Jackie's Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackie's Kitchen

I was in the Ala Moana Shopping during my day off and I went to Jackie's Kitchen for a late lunch (around 2pm). The place wasn't that full, ordered the Accidental Chicken and Chicken Spring Rolls. Service was okay, the Chicken Spring Rolls was okay and while the Accidental Chicken was okay, it was kind of small but the server mentioned that lunch specials were small portions, which is fine since the prices are much cheaper. What got me is they served the rice as one massive scoop shaped like a manapua. I think the amount of rice was at least two and half scoops of rice.

Re: Jackie's Kitchen

I wasn't impressed with this place, food-wise...pretty generic and bland.

Instead, go for drinks at the bar so you can watch the bartenders do their "Cocktail" style flair. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
      I wasn't impressed with this place, food-wise...pretty generic and bland.

Instead, go for drinks at the bar so you can watch the bartenders do their "Cocktail" style flair. :-)

they are fun guys.
      many worked at kapono's and some still at both.
      Cache, the main dude there, is da bruddah who puts on the local (of course) 'flair bartending' contests.

Comment

Some local geeks took some visitors there, and both they and I weren't impressed at all. Service okay, food a notch below mediocre. We sensed a strong desire to be creative with the dishes, but not a good sense for what works well. We ordered from all over the menu. Every dish had a bit of Asian Flair(tm) added, like adding wasabi to this, teriyaki sauce to that, but it wasn't very good or even inedible. I'd say 70 percent of the food that came to our table of twelve went to waste.

I imagine what you're paying for is the name, and the snazzy decor. People don't go to Planet Hollywood for the food, either. They were playing Jackie Chan movies on every wall, and while I'm generally a fan, it's not too easy to eat when you're watching a man's face get pummeled.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          People don't go to Planet Hollywood for the food, either.
          How is the food at Planet Hollywood? I am not into the Hollywood thing, but I've been curious and would go if someone told me the food was good. I imagine something along the lines of Dave & Busters or the Hard Rock. I love that kind of food.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            I imagine something along the lines of Dave & Busters or the Hard Rock. I love that kind of food.

got horror stories re; dave and busters.

as a rule, i stay away as much as possible from corporate chain restaurants;
            soul-less, empty bland junk.

Comment

I think Planet Hollywood's the one that's got the Capt'n Crunch chicken, which is pretty good, and they put their fries into this weird contraption but offer several pretty tasty dips to go alongside. They also make some pretty interesting cocktails.

The Planet Hollywood in Lahaina went belly up a couple of years ago and the chain filed for bankruptcy awhile back. Sly Stallone used to jet in to Maui periodically (when he was still a shareholder) to check in. I think Arnie was a shareholder at one time, too.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

we neva go dea yet but a few of my friends said wasn't all dat. so i not banging down deir doors. lol
                Reggie aka pinakboy
                Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                Recipe Tube TV!
                Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
                X