Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamehameha's resting place

Happy Kamehameha day.
    Today's 'tiser has much on the celebrations among which is an intriguing article wherein a Hawaiian Culture expert requests a recently found map of 1819 be looked into by the state Burials Council, as it claims the location of Tamehameha's burial place. (alternate archaic spelling)
    Unlikely, as he died in 1819 and his remains were secreted away, in the deep dead dark of night and it is reported, reburied a few times after that.
    I submit the remains of Kamehameha should not be turned into a treasure hunt to any degree.

The article also contains something of possible interest to Kilinahe, and others who feel spelling the word with an "r" instead of "l" is childish and infantile; the map also refers to "Kairua Bay". (Personally, I find history stimulating, and learning about it helps to break out of our ethnocentric views and limited perspective...)

Re: Tamehameha's resting place

Originally posted by kimo55
    The article also contains something of possible interest to Kilinahe, and others who feel spelling the word with an "r" instead of "l" is childish and infantile; the map also refers to "Kairua Bay". (Personally, I find history stimulating, and learning about it helps to break out of our ethnocentric views and limited perspective...)
    Maybe the cartographer (more than likely a non-Hawaiian) had a hearing impediment (i.e., couldn't understand what the natives were saying). I mean look at all the old documents from the whalers who visited the 'aina in the 1800s. Most of those guys mistook the Hawaiian "l" for "r" too. And since the kanaka maoli really didn't have a written language until after the missionaries arrived, it was probably hard for the caucasians to understand what the kanaka maoli were saying. It's still going on, only in the reverse...we make fun of Asians by replacing r's with l's (as in "he eats too much lice")

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Tamehameha's resting place

Originally posted by Miulang
      Maybe the cartographer (more than likely a non-Hawaiian) had a hearing impediment

Miulang
      Oh, Miu! So funny.

No, this would not be the case.

It's still going on, only in the reverse...we make fun of Asians by replacing r's with l's (as in "he eats too much lice")
      this is unrelated.
      Altho many would like to read everything as politically incorrect, childish and immature. And this, on an island whose major entertainer is Frank DeLima... How you figgah.
      Last edited by kimo55; June 13, 2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X