Used record stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used record stores?

Are their any used record stores on the island? We love collecting used vinyl and making our own rare CD's. Looking into having a mobile new and used record trailer to take to the swap meet. Daddy gonna spin and the Keiki's help the daddy when they can.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Re: Used record stores?

" We love collecting used vinyl "

almost no odda kine nowdays.

" Looking into having a mobile new and used record trailer to take to the swap meet. "

sell old records at da swap meet?

da buggahs goin warp all ta heck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cnecki
      Daddy gonna spin

what's dat mean?!

he goin work out on one o doze stationary excercise bikes at da swap meet?!
      Last edited by kimo55; June 10, 2005, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Jelly's has a great collection of used vinyl as well as new and used CDs.

There's another chain, Cheapos. They have one in the University area.

Others that have fallen by the wayside are Froggies, Interlude, and Radio Free Hawaii (I believe became Jelly's before closing).

I'm sure there are others that I missed.
        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto

There's another chain, Cheapos. They have one in the University area.

oh, no they don't!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            " We love collecting used vinyl "
            almost no odda kine nowdays.
            Almost? Yeah right. There are still DJs out there who work with vinyl. They play music Kimo probably doesn't like (hip-hop and house), but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

Now watch. Kimo will ignore the fact that he's wrong and will rant instead about how music today isn't like some of the crap he listened to back in the 40's and 50's.

Comment

But ya know music today isn't like some of the crap I listened to back in the 70's and 80's.
              They created some REAL house techno-trance stuff back then. None o this plagarised hippity-hop music.

...altho the newer junk does have its uses...
              Martin Denny realised more royalties from the J.Lo sampling of one of his hits than he had ever seen from any one record of his.

Comment

Well the Daddy used to spin back in the day, and still puts the loud sounds I hate in the cars, no matter what I do he insists it is okay for him to twek the system and upgrade the speakers.

Since this has been the Daddys hobby for sooooooo long, I thought " I might as well let him blow out the Swap Meet instead of ME for a change! and make a little money at the same time"

The truck we are looking into will have a drop down or roll up door (the length of the trailer) a ramp so people can walk in, a DJ booth and a variety of hard to find music. We are hoping to have a generator put in or on to blow cool air.

Ya Kimo the records will become frisbies without the air MAJOR priority!!!!!!

The plan is to have Wednesdays-Oldies, Saturdays-Local music, and Sundays-Mixture of dance, and hard to find 70's 80's and 90's music

I hope his dream comes true, they call him the Music Man here in the LB, can't wait to come home.
                Last edited by Cnecki; June 10, 2005, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Since this has been the Daddys hobby for sooooooo long, I thought " I might as well let him blow out the Swap Meet instead of ME for a change!
                  We are hoping to have a generator put in or on to blow cool air.

weeellll, I dunno about that. Part of the enjoyment for me and many others is the relaxing air evident at the swap meet... if yer selling or buying, hangin wit da ohana, stolling around, a quiet day in paradise is what is afforded at da swapmeet..,
                  Nooo... I don't think a loud generator and music being blown out would be a welcome element there. That is just not done in Hawaii. We have Jawaiian and Hawaiian music vendors and ma bruddah Pete and his Samoa music and one or two other Cd booths and they play stuff that, two spaces beyond, is not heard.

are ya talking about selling vinyl lps?
                  we see albums alla time there, all types available; oldies, Hawaiian, local favorites, rock pop stuff from all decades and ya can't give em away. ..and contrary to what may be refuted, almost all households prefer cds, since almost no one has a working turntable, if at all.
                  Last edited by kimo55; June 10, 2005, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Ooooh your fast. I was just reading the post to the daddy and your reply was there already. We really want a relaxing environment too. The daddy likes smooth music not the fast bumping kind, we were only going to include it for the youngsters. We will stick with the nice music and show homage to the Ohana! Thanks we will stick to what we like and blend in as we should!!! Thanks

Comment

Ooooh your fast.
                      My fast?!
                      my fast what?
                      The daddy likes smooth music not the fast bumping kind, we were only going to include it for the youngsters.

smooth or bumpy.
                      Oldsters or youngsters.
                      we no like anything loud, out there.

Comment

Yes, because Kimo is the president of the swap meet and knows what everyone who ever shops there wants out of the experience.

And no matter what some people may try to convince you of, there are still turntables being used. Last time I checked, you could even buy one at Shirokiya, and there were a number of high-end choices at some of those stores like Sam Sung, etc.

Besides baby boomers who own them to play their LPs from the 60's and 70's, I've seen people in their 20's and 30's who have one in their entertainment center, next to the DVD player and MiniDisc deck.

Turntables aren't nearly as popular as CD players, but they aren't extinct like a Betamax or 8-track player.

Comment

Fast meaning you responded fast on the sight

also CDs are the preference, but you would be surprised how many people love to fix or buy new turn tables to hear there vinyl.

This is a hobby that alot of people, young, old and so on like to do. Again we are here to add to the island not take away.

No need to fret, not the neighborhood hoodlom that drives by at 12 pm and rattles your windows or your shopping bags!

Comment

Just FYI, Cheapos closed earlier this year. No more at UH or anywhere. The only place I think that is still selling used vinyl is Jelly's at Aiea behind Cutter Ford. Last I checked Norm is still running that Jelly's.

As for vinyl, I am one of the few (or is it the many) that still has a working turntable which I use from time to time to play my old LPs and 45s. What I have done lately is digitize some of those vinyl tracks I own that are not on CDs. There are many older albums and songs that have not been issued to CD.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              As for vinyl, I am one of the few (or is it the many) that still has a working turntable which I use from time to time to play my old LPs and 45s. What I have done lately is digitize some of those vinyl tracks I own that are not on CDs. There are many older albums and songs that have not been issued to CD.

yea. know whatcha mean. that's my next project; digitizing as many of my records as i can from all the years olf collecting early gabby, 60's 70's hawaiian and Polynesian, all the classic rock, as well as the casettes saved from the 70's and on.
                              Got two Technics turntables here;
                              an SL 110A and an SL-B270 ready for the job...
                              Rather do the job myself than buy the cd's. I prefer the old analog sound; all the scratches and pops I don't mind at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X