How weird is your family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How weird is your family?

Maybe it's just me, but my family is weird. I have a need to get this off my chest. My daughter is getting married, sort of, Saturday. My daughter has always done things her way, usually creating trouble as she goes along life's way. This will be her third marriage. She and her husband to be, they have been tgether two years, have planned a ceremony on the golf course, the works. We had the rehearsal dinner tonight, a lovely meal. The only thing wrong with this wedding is SHE IS NOT DIVORCED We all know the divorce is not final yet but she is having the wedding now, paper work later. Crazy or what. Please share your weird family with me...............
    CKS

Re: How weird is your family?

Aloha Carolina Tutu!

Ok, ok.....I got a loving dysfunfunctional family! I'm the only one WEIRD! Nothing new or exciting, it's on my blog.

Hmmm...in Hawaii, if you get married, while still married to another that constitutes, Adultry. That is punishable by law. Is it the same in N. Carolina? If it is, then paper work is not supposed to be after but before said new marriage. I wouldn't take that chance, no matter how big the wedding. I wouldn't be able to use the excuse being Bi-polar either. The law is the law...my worst fear is going into the joint and being confronted by a bunch of burly women (no offense to anyone).

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It would only be weird and illegal if they applied for a marriage license from the State. A wedding ceremony in itself isn't considered illegal, and neither is a "wedding reception" unless they obtain that marriage license. If they did get that license, then there is some perjury involved, which would make it bigamy, as Aunty Lynn says. (Besides, gay couples have commitment ceremonies all the time, and then they have "wedding receptions" but these unions aren't legal either). So if you have to, consider your daughter's "wedding reception" as a prewedding party.

Sounds like no matter what you say, your daughter is going to do whatever she pleases anyway. If she chooses to get a marriage license under false pretenses, then she will have to suffer any consequences of her actions. All you can do is love her despite her ill-advised ways.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This is kinda interesting. I went to the S. Carolina government website and found articles in there about obtaining a marriage license by lying and discovered that the only punishment is a $100 fine and a misdemeanor citation.

"...Section 20-1-280. Penalty for furnishing false affidavit.

Any person furnishing the probate judge or any other officer authorized under the law to issue marriage licenses with a false affidavit shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined in the sum of one hundred dollars..."

And as I said earlier, if there's no marriage license, there's no legal wedding:

"...Section 20-1-360. Effect of article on marriage without license.

Nothing contained in this article shall render illegal any marriage contracted without the issuance of a license..."

from: http://usmarriagelaws.com/html/sc_ma...ovisions.shtml

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, please check Hawaii. I want to know for future reference. Good morning Tita!

I got it. 30 days in jail.

Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 28, 2005, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Hui Aunty Lynn:
            Here you go. Interesting to note that in Hawai'i first cousins can marry!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Hui Aunty Lynn:
              Here you go. Interesting to note that in Hawai'i first cousins can marry!

Miulang
              Das mess up! First cousins. Thanks for the link.

Comment

And if you look up bigamy laws in the US, here's a list of other states that don't treat bigamy as a big deal:

"...All 50 states have statutes against bigamy (multiple licensed marriages). In most states, bigamy is a felony.

In the following states, bigamy is a misdemeanor. However, once the penalty is paid, you are back at square one.

Alaska
                Arkansas
                Hawaii (petty misdemeanor-- 30 days in jail)
                Iowa
                Maine
                Missouri
                Montana
                Nebraska
                New Jersey
                Ohio
                Pennsylvania
                Rhode Island (misdemeanor, $1000)
                Tennessee
                Texas..."

from: http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/ext...ws/index.shtml

Miulang

Comment

Carolina Tutu, your daughter has been married to her new husband for a long time already, and no matter what a piece of paper says, she's been divorced from her first husband for a long time, too. Those pieces of paper are about public recognition, not about personal commitment. You might consider being proud that you raised a daughter who won't allow the marriage that exists legally but not spiritually to interfere with the celebration of her marriage that exists spiritually but not legally.
                  Last edited by scrivener; May 28, 2005, 08:30 AM.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thank you all for your remarks. I should tell you alittle more whats going on. My daughter is bipolar, she has three beautiful children. Jill is beautiful, 31 years old and is abit manic at this point. Her divorce was to be final last week. She planned and paid for the wedding thinking she would be divorced, there is no licence. So this is really a pre wedding party. The marriage will take place in July. This is the way her life goes, she is a tornado. I am traditional, God fearing and sure adultry bothers me. In South Carolina we don't marry our first cousins, we can marry our second cousins, if we are desperate.......... lolololo In fact it's a good idea to go out of state to find a mate. My husband is from Texas. haha In my area, everyone is related one way or another. I tell people our tree doesn't fork. Jill is not related to the groom, now thats a good thing. The "party is tonight at 7:00, it's still weird.......Aloha
                    CKS

Comment

Carolina Tutu, Have fun! Like I told you, being BI-Polar is no excuse for many things...with medications, one can live a NORMAL LIFE! If not taken, we tend to hurt those we love and care about the most.

Continue to be there no matter what. Bi-Polar does have it's ups and downs as well...being MANIC is no fun for the sufferer or their families. Once my cop daughter called the Police on me cause I was cleaning my living room at 3:00 am. They forced me to take my medication which knocked me out. When I awoke several hours and pills later, I was back to being balanced.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

I don't get it... you mean she's not even divorced from her first husband (and she's going to marry #3)?

Comment

- My Mom targets me everytime someone misplaces our camera, which she owns, but I use.
                          - Lets just say that my siblings are very spoiled (can get "free music" (with my Mom's credit card) from iTunes when me or my brother didn't have money to buy the latest CDs, got a camera phone when we didn't even hear of a cell phone (but we still could walk a few miles to Waikele and our Mom doesn't need us to call every 30 minutes); and they expect everything that I can get now, at their age (my sister's 10, and my brother is 15)
                          - My Mom is always bugging me to go her way, when I want to live life my way (always signing me up for things she want, when I don't even remotely know the thing about it)
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                          X