Homegrown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homegrown

I have a friend who is looking for a song, doesn't know the title or who did it just knows that it was on one of the Homegrown albums, now my question is how many of those where made and can you still buy them?
    List of local people living on the mainland

Never forgotten

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/pomai44/pow.gif

Re: Homegrown

As far as I can remember ......four homegrown albums were made. IMO only HG1 and HG2 are worth looking for. For those of you on O'ahu ... the radio station who put them out is the best bet to find them( I can't remember the name).
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Homegrown albums were put out by KKUA in the Mid 70's. This was during the Ron Jacobs era at KKUA. If you are looking to obtain those albums, your best bet would be to check out Jellys. They usually have an album or two. This is probably one example where you wouldn't get them cheaper than the original price of 69 cents, which is what the first album sold for back in the mid 70's. 69 was the radio frequency of KKUA.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Wow I was just thinking about the Homegrown album (the first one) just the other day. The only songs from HG1 that remember off the top of my head are Oh Why Leave (loved the riffs and it sounded so backyard jammy) and Makapuu (which sounded kinda corny but I believe one person played all the instruments and sang all the parts... which was a technical wonder back then.)

Comment

HOMEGROWN, HAWAII'S OWN!!! eh! I still have the first 2 or 3 albums at my mom's house. if cannot get then someday I can try to make a copy on CD or something. so many great songs, not polished up but "pure" musical efforts. is this not where Noelani Cypriano (sp) got her start, signing that jazzy tune "Lihue"! check um out

how's the song go your friend like? one of my favs besides the ones already mentioned is E Ho'opili Mau I Ku'upu'uwai! Love it! Country Living Hawaii! Fujimura Store! oh so many good song.

KK... UA... Honolulu!
          Kawasami Kong!
          this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by poi cocktail :)
            KK... UA... Honolulu!
            Kawasami Kong!
            uh no. afraid not. That would be
            Kamasami Kong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai44
              I have a friend who is looking for a song, doesn't know the title or who did it just knows that it was on one of the Homegrown albums, now my question is how many of those where made and can you still buy them?

I have those albums still, from the old days!
              Got a quicktime clip of a gal buying the hibiscus cover Homegrown album from DJ's Sound City. 1977 film footage used in a tv commercial, I believe...
              Sure looks like makai side ground level ala moana shopping center. or some other mall. Don't remember where they were located, tho i hung out there alot...
              The clerk has dozens and dozens of 45's on the wall behind him.
              too cool...

Talked with my buddy RJ today and he reminds me habilitat handles the album now:
              http://www.habilitat.org/products.html

Comment

Even though I grew up in Hawai'i, and presume myself to be something of a music afficionado, the only Homegrown I can recall is a punk-ska outfit from So-Cal that my old band played with here and on the mainland. They had a flash in the pan single called "Surfer Girl" or something. I'd love to hear some of the 1st Homegrown, if only to stoke the fires of a barely smoldering memory.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

kamasami kawasami you know whodaguy talking about ok old futs what song always came on at 12 midnight then? not that it's a hard one for remember, everybody who listened back then knows it.
                  this space for rent

Comment

Was it Europa?... or was that another station

Comment

Just a thought... Do you think Homegrown could work now? I mean sure we have talent in the islands ...but how many can write an original song? Maybe Jack Johnson. I think the most bands in Hawaii are "wedding singer,cover bands". Speaking of feeling old,does anyone still have the KIKI Brownbags to Stardom albums? Talk about classic...Tia Carrae(sp) aka Althea Janniro(sp) on Brown Bags 2!
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

There are a lot more bands out there than cover bands, though those are the ones you'll encounter most often at weddings and festivals. Heck, just browse some of the scrappy, independent musicians in Hawaii who set up profiles at MySpace. Bookmark 808Shows.com. I even feature independent artists on my dorky podcast. I'm always amazed and impressed with the wide range of styles and sounds we've got out here... and I don't even go to clubs or gigs!

Comment

cezanne you got it, Europa
                          this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by poi cocktail :)
                            cezanne you got it, Europa
                            Really? Wow I think the last time I listened to double-k u a was the early 80s when Kamasami Kong was there.

Comment

I remember going to DJs Sound City (Exactly where Kimo remembers it, and in Pearl Ridge as well) every week to pick up KKUA's weekly top hits pamphlet that had their tp songs listed inside and was printed on a different color paper every week. The wall of 45s was all I ever looked at, because that was a all I could afford at that young age.

Comment

Working...
                              X