Clearwire Corporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearwire Corporation

Clearwire is planning to enter the Hawai'i market and become the state's first wireless Internet provider. Has anyone heard of these guys?

Re: Clearwire Corporation

They do have a website http://www.clearwire.com/. Frankly im unimpressed
    1.5Mbps speeds for 29.99 a month. Your better off getting Road Runner or
    Verizon Online DSL.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

the difference is that their wireless is WiMax which covers a broader area than WiFi and works more like an aircard for laptops.

Isn't there already an ISP over in Makiki doing a wireless WAN set up?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Great, if noobs use this and don't secure their connections, then hackers can grab files and use their networks undetected.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...608300338/1071

Regardless of whether I'll use it directly or not, competition is almost always better for the consumer.

Comment

Re: New player in the broadband market

Yes the broadband portability is going to be nice for an on the go professional.
            But man the speeds are atrocious. Give me a break, up to 1.5Mbps/256K
            is pathetic. On top of that VoIP services like Vonage may not work with Clearwire.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Wasn't Verizon DSL also 1500/256, but only 2 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555
                Wasn't Verizon DSL also 1500/256, but only 2 years ago?
                And Road Runner used to be 2Mbps/384K
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

I can hook you guys up with Clearwire, im a local dealer in hawaii. The promo for this month is $19.99 for the first 3 months with free activation on a 2 year contract. I can meet you anywhere and show you how it works. To set something up just give me a call at 808-680-0868 or 808-372-3140.
                  Thanks,
                  Kevin Hashimoto
                  Last edited by gohan2801; August 31, 2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

How much is activation? What would I be looking at if I just wanted to test-drive Clearwire for those first three months at $20 a month, basically?

I think the biggest liability with Clearwire is the power requirement. Unless you have a converter in your car, it's really not all that portable (and the box isn't exactly tiny). I hope the technology advances to the point where the units can be USB or battery powered, and give EVDO and other cellular technologies a run for the money.

Comment

not a happy guy...found on another discussion board:

For those of you just hearing about the New Clearwire internet
                      service coming to the area.
                      PLEASE for your own sanity and money DO NOT sign up to have
                      Clearwire installed.
                      First it is Junk, fails to work 90% of the time then after having
                      the so-called tech comes to your home in attempting to correct
                      the problem for 4 times (required by Clearwire) then when it still
                      fails to work you decide to cancel, now comes the shocker, they
                      charge you $180.00 cancellation fee and add it to your credit card.
                      I know at first hand, I also was suckered into their lies and Junk
                      equipment.
                      They will promise you everything but it is all lies. Hopefully none
                      of you will fall for their lies and be suckered into there claws.

Bubba

Comment

Well my way of activating clearwire wont give you an experience like this guy. I will bring it where ever you are and i will let you try it first before signing up so you will know the problems (If any) and also how good the service and speed is before you sign up. Also the activation is $50 and once you sign up there is no test drive. You do have 5 days return after activation and 30 days if the coverage is not available in your area. I have clearwire hooked up here at work and its great.

Comment

What about the $180 cancellation fee, Kevin? Presumably that's tied to cancelling a longer commitment. Can you get the three-month $20 discount without a year or two-year contract? Or will it start at $40/mo. if one goes month-to-month?

I tested an address at the Clearwire site and got the same $20 for three month offer, as well as a waived $50 activation fee... but I know those options definitely require a one or two-year contract.

By the way, here's Clearwire's Honolulu coverage map.

Comment

I've just signed up for Clearwire Buisness class and have two CP'S along with some other hardware networked in a small office. For me its been great, easy hook up, no installation problems and cheaper than RR.

Comment

Yes there is a $180 Cancellation fee, there is no month to month plan at this time and to get the free activation on the 2 year plan. i already do have the coverage map, but thanks for that now everyone else can see that.

Comment

Working...
                              X