New Koi Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Koi Pond

We have a KOI POND in the backyard of the house we bought, anyone know how to take care of it?

There are about 10, 5 inch fish, and a waterfall. From what I can see there are water jets that come out of the ground and the fish look happy. I can't wait to sit outside, due my homework, and watch my new friends play in the water.

Please help, no green thumb here!

Thanks Cnecki
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Re: New Koi Pond

Those 5" koi will soon grow to be 2-3' long fat eating machines.Hope your pond is big enough.A suitable koi pond should be 5-6' deep with 2000 gallons per adult koi,but most are far smaller.You won't have to worry about winter freezes but the extra depth would be good for protection from overheating in the sun and also from cats,herons,raccoons,etc.There is black nylon netting available if the predator problem is bad or you can put a plastic alligator on the banks to act as a scarecrow.Hikari makes good food pellets and they love lettuce,watercress,bread,etc.The koi I used to have were very tame and let me hand feed them and rub their sides.
    I like the butterfly koi for their finnage and metallic scaled Ogons are my favorite.There are many books and magazines on koi and you will be surprised at the many varieties and colorations available.In Japan they are serious about koi breeding and some award winning koi can go for tens of thousands of dollars.That's some expensive sashimi!

Comment

Re: New Koi Pond

From what I can see, the pond is about 6 feet wide and about 8 feet long. Maybe the depth is 4 feet. The pond is filled with lilly pads and the fish look clear eyed and happy. I plan on getting a book and reading about my new friends. I hope I can keep them healthy and happy and most of all stop GRANNY from fishing in the fish pond !!!. HA HA Thanks

Cnecki
      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
      X