How to treat people with dementia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to treat people with dementia?

We just got a new client today, and she has dementia.

This is the first time I'll be dealing with it, and with school and other things that I need to take care of, I need some advice (I'm currently checking the internet for some resources to help the transition smoother).

If you know someone with dementia, how do you help them? Is there any special things needed?

(fyi, about my job I'll put that on hold for a while, because I'll deal with the foster home thing first, where my Mom needs me)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How to treat people with dementia?

oops link mistake...sorry!

My mom's love of thirty years died from this disease. It is heartbreaking and slow to watch as the man or woman deteroriates into someone that knows you not.

Auntie Lynn aka Autnie Pupule

Please take care of all your patients with kindness, love and compassion...someday, you too will be old and frail. hugs and kisses from me to them!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      oops link mistake...sorry!

My mom's love of thirty years died from this disease. It is heartbreaking and slow to watch as the man or woman deteroriates into someone that knows you not.

Auntie Lynn aka Autnie Pupule

Please take care of all your patients with kindness, love and compassion...someday, you too will be old and frail. hugs and kisses from me to them!
      The lady seems like a wonderful person. She just gave me a "reading" (I told her my bday month, and she told me how I get out of the way to help others, and often don't pay attention to my needs until its too late) and it was accurate (then she rambled on about how you can trust God in the things you do and always ask him for help and stuff, but I already know that from going to 12+ years of church school).

I just hope that these two can help each other and help us take care of them for a long time.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        We just got a new client today, and she has dementia.

This is the first time I'll be dealing with it, and with school and other things that I need to take care of, I need some advice (I'm currently checking the internet for some resources to help the transition smoother).

If you know someone with dementia, how do you help them? Is there any special things needed?

(fyi, about my job I'll put that on hold for a while, because I'll deal with the foster home thing first, where my Mom needs me)
        My mom has dementia. A couple of things you don't want to do for sure: don't yell at her when she does something wrong. It won't make her change her behavior and might make her act out more. Use a lot of patience. People with dementia are not children and shouldn't be treated that way. If she has periods when she acts kind of normal, talk to her in a normal way. If she's totally out of it, still treat her kindly and talk quietly to her (even if she doesn't respond). If she'll let you, hold her hand and pat it. All human beings crave human contact.

One thing you have to worry about is her running away. Make sure you have locks on the door that she can't open (if possible, put the locks above or below her line of sight. What she can't see, she won't touch). Make sure she has some kind of ID on her at all times (bracelet, necklace, etc. with her name and address on it in case she does wander off). If she keeps repeating things, don't try to correct her by saying, "you already said that." All it will do is make you frustrated. She will probably also be a "sundowner". She'll go to sleep early and then wake up at some weird hour of the morning and start being very active. The doctors can write prescriptions for tranquilizers to minimize this, but you have to watch carefully and make sure the dose is correct. Older people can only tolerate lower doses of drugs, and many can become overmedicated (one symptom of overdose is if they appear sleepy all the time).

Good luck with this. Your family is helping out another family who probably is at the end of their rope dealing with her. It is very frustrating to see a loved one deteriorate in this way because after a while, you can't really get through to that person. It's almost like you see the shell of the person, but the inner soul has been sucked out of the body.

I really hope someday soon that they find a cure for dementia and Alzheimer's. It's not a pleasant way to end one's life.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X