X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Tint: Safety v. Privacy?

Dark car windows net 9,000 citations
    By Mary Vorsino, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Monday, June 13, 2005
    A tint darker than the law allows makes driving at night more difficult, which could endanger pedestrians and other drivers. Also, "this is one of the violations that directly has a play on officer safety," [HPD Maj. Doug] Miller said, because dark tint makes seeing into a vehicle difficult and could allow a potentially harmful suspect to hide a weapon from an approaching officer... Opponents of the law say the tinting limits are too strict, especially for cars. "It's like saying nobody can have curtains on their home," said Jeff Rezents, owner of Military Tinting International on Wilikina Drive. "In their (lawmakers') attempt to save everybody from themselves, they make everybody a criminal. ... I really think they've completely overstepped their bounds."

Re: Dark Tint: Safety v. Privacy?

"It's like saying nobody can have curtains on their home,"
    But a house is bigger than a car, and sometimes a Police Officer doesn't barge into a house through a window.

They're just lucky that they allow tinted windows on cars. If they don't like the law, then move. A car is a privilage to have, and if people abuse those privilages, then they should get fined/jailed/car taken away.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I agree that the safety of police officers is a high priority and I do think that illegal window tint is kind of a big deal, but I would prefer that police take care of genuine, credible hazards to public safety before getting involved in something like this. Street racing is a far bigger problem than this. I can hear people racing on the H2 in the wee hours from my house every single day. They should start prosecuting and jailing street racers and confiscating their cars. A cel phone law can't hurt, either. When we get a handle on people doing stupid crap on the street, we can start doing stuff like ticketing people with illegal tint.

Comment

As a bicyclist, tinted windows are bad news for me. If a vehicle's tinting is too dark, I can't see the driver. I don't know if he sees me, or if he's looking the other way. I can't tell what he's going to do. Does he know I'm there? Or is he going to unexpectedly make a turn right into my path because he's not looking, and I don't know he's not looking? It makes me very nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
          I agree that the safety of police officers is a high priority and I do think that illegal window tint is kind of a big deal, but I would prefer that police take care of genuine, credible hazards to public safety before getting involved in something like this. Street racing is a far bigger problem than this. I can hear people racing on the H2 in the wee hours from my house every single day. They should start prosecuting and jailing street racers and confiscating their cars. A cel phone law can't hurt, either. When we get a handle on people doing stupid crap on the street, we can start doing stuff like ticketing people with illegal tint.
          Same thing on the ricing near my neighborhood. A "major" ricer just moved out of our neighborhood a few days ago, and he just had ricer cars to fill a team. All I hear in the night, is loud rap music and tires squeeling back and forth for hours.

And on that cell phone issue, how many cell phone retailers has (or give out, or even tell their customers) about headsets while driving? I just ordered a "free" headset from freeheadset.org where they're promoting driver safety by offering free (you pay the shipping, which was about $4 to here) headsets for current cell phones. If people will be taught to drive safely, then they need to make headsets a mandatory item when receiving a cell phone, or heck, just don't use the phone while driving (but then, they should not allow them to talk to passengers also).
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

One thing about a house having dark tint and a car having the same tint is that you dont have to back a house into a parking stall. It's pretty much stationary unless you live in L.A. where mother nature is seemingly taking back her landscape from homeowners (mudslides, earthquakes).

Dark tint may seem nice however I'd like to be able to see the eyes of the driver pulling out of an intersection while I have the right of way. Sorry if you can't handle privacy while driving a car then put some clothes on before buckling up. If you got something to hide, put it under your bedsheets not in the passenger compartment of a moving vehicle.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X