Appealing to the UN for sovereignty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appealing to the UN for sovereignty?

I don't know if this will hurt or help, but there is now a suggestion that the kanaka maoli (if they can ever agree to unite and become one body instead of the different factions that exist today) plead their case for sovereignty before the United Nations. Another caveat is that the UN would never consider any appeal without support from the US government. But if the kanaka maoli put their case before the UN, it might give them some international exposure to their plight which has not been done in the past.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Appealing to the UN for sovereignty?

Kekuni Blaisdell, evidentally based on what I can construe from the following segment ( Na Pakaukau ) of the web-page I've linked to, has been very active in making the case of Hawai'ian indepedence to the world, and has been to the UN in Geneva on numerous occasions to plead the case of sovereignity for the kanaka maoli.

I can't say that the issue of Hawai'ian independence is even on the radar screen of your average mainlander, but it appears that the Hawai'ian voices yearning for self-determination and freedom is being heard more and more, and in due time, all Americans will be made aware of the rights the kanaka maoli are seeking.

Look for the Na Pakaukau section
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; June 13, 2005, 07:23 AM. Reason: Redundancy

Comment

Working...
    X