Cockroach repellent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockroach repellent

I've got a bunch of stuff in storage boxes that I have to leave in an area that, unfortunately, has roaches. Big red B-52 roaches. What can I do to keep them out of my boxes? Is there a good roach repellent that I can use? I have a feeling that if I do nothing, I'll come back in six months and find all my stuff crawling with the damn bugs and encrusted with stinky roach stains.

Re: Cockroach repellent

Would it be a big problem for you to either wrap your belongings in a plastic bag or visa versa, then put it in a storage box? I recommend Roach Hotel or spraying the area at least once a week...or you can put one of those smoke bombs once a month so the critters get the message or die!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Is there a good roach repellent that I can use?
      there's this great gooey molasses kine stuff that comes in a clunky syringe type thing. Industrial powah kine stuffs. No gettum on da skeen, oddawise get one puka on da kine. Squirt a little puddle at each end of yer storage unit. Da cokadaroches take a bite... yumyuum! and hele on back to da hale, somehow it also affects da odda ones, den, bumbai, make-die-dead all da buggahs!

month later, you come back, no mo da kine, all da roches steh laying on their backs, prayin ta da beek stinkbug in da sky, sayin; "get me a lawyer! park and lock it! not responsible! wanted to ride da skyslide before i die. oh, the humanity! the horror. the horror..."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Would it be a big problem for you to either wrap your belongings in a plastic bag or visa versa, then put it in a storage box?
        I was hoping to avoid the work of having to do that, but it's probably the best idea. They've got those 2-gallon ziploc bags, I guess those would keep the roaches out. Of course, the inside surfaces of the boxes will still be infested, but at least my stuff will be protected. Thanks Aunty.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          there's this great gooey molasses kine stuff that comes in a clunky syringe type thing. Industrial powah kine stuffs. No gettum on da skeen, oddawise get one puka on da kine. Squirt a little puddle at each end of yer storage unit. Da cokadaroches take a bite... yumyuum! and hele on back to da hale, somehow it also affects da odda ones, den, bumbai, make-die-dead all da buggahs!

month later, you come back, no mo da kine, all da roches steh laying on their backs, prayin ta da beek stinkbug in da sky, sayin; "get me a lawyer! park and lock it! not responsible! wanted to ride da skyslide before i die. oh, the humanity! the horror. the horror..."
          Oooookay. Where do you get this stuff and what's it called?

Comment

Oooookay. Where do you get this stuff and what's it called?

nooooot oookkkkkeeeey. on both counts.
            I forget.
            dass all i know.
            (Well, I know alot, but about dat, dass all i know!)

addendum:
            you like find da kine?
            holoholo on ovah shiddy mill or home despot, axem about da kine. try fo describe um. maybe gettum.
            Last edited by kimo55; June 9, 2005, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I was hoping to avoid the work of having to do that, but it's probably the best idea. They've got those 2-gallon ziploc bags, I guess those would keep the roaches out. Of course, the inside surfaces of the boxes will still be infested, but at least my stuff will be protected. Thanks Aunty.

ho, you not been kama'aina too long, eh!?

da buggahs get insai anything!
              hermetically sealed glass! not a problem.
              zip lok!?
              ha. they spit on ziplok!
              from da insai!

Comment

When I lived on Maui, they used to say to put borax in your storage boxes (like "20 Mule Team"). They said when da cockaroaches eat da stuff, it mixes wit da body fluids and makes 'em explode! And it's safe for people and animals and has other household uses, too.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  and makes 'em explode!
                  .... has other household uses, too.

Miulang

yea, i can see it now;
                  Entertain yer out of town guests!

"Ok, Klem and Dora, now we come to the segment of tonite's entertainment we call; 'Da explodin Hawaiian cockaroaches'.

Ho, da good fun, eh!?"
                  pluck wings from yer beer.
                  dodge da eggsack.
                  pull sharp leg shrapnel from your eyes!

who needs Gallagher?

Comment

buy a good quality "roach motel" such as HoyHoy's Trap-A-Roach, and use them liberally. put them on top of the boxes, next to the boxes, all over the place. be sure to occasionally throw out the old ones, as they loss their stickiness (effectiveness) , and also if they are full of decaying roach bodies they can aggravate allergies.

Comment

We were given one of those molasses-containing syringes by our exterminator: Grim Reaper Pest Control. They're in the phone book. I don't think it's too cheap, though.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        They said when da cockaroaches eat da stuff, it mixes wit da body fluids and makes 'em explode! And it's safe for people and animals and has other household uses, too.
                        What really happens is that the boric acid creates micro-abrasions on the roaches' exoskeletons and this causes them to dehydrate. It won't keep roaches out, but it will kill the roaches who walk through it. I read somewhere that cinnamon sticks and whole cloves will keep roaches away--if this is true, something like this would seem to work well for your situation, since you're talking about a box. Just toss a bunch of cloves and cinnamon sticks in there. Six months might be long, though: I've been told the effectiveness declines as time progresses, and the stuff needs to be replaced with fresh stock.
                        Last edited by scrivener; June 9, 2005, 11:03 PM. Reason: added a second STRAIGHT DOPE link
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          I read somewhere that cinnamon sticks and whole cloves will keep roaches away--if this is true, something like this would seem to work well for your situation, since you're talking about a box. Just toss a bunch of cloves and cinnamon sticks in there. Six months might be long, though: I've been told the effectiveness declines as time progresses, and the stuff needs to be replaced with fresh stock.
                          And your stuff will smell like apple pie too! I prefer using remedies like this and borax instead of those insecticides. Besides being safer for living things, the natural repellents cost a whole lot less.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I recommend just droppin da wallet and investing in that molasses syringe thing. search it out. you will NOT have cockaroahes in yer storage unit ever again, if the stuff does the trick for you as it worked for me.
                            Everything was killed and they never returned.

Comment

Use boric acid u can buy from Long's Drug to kill them and laurel or bay leaves to repel them from in your utensil and kitchen knive drawers. it really works!! got it off from the internet. jus google it!

our apartment was infested and in one month our kitchen has no sign of dem little buggahz. dey all dehydrated and died and they don't like the bay leaves and avoid the cupboard, drawers and cabinets. Just throw some leaves wheaevahz u no like dem go.

good luck!
                              Reggie aka pinakboy
                              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                              Recipe Tube TV!
                              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
                              X