HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

I know a few of you are jonesing for the return of the HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest (while a couple of you are still waiting on your prizes--I know, I know!), but that won't be ready until September.

To tide you over, here's a just-for-fun contest. Every day beginning the evening of the fifteenth and ending on Independence day, I'll put up one picture each of a familiar logo, a local building, and a publicly displayed work of art. Each photo is worth one point for everyone who correctly identifies in PRIVATE MAIL the logo, artwork, or building.

What I'm looking for is not super-detailed info. Your objective is to make me KNOW that you know where/what the object is. For example, if you know WHERE a particular work of art is displayed, that's a good enough answer--you don't also have to give me the title and artist, although that kind of information is always welcome.

I realize that people who live away from Hawaii are at a distinct disadvantage, but that's actually true about everything, not just silly online contests, so they're probably used to that.

One twist I'm putting on this contest: If nobody correctly identifies an object, I'll repost it with the next day's new questions and give everyone another shot.

Okay. Here's a practice set. Please don't send me private mail for this set--it's just to give you a taste of what's going on.

ART:

BUILDING:

LOGO:

Oops. Sorry about that last image. I'm too lazy to fix it.

These examples are a bit easier than the ones I've got lined up, but you get the idea.

We're going to the Fourth of July, whether anyone plays or not, so you might as well play! It's just for fun, so jump in.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Are the images hosted on your server or here at HawaiiThreads? I think there is a limit on images hosted here.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Scrivener...

Is that Eddie Ikau surfer dude that stands in Waikiki beach?.

BTW- One of my hubby's friend(s) is related to that guy.
      That guy is his grand or great uncle, or something like that, any way.

Well, you have a good day & week.

Aloha.
      Last edited by Serenity; June 15, 2005, 09:47 AM.
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

These images appear to be coming from his webserver (check the properties on the images). There is an overall limit to the file sizes consumed by images uploaded to the forum, but hosted elsewhere, not so much. I think there is a limit to the number of images that can be included in a single post, though.

Sounds like fun, Scrivener, and do let us know if you'll accept photographic contributions from others (with the understanding, of course, that we won't be able to claim points for images we sent in!). This is a game I've been wanting to try, ever since I suggested it in an earlier "scavenger hunt" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          ...do let us know if you'll accept photographic contributions from others...
          Of course I will. Keep in mind, though, that I've been working on this thing for a couple of months and that most of the contest's images are already scheduled, uploaded, and named. If the interest is there, and if there are enough contributions from others (you!), we could always extend the game. In fact, I'd love it if there were more photos.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ready for Day 1? Good!

If you want to participate, send your responses via PRIVATE MAIL (click the "private messages" link in the upper-right corner of your screen, under the welcome message) before 9:00 p.m. on June 16. I'll post answers and running scores every day.

Answers are up for debate--if you disagree with my version of the correct answer, we'll open it up for discussion and then I'll rule in the fairest way I can. Remember, it's just for fun!

I have run little games like this on bulletin boards, on mailing lists, and on Saimin (r.i.p.), and every time I've done it, someone messes things up and posts his or her answers in PUBLIC. Please, don't do this! Send me your answers in private mail.

So, two quick rules about that: first, if you p/mail me your responses and then change your mind before 9:00 in the evening, I'll accept your most recent submission. Second, if someone posts responses in public, the rules still apply--everyone who submits correct answers in p/mail, even after the public post, will get credit.

Okay. Let the games begin. First items appear in the next reply. Remember, answer as clearly and specifically as possible!

Comment

HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Day 1. Answers due by 9:00 June 16 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo (not photographed by me--my logo files aren't finished being edited):

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

No ability to add input for the game and where the stuff is other than on the beautiful islands which is where you are which i why i am so jealous i could spit, lol.
                If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 1.

Congratulations to jdub for getting it right!

Art:
                  Congratulations to kimo55 for getting it right. His answer was so insightful, I'm posting it in its entiretly:
                  Originally posted by kimo55
                  The makai plaque on the King Kamehameha statue base. Titled "Display of Courage."

"As a young boy, Kamehameha received training in the various Hawaiian martial arts while residing in Ka'u with his uncle Kalani'opu'u. Here the warrior-chief displays his courage and his special gift at deflecting and seizing spears hurled all at once."
                  That's on King Street across Iolani Palace, by the way.

Also by the way, it was while I took this picture that I figured out that you can make it look like you're photographing one thing when you're really photographing something else. This sweetie was on the opposite side of the statue, looking in my direction, so I zoomed right past the statue and captured her for posterity.

Building:
                  You're looking at the sanctuary building of Kawai`hao Church from Queen Street. The church itself is at the intersection of King and Punchbowl. The bell tolls for jdub, kimo55, mel, and 1stwahine, and Helen who got it right. Extra communion wine for kimo55 who amazingly knew that the Kamehameha and Kawaihao photos were taken about half an hour apart, in the area of three o'clock, before he noticed that the clock on the tower says 3:10.

