Michael Jackson found not guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jackson found not guilty

And your opinions on the verdict are... ?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Michael Jackson found not guilty

Relieved. Almost makes up for the travesty of justice that was the O.J. Simpson verdict.

Comment

Good.

All they wanted was money, and they better not reappeal.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

{Yawn} Now Michael, poor and penniless after all the out of court settlements and the hefty attorney bills from this Hollywood team, can go in some corner and finally have that mental breakdown he's been on the verge of having for the last 3 years.

All people in the public spotlight know that there are always going to be opportunists who try to capitalize on their fame. So Michael won't be the last one subjected to this kind of scrutiny because, um, the people in the US like this kind of media hype.

He's so poor, he can't even sell Neverland; the place has got a lien on it that's steeper than the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; June 13, 2005, 02:09 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

money troubles?

/announcer_voice_on
          Tyson... vs. Jackson, Live on Pay Per View...
          /voice_off

this space for rent

Comment

...pleasantly shocked at the verdicts--I expected at least some conviction, simply because it seems high-profile cases are always disastrous.

...ashamed there are people in our country who will stoop so low to make a buck.

...sympathetic. I think Jackson is probably in a psychological world of hurt--all the ideals shattered with a sledgehammer. I hate to see the death of optimism.

...ready to move on. I'm watching Aruba in disbelief.
            ~'Ailina

Comment

He's now free to help O.J. find the "real" killer.

Must make Phil Spector happy.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                I believe this was a criminal trial, meaning the People of California vs. Michael Jackson. I am not sure exactly how money would come into play here, unless those witnesses for the state brought a civil suit after Jackson's conviction.

Also, something to be aware of with our justice system, Adrian, is that once a court hands down a "not guilty" verdict, that's it. It's over. The state cannot bring a new trial and the same charges, else Michael Jackson would be placed in "double jeopardy," which is unconstitutional in this country. The appeals process exists to help people who have been wrongfully found guilty, not people who might have been wrongfully declared not guilty, and it's an important process. Once guilty, you can't just "appeal" the decision. You have to have grounds for the appeal--usually it's something procedural, such as evidence that was not handled appropriately, or a jury not being informed of critical information, or a judge not allowing testimony that should have been permitted.

In this case, the jury determined that the State of California did not bring forth enough evidence to declare Jackson guilty beyond reasonable doubt. It doesn't get a second chance to try again.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

and the world as usual shakes its collective head in disbelief.
                  the world is not shocked by what happens in america anymore.
                  be a mass murderer and hire expensive attorneys and go play golf in florida.
                  molest an elementary schoolboy and get a big wedding to him after she gets out.
                  spend decades molesting little boys and walk outside to hundreds of screaming fans.
                  the world is ashamed for a shameless america and can't watch it anymore.
                  it will all be irrelevant and forgotten in a few years as america will not exist anymore.
                  free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Comment

Of course, that's not to say that MJ can't be hauled into court AGAIN at some future date by another claimant who wasn't part of the last trial. Eventually, the truth will see the light of day.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Consider the people who permit their children to spend sleepovers with Michael Jackson at Neverland. What are their motives? Who is the victim? How can charges ever stick to MJ if the only people who put their kids at risk are slime themselves? I hope he had the shit scared out of him. Personally, I think pedophiles around the world are toasting the man child. Children are so much more at risk now. We really need to protect kids.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                        Good.

i missed something;
                        did they already appeal?!

Comment

humm .... reappeal ...perhaps there needs to be some education on the difference between a civil case and a criminal case .....

Comment

The other thing that amazes me about this and other recent celebrity trials is that all the major cable networks spend hours and hours of airtime on these trials, and yet in 2 far off countries in the Middle East, we have soldiers who are putting their lives on the line; more than 1,700 of them have died already in Iraq. The cable networks give their cursory 3 minutes to the war and they spend hours covering those celebrity trials.

What's wrong with this country, anyway?!!! Where are peoples' priorities? BTW: this is just a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.

Miulang

Comment

In other related 'Jackson news:

Will (a) Hawaii museum show Jackson's footprints?
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X