Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bait Cars: Battle auto theft and get a few yuks, too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait Cars: Battle auto theft and get a few yuks, too!

The Integrated Municipal Provincal Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) based in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada has followed the lead of several other major metro areas and introduced "bait cars" to catch auto thieves. They park an attractive car in a high-crime area, and in no time, a thief breaks in and drives off. Except with a bait car, there are cameras everywhere and the car can be shut down with the flip of a switch.

The best part, though, is that they are now posting video clips from their "bait car busts" on the web. It's like "Cops" meets "America's Funniest Home Videos."

Auto theft is a big problem here. I think this could work. We seize our share of sweet rides. The videocameras and kill switch aren't prohibitively expensive. In fact, I can see a private-public partnership. Akamai Bait Car Inc. sets up the cars, catches the criminals, and just holds the moron trapped inside until the cops catch up. The cops have all the evidence they need. Meanwhile, the company can sell the videos (or access to the videos online).

Re: Bait Cars: Battle auto theft and get a few yuks, too!

Doesn't HPD do something similar? (or was that for ricers, where they pull up along side other racers and let them race 'em?)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

there's an underground, vigilante group in the UK to bust bike thieves. they park a motorcycle in a high crime area and lay in wait in a van. of course some knucklehead shows up, cases the bike and tries to steal it. the group then springs into action, drags the perp into the van and administers their own brand of street justice there was a video of some guy getting the crap beat out of him and I think everyone who's ever had something stolen could appreciate this. fwiw, they control the beatings to not overdo it and kill the guy. so far. LOL!

batter, up!
      this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        Doesn't HPD do something similar? (or was that for ricers, where they pull up along side other racers and let them race 'em?)
        HPD did have a similar program, and local news media covered it as an unmitigated success. Bait cars with GPS, dashboard surveillance and remote kills switches. I haven't seen or read anything lately, though.
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Working...
        X