X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Law arrested

Innocent until proven guilty, but... breaking news:

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=3503 :

"The owner of two Waikiki nightclubs and former member of the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission was arrested yesterday on suspicion of three counts of second-degree sex assault.
    Jack Law, 58, allegedly assaulted a 30-year-old man in Kaimuki on May 21 at 5 p.m., according to police.
    "Investigators arrested him at his Sierra Drive home yesterday at 5:20 p.m. and released him last night pending investigation. Law had not been charged as of this morning.
    "Police would not release details about the alleged incident except that the suspect allegedly incapacitated his victim and assaulted him.
    "Hawaii Civil Rights Commission officials said Law served as a commissioner from 1996 to 2002. They would not comment about his arrest.
    "The commission was founded in 1990 as an arm of the state Department of Labor and Industrial Relations and enforces state laws prohibiting discrimination.
    "Law is also the founder of the nonprofit Honolulu Gay and Lesbian Cultural Foundation.
    "He is well known in the Waikiki business community as the owner of two longtime nightclubs, Hula’s Bar and Lei Stand on Kapahulu Avenue and the Wave Waikiki on Kalakaua Avenue.
    "He could not be reached for comment this morning."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Jack Law arrested

Waikiki nightclub owner quickly acquitted of all charges
    A Circuit Court jury needed less than an hour to acquit nightclub owner Jack Law today of charges that he gave a date rape drug to a 31-year-old man and sexually assaulted him at Law's Sierra Drive home last year... Law, owner of the Wave Waikiki which recently closed and Hula's Bar & Lei Stand in Waikiki, had been free on $150,000 bond.

Comment

Re: Jack Law

And another good story in the Advertiser today, plus this one in the Star-Bulletin. It took only 10 minutes for the jury to find him innocent. The poor guy spent an entire year with those phony charges hanging over his head. Jurors are quoted as saying that there was never enough evidence to have even brought the case to trial at all.
      Sometimes our legal system just, you know, sucks.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

According to TV reports, it took just five minutes to reach a verdict.

Comment

Uhhh, which station you watching, Joe? The “automated” one or the last place one? KITV reports on its web site the jury took “less than an hour” ...

Jury Acquits Prominent Businessman Of Sex Assault

I believe KGMB said the same thing, although the time element is not on their website. Are you sure it wasn’t one of those slip-of-the-tongue mistakes? 5 minutes seems kind of unlikely.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
          X