Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii government jobs for Hawaii Residents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii government jobs for Hawaii Residents?

This lawsuit is going to bring up some interesting discussions within the State and each County, I can tell.

By having the restriction of current Hawai'i residency for most City and County jobs, Hawai'i might find itself on the horns of a dilemma because 1) Hawai'i's economy is so strong that government jobs are the last to be filled because comparable private-sector jobs pay more and are therefore more desirable to locals because of the high cost of living in Hawai'i, and 2) there are lots of qualified Mainlanders who would love to find jobs in Hawai'i but are disqualified by the residency requirement.

It'll be interesting to see how this drama resolves itself. I hope the private sector doesn't use Hawai'i residency as a method of eliminating qualified mainland candidates, especially expats who want to return to the aina.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawaii government jobs for Hawaii Residents?

I wonder what the intent of that policy is. Is it just lousy wording meaning you gotta be able to commute to your job and be in the office each day, or is it meant to be as discriminatory as it seems?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Hawaii government jobs for Hawaii Residents?

I assume that the HI Residency stipulation is meant to ensure a higher chance of people not quitting soon after getting hired to move back to the Mainland or elsewhere? There is a high transient population here, after all...island fever plus high cost of living, etc...

Comment

Working...
      X