bath tub/shower advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bath tub/shower advice

not sure how to describe this well but here goes. if you've ever been to japan, you might know that the typical bath in a home consists of a large plastic shell. by that i mean, you walk through a door into the bathing area and water is meant to fall anywhere and everywhere (cuz the whole room is for bathing vs. our typical showers where the water's contained by a shower curtain or a shower door.

basically, it's a prefabricated plastic shell. anyway, does anyone know where i can see similar models here in hawaii? i haven't seen it at home depot or at lowes (online). maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

thanks for any suggestions you might have.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: bath tub/shower advice

I did a quick Google search for "ofuro" (without quotes) and got a whole bunch of links to soaking tubs, so you might want to start there.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but it's a cool idea anyway. It's a "walk in" tub. Instead of having that ledge around the tub, it has a door in the front with a seal on it. You sit in the middle of the thing, seal up the door and then the water goes into the tub. From the photo, it looks like it's made of fiberglass.

I'm thinking this is a great idea for older people because there's no ledge to step or fall over and the built-in seat (at 17" high) is easy to get into and out of.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

note also the japanese bathrooms usually smaller than US and also you step up into them, which may affect the prefab decision. funny touching the roof too but that the way it is. I've seen those capsule type enclosures but never the whole room here. sounds like a full on custom remodel to me.

remodel show this weekend at HIC I think. check um out maybe get some leads?
        this space for rent

Comment

tanks for all da good advice

yup, i appreciate it. don't know if and when it'll happen but my wife and i were wondering about changing our current bath area. we live in a condo so it may be more complicated than if we were living in a house.

i lived in japan for about 10 years and loved the japanese style bath. as you guys probably know, there's the bathing area where you can splash away to your heart's content and then you rinse off and then soak in a hot tub of water. a mini onsen at home.

man, that's a cool way to unwind and relax one's muscles. (i recently hurt my back so that would another plus.)

don't know. maybe it would cost too much to duplicate something like that here....

but thanks for the info! i'll follow through.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Speaking of "bath tub/shower advice".....

Can someone please help me with a good advice on a good 'ol american shower/tub here, please.

# 1: my tub- has rings & stained markings on it,
            (not to many) but I still would like to get rid of it.

I tried Ajax, bleach, clorox, even this one dollar cheap stain remover
            & wont even come off at all.

Any advice on how to get rid of it, & turn my tub back to white again?

I have no idea how it got there. It semed like it just got smudged in
            & I can't seem to take it out.

# 2: I need to clean up my shower head & also try to take it off (but I can't), I am thinking of replacing it with a good one one someday if I can ever take th darn thing off!.
            It seems like it is rusted in & wont turn.
            Any liquid I can use to soften it up,
            so I wont have a hard time twisting its neck?

Will Lime Away work for the shower head to get rid of that grime?
            or any better advice for it?.

Can any one give some advice on my one & two problems?

Thank you & Aloha.

P.S. I know this post/thread is not on advice for stain remover,
            but, I really need the advice. Thanks so much.

Hope to hear from you soon.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

For the tub ring, try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I know you're skeptical, but I've seen this thing get stains out that I thought were impossible. It's under two bucks at Longs or Wal-Mart.

For the showerhead, what kind of a tools are you using to remove it? It might be a matter of some leverage. Spray some WD-40 on the area around the threads, wait ten minutes or so, and then try vise-grips to turn the showerhead.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My sister-in-law came for a visit and painted our tub. It looks good. It's kinda got a pebbly finish but is a great improvement from what it was.
                repaint bathtub

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  For the tub ring, try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I know you're skeptical, but I've seen this thing get stains out that I thought were impossible. It's under two bucks at Longs or Wal-Mart.

For the showerhead, what kind of a tools are you using to remove it? It might be a matter of some leverage. Spray some WD-40 on the area around the threads, wait ten minutes or so, and then try vise-grips to turn the showerhead.
                  I am sorry I haven't come back here for a reply, been busy. Hope you had a good 4th.

Thanks sooo much for replying back & those 2 info/advice that you gave me. I will try soon. Right now, for Thursday morning, there would be a guy who will be fixing our door. Now that is a whole nother topic in itself which I wont get into it right now. Too long to explain. Perhaps I'll get around to it when I can.

Thanks again.

Take care & God Bless.

Aloha.
                  Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
                    My sister-in-law came for a visit and painted our tub. It looks good. It's kinda got a pebbly finish but is a great improvement from what it was.
                    repaint bathtub
                    WOW!.Thanks for that info & link. I will definately save the link, & look into later.

Thanks again.

Aloha & take care.

God bless.
                    Aches & Pains

Comment

what? ya want some...
                      "bath tub/shower advice"

ok;
                      IF... you drop yer bar of soap in San Fran, kick it all the way to Oakland before you bend over to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        what? ya want some...
                        "bath tub/shower advice"

ok;
                        IF... you drop yer bar of soap in San Fran, kick it all the way to Oakland before you bend over to pick it up.
                        That's pretty funny. LOL.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

To scrivener....

To make a long story short....

The guy finished our door yesterday. Technically he was here to fix our shower handle, he fixed it. Since he was here any way, mghtaswell fix our door in the process. It took him 4 days to less than a week(just coming back & forth) to fix our shower handle,door, paint the door, change locks, & the door chime.
                          busy guy.

What's worse, is that he had a strong vietnamese accent, & he mumbles half the time, that I could never understood all of what he said. . Oh well.

Atleast he fixed our shower handle & the door, that's all the mattered, I guess. .
                          Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            We'll all have to remember this joke the next time Kimo takes great offense to some perceived slight when someone else touches on some stereotype about Hawaii.

Back on topic...

Glad you found someone to help, Serenity. Did he get the showerhead off, too? Those can be a pain. I was pretty sure ours were rusted solid (and of course the pipe goes deep into the wall), but after a lot of wrestling with a big wrench it came off eventually...

As for cleaning, my wife is a firm believer of those sprays you apply to your tub after every shower... to keep them clean after a back-breaking scrubbing. That doesn't help at the dirty-tub stage, but maybe it helps it to not get that bad again.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              We'll all have to remember this joke the next time Kimo takes great offense to some perceived slight when someone else touches on some stereotype about Hawaii.

Back on topic...

pzarq; you shackin up with palolo joe now? hmmmm?
                              I nevah! stereotype hawaii..etc...
                              Last edited by kimo55; July 16, 2005, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X