Current Standings:
                  2: kimo55, jdub
                  1: mel, 1stwahine, helen

Keep the guesses coming. New photos, next post!

-----

PS: Some people p/mailed me asking for the answers to the sample photos, so here they are. The logo is Foodland, a wonderfully simple, creative image created by the father of one of my former students. The building is the Prince Kuhio Federal Building at Punchbowl and Nimitz. The art is the statue of Duke Kahanamoku in down at...is it Queen's Surf?
                  Last edited by scrivener; June 17, 2005, 01:00 AM.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 2. Answers due by 9:00 June 17 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 2!

Eeeee-Eeeee-Eee-Eee-Eeee-Eeee (say it like a dolphin) to mel, 1stwahine, and helen for taking the bait on that one.

Art:
                      mel and Surfingfarmboy correctly identified this as the 9/11 memorial on the front lawn of Honolulu Hale at the corner of Punchbowl and King. Surfingfarmboy says he thinks it's one of the first permanent 9/11 memorials in the country, if not the first. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Building:

Nobody got this one, so I'm posting it again and adding a clue. Your clue is "Go West, Young Man!"

Here are the current standings!
                      3: mel
                      2: kimo55, jdub, 1stwahine, helen
                      1: Surfingfarmboy

New photos, next post!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 3! Answers due by 9:00 June 18 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo (the dark shadows are a reflection in the window):

Art:

Building:

Plus, don't forget that yesterday's building is still live, for those who want a second chance.

Good luck, and have fun!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 3 Answers!

Logo (the dark shadows are a reflection in the window):

aaaaaaaand nobody got this one! woo! So I'm posting it again with a clue, for those of you who'd like a second shot: "If You Can't Take the Heat..."

Art:

Yes, it's the Waikiki Business Plaza. Or, as kimo55 poetically put it:
                          Waikiki Business Plaza makai/ewa corner diagonal concave fountain tile sculpture art. From many floors above, we see slowly cascading waters gently flowing vertically down to street level, while running sensuously across the contours of the multitudinous tiles and writhing koi, seemingly activating them in a fluidicly animated sculture. Having grown up to a large degree in Waikiki, and still passing this uplifting aquatic edifice about thrice weekly, helps it remain firmly planted in the gray membrane.

It also helps that my Dad worked in that building in the early 70's.
                          Whew. Cascading? Contours? Writhing? Are we talking about a scupture, or, well, never mind. I think I need to go stand beneath it for a few minutes. Puka-shell necklaces and a bunch of time-share flyers go to kimo55 and cezanne, who recognized and identified something I'm sure we have all seen a million times!

Building:
                          It's the Pink Palace, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, as seen from a few blocks away and across Kalakaua Avenue. She is the Grande Dame of Waikiki, wouldn't you say? kimo55 adds:
                          One of my favorites. Even as a kama'aina, I still love going to this hotel, which opened Feb 1, 1927, and have a maitai or three at it bar.
                          As an affecionado of architecture, (anything pre 1980's), I will always appreciate its detail, elegance, layout, its intricate architectural nuances and general beauty which was designed in the Spanish-Moorish style that was popular during the 1920's. This motif can be seen to have been easily influenced by silent picture star Rudolph Valentino. Mission revival touches, albeit with extra flourishes seldom seen, were supplied by cupolas that were created to resemble bell towers. The tallest is evident in Scrivener's pic.
                          I'd walked past it a million times before I finally wandered around inside a couple of years ago, and it truly is a magnificent building. Such attention to detail tells you that its attendants understand what a special place it is. I think I saw my reflection in one of the wooden handrails.

Also, the annual Bankoh Ki Hoalu festival was on the lawn there one year, and it was the nicest of the venues I've seen this awesome (free) concert at. They really should have it there every year.

MaiTais go to kimo55, Linkmeister, and Surfingfarmboy for correctly identifying the Pink Palace.

Okay. Nobody got the building photo from two days ago, so I'm giving it one more day (I arbitrarily decided that three days would be the lifespan of these) with a new clue: Jason Elam is quite familiar with it; Ashley Lelie will probably become so; Timmy Chang's a longshot.

Also, Surfingfarmboy contributed this link, which gives some details about the Honolulu Hale 9/11 memorial and links to Pzarquon's online journal.

Here are the current standings!
                          4: kimo55
                          3: mel
                          2: jdub, 1stwahine, helen, Surfingfarmboy
                          1: cezanne, linkmeister

New photos, next post!
                          Last edited by scrivener; June 18, 2005, 10:50 PM.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 4! Answers due by 9:00 June 19 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo (not photographed by me):

Art:

Building:

Plus, don't forget that the building from two days ago and the logo from yesterday are still worth points!

Good luck, and have fun!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 4 answers!

Logo (not photographed by me):

Loco mocos to helen and Glen Miyashiro for recognizing the lovely and inspiring logo of UH-Hilo, my