, and as late as 7:30 p.m. tonight I think Na Leo Pilimehana is performing. I'd avoid taking Nimitz to go home today if I worked downtown!

Comment

I usually end up not going to the Best Buy where I live because I can usually find whatever I'm needing for less money someplace else. For example, try comparison shopping for blank DVDs at Best Buy as compared to Circuit City. My Circuit City always gets my money.

Comment

Working...
                              X