Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants & Spider Repellents?

Speaking of Roach Repellents,(by GM)

Would any one here have any answers for pesky ants & spiders??

Any repellents for them??

Ants, not aunts. Althought, I probably
    would like to repel an aunt of mine sometimes. LOL.

Seriously folks. I am also looking to repel spiders as well as ants.

Any sugestions?? & any sugestions would be so helpful.

Thank you, Aloha & Take care.

Serenity.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Ants & Spider Repellents(?)

There's this liquid drop stuff that you put on little 1/2" squares of cardboard (for interior use...for outside use I just placed drops wherever) ... the name escapes me.. "Terra"-something. It came in an orange box. Anyway, you place the bait at strategic places and soon you will see the ants lined up drinking the liquid. It supposedly actually makes them dehydrated and they die.

I think you can make the same stuff at home from what I heard: it's water, boric acid (or borax...forget which one) and some sugar. But the stuff works... I don't think it works on spiders though.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
      There's this liquid drop stuff that you put on little 1/2" squares of cardboard (for interior use...for outside use I just placed drops wherever) ... the name escapes me.. "Terra"-something. It came in an orange box. Anyway, you place the bait at strategic places and soon you will see the ants lined up drinking the liquid. It supposedly actually makes them dehydrated and they die.

I think you can make the same stuff at home from what I heard: it's water, boric acid (or borax...forget which one) and some sugar. But the stuff works... I don't think it works on spiders though.
      Hey Thanks for replying back!. Sorry so late in responding, though.

Thanks for that last info.(RE: Boric Acid + Sugar)

If you do remember that name (RE: "Terra" something), Please let me know.

I do have Boric Acid here at home, & I have placed them where ants seem to line up mostly, & it seems like that alone haven't stoped them yet, including that COMBAT ant traps.

But, I will definately try it with sugar(+ boric acid) this time,
      & totally kill those bastid ants!. GRRRR!.

Thanks so much again.

Do have a wonderful day & week.

Take Care & Aloha.
      Aches & Pains

Comment

The product is Terro.

You can also mix a 5% solution of boric acid jelly (19 parts jelly and 1 part boric acid). Mix well, then suck into a straw (if you get some in your mouth, do not worry, the boric acid in that concentration should not hurt you). Then cut the straws into 1" sections and leave around for ants to eat, and take back to their nest to kill the nest.
        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Ants like three kinds of food: protein, carbohydrates and fats. Different types of ant usually prefer one food over another. You should try to find out what type of food your pesky ants prefer, so put out a drop of peanut butter (protein), sugar water (carbohydate), and some kind of fat or oil. See which one the ants like best.
          You can make a homemade boric-acid bait: 1 1/2 teaspoons of boric acid powder with one cup of water plus 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Fill small jars with cotton balls and soak the cotton with the liquid. Poke hole in the tops of the jars so ants can move in and out. Be care to place the jars out of the reach of pets and children.
          You want the ants to be able to take the poison back to the nest so the colony is killed. If many ants are dying around the bait station, there is too much poison. If the ants aren't reduced in number within a week, the formula is too weak.
          If you know what food your ants prefer (see above), bait the traps with a small amount.
          Now, after knowing all that, I still find that I have problems with HAWAIIAN CARPENTER ANTS (not to be confused with mainland carpenter ants). Hawaiian Carpenter Ants won't take the bait. Any suggestions on how to control them?? They grow big and strong here in Kona!

Comment

WOW!. Thanks soo much...

Motto & SouthKona

Both of your sugestions are so helpful!. \m/ thank you very much!.

I will definately use those 2 ideas for sure!.

Take care & God bless you two : Motto & SouthKona.

Aloha.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

i just saw in the market today a large container (size of a soda can) of boric acid, advetrised as to be used against roaches. it was pretty cheap, less than $5. i'd think that product would work for the bait. it was in with all the other pest control products.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                i just saw in the market today a large container (size of a soda can) of boric acid, advetrised as to be used against roaches. it was pretty cheap, less than $5. i'd think that product would work for the bait. it was in with all the other pest control products.
                WOW!. Way cool, SouthKona, Thanks.
                Next time my hubby & I go shopping,
                I 'll remember to pick that one out. \m/
                Thanks again!. *thumbs up smiley*

Aloha.
                Aches & Pains

Comment

Crazy ants are driving me crazy!!!

