"tourist cars"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "tourist cars"

I just saw a small go cart on Kapiolani this morning.

I've seen those cars around Waikiki, and I was wondering where one can rent one? (but I doubt I can fit in one, because I'm too big) and if they can send it to Waipahu for a day?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: "tourist cars"

Looks like a golf cart and doubt it's street legal.Also that truck trailing behind him can turn him and it into a sardine can.Just get a Mini Cooper if you want small.I can fit one into the back of my Honda Pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by ahola
      Looks like a golf cart and doubt it's street legal.Also that truck trailing behind him can turn him and it into a sardine can.Just get a Mini Cooper if you want small.I can fit one into the back of my Honda Pilot.

they are very legal and these and their ilk are rented by tourons by the dozens each and every day.
      the hope, while driving these lil t'ings is, people will not drive here, as they do in L.A..

Comment

Those vehicles look like accidents waiting to happen. You know it's going to happen. One day you'll wake up and read in the Hawaii section of the Advertiser something along the line: "2 tourists from mainland seriously injured by SUV while riding in mini-car". Those things look no better than mopeds.

There is a tourist island off the coast of Rhode Island called Block Island. Moped rentals were at one time all the rage there, that is, until, the lessors of these vehicles started realizing the potential lawsuit hazards they were exposed to with the mounting injuries tourists were racking up on Block Island while riding them. It was an extraordinary amount. I believe that island's only doctor (at that time) quit his practice in his version of a protest. He simply got tired of treating riders injured while riding on a moped. Mopeds were a huge problem out there for quite some time.

I can envision the same thing happening in Waikiki. It is inevitable; somebody will get plowed over by a trash truck or delivery truck. And when that happens, I bet the litigation "fun" will begin, despite the waivers lessees of these vehicles might sign before taking rental possession of the cars.

With the extreme traffic density found in areas of Waikiki and Ala Moana, (the areas your typical Waikiki tourist frequents), these mini-cars just don't seem to be a good fit.

Another thing: Just imagine if a renter of one of this cars attempted to take it up and over the Pali or the Likelike Hwy! Or something really extreme like Tantalus or Wilhelmina Rise.
        Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; June 7, 2005, 01:53 AM.

Comment

>>>Just get a Mini Cooper if you want small

Well, as a driver of one of those said "small" cars (Cooper), it's nice to know that I don't guzzle gas and can park anywhere. I wish SUVs were banned or required a special license to be operated. Plus, they should be taxed to oblivion. Especially in metro-Honolulu where (aside from Kapiolani Blvd.) there's a REAL need for 4WD. Everyone should be driving these "tourist cars."

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
            Another thing: Just imagine if a renter of one of this cars attempted to take it up and over the Pali or the Likelike Hwy! Or something really extreme like Tantalus or Wilhelmina Rise.
            well, of course, they are illegal on the freeways.
            (and Yes, they are told at point of renting, they shall NOT go on the freeways.)
            Nooo, they can't keep up with freeway traffic.
            Yeeesss, they are stopped by police and ticketed IF it is attempted. And Noooo.. they have not the power for steep tantalus grades.

and Noooo, Wilhelmina Rise is not yet known as a popular tourist destination.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              Wilhelmina Rise is not yet known as a popular tourist destination.
              True, I don't many know tourists that go there, but man, there are some great vistas from up there, along with I think the street that parallels it, 10th Ave..if that's the street Sierra Drive interesects with i think a minimum of 3 times. Really beautiful sight-lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                True, I don't many know tourists that go there,

have you heard of even one that did?

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                  >>>Just get a Mini Cooper if you want small

Well, as a driver of one of those said "small" cars (Cooper), it's nice to know that I don't guzzle gas and can park anywhere. I wish SUVs were banned or required a special license to be operated. Plus, they should be taxed to oblivion. Especially in metro-Honolulu where (aside from Kapiolani Blvd.) there's a REAL need for 4WD. Everyone should be driving these "tourist cars."

I regularly have 4 adults,could fit 3 more when needed,plus a child safety seat with a screaming rambunctious 4 year old in my Pilot.Can't see that working in a Coop.And all the trips down to the shore with the rear packed full of ice coolers and beach chairs and whatnot wouldn't be possible.Plus the DVD keeps the passengers happy watching The Matrix on long road trips.
                  Last edited by ahola; June 7, 2005, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahola
                    I regularly have 4 adults,could fit 3 more when needed,plus a child safety seat with a screaming rambunctious 4 year old in my Pilot.Can't see that working in a Coop.And all the trips down to the shore with the rear packed full of ice coolers and beach chairs and whatnot wouldn't be possible.Plus the DVD keeps the passengers happy watching The Matrix on long road trips.
                    Whatever happened to vans?

Now all I see is SUVs, especially with huge rims and tinted windows.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

no love for the moped, the 125 m.p.g. once darling of the fuel conscious world? still popular in most euro and asian cities and I think long will be.

mopeds been in the islands for 4 decades now. my dad taught me to ride mopeds here (the real kind, with pedal power) and that started a life long affair with two wheeled vehicles. I still have two classic Puchs stored away. those scoot cars are moped based, 50cc's I believe for the lax licensing (and maybe age restrictions?). they are tolerated, errr, all over SF as well just people on vacation having fun, give em a smile and wave meep meep meeep LOL

oh yeah rentals, waikiki of course. see the ads in back of the tourist rags.
                      Last edited by poi cocktail :); June 8, 2005, 02:25 PM.
                      this space for rent

Comment

I think those "cars" rent for like 60 bucks an hour because they are just so damn cute. For 60$ you could rent a real car all day.
                        You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Bandwidth exceeded on the go-cart picture :/

Next time, use www.imageshack.us . And/or link us the actual website, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            Whatever happened to vans?

Now all I see is SUVs, especially with huge rims and tinted windows.
                            I have to agree with you, for those whose argument is they got a ton of kids to haul around, it's called a minivan. In fact, you'll probably get more interior space with a minivan but guess what, it's not as cool looking. There's no "ruggedness" in the image. Unless you really do go off roading, or really do tow something on a regular basis, the SUV is nothing more than image.

Comment

Working...
                            X