My kitchen has had random crazy ants since I moved in. (I call them 'crazy ants' because all they do is run around like crazy). Now I've found a conga line of them in the bathroom! Not lots, but just enough to bug me!

I want to repel them. Not kill them - dead stationary ants are grosser than live running around ants.

I did a search here on ants, but I don't want them dead, just out of the house!! They have a whole nice yard to play in outside. Is there anything I can fend them away with, or am I just going to have to kill entire innocent colonies? Go away, ants - before its too late!

I ant-chalked the windows, but they seem to hopscotch right over that. And they always hang around the sink in the kitchen, which I don't understand, unless they like swimming.

I can't even figure out how they get in, cuz they run around so crazy! Aaargh!
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

me thinks dem guys is looking for water, turtlegirl.

me, i kill them. they can be very destructive especially to plants. bought some torro (sp) bait traps that seem to work.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      [...]
                      I want to repel them. Not kill them - dead stationary ants are grosser than live running around ants.[...]
                      I don't have ants in town but I do in Makaha. When I clean up the kitchen after a meal I spray a vinegar and water mix on the counter tops and the sink and leave it to dry on it's own. That seems to repel them.

Ants love Terro! They eat it then go elsewhere to die.

Comment

I'm told, the orange bug bombs sold only(?) at Ace Hardware are the best anti-bug killer/repelant on the islands.
                        The bombs will chase most buggers away and it seems to have a long staying power to keep them away for over a month. Even centipedes konk out, or stay away with a single application.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Wal-Mart-- I use the Terro ant bait containers (yummy sugar water with a borate chaser) where they enter the house and a puddle of the same where I can't put a container. It takes two or three days for them all to carry it back to the nest, so keep feeding and re-wet the puddles every day. The black ant nests have more than one queen so it can take several weeks to discourage everyone.

If you can find the nest entry on the ground then you could use an outdoor Terro ant bait container (it holds about a quarter-cup of the liquid) , dribble some around the perimeter, and then set the container on top of the puddle to encourage them to move from the puddles into the open buffet.

Yesterday I sprinkled a whole bag of Terro ant bait granules around the outside trails where they usually enter the house. (I've never tried the granules before.) There were thousands of ants circling the perimeter while I was spreading the granules, but no ants were hanging around the house at sundown and we'll see what today brings.

You can make your own bait with a 5% borate solution (like Borax & water) and add sugar or corn syrup. However the Terro containers are very convenient and the liquid doesn't crystallize as fast as the homebrew solutions.
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Since I've been away for 2 weeks - the ants have gone ballistic!! They're everywhere!! I. am. so. irritated. by. them. (feigning composure)

It's war!! The ants are finished! I tried boric acid powder before, but I'm off to the hardware store for Terro. Lots. Indoor and outdoor Terro. I'll update here on my ant adventures soon!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

We have a major ant problem in our condo building, which is starting to get under control following a year or so of monthly visits from exterminators. But we used to see much larger infestations from time to time. We tried a version of Terro, which was of some help but usually just meant the ants in one nest were wiped out, so another one would appear.

In our building, we were dealing with those little ants that reek of formic acid when you crush them. They are drawn to water, grease & sugar. I think the Hawai`i-variety of "crazy ants" may be related, though smaller in size.

We made our own ant bait and ant traps, which has worked tremendously well, as long as you can place them near where the ants are entering your home. Here's the recipe ---

1 c. water
                              1/3 c. sugar
                              1 teaspoon boric acid
                              One 35mm film canister.

Pour some of this mixture into a black film canister with a lid into which you have poked holes right below the closed rim of the lid. Turn upside down so the canister works like a feeder. Squeeze the canister gently so some of the liquid spill onto the rim of the canister. Place in the path of ants, as close to the wall as you can get it.

WARNING!!! Do not use around pets or small children.

Also, if the canister is in a place where it gets hot regularly (like on a windowsill that gets sunny part of the day), place a small non-absorbent card (not cardboard; we use old monthly bus passes for this part) underneath the canister, as heat will cause the liquid to ooze out from time to time, and leave a sticky residue puddle.

Comment

Working...
                              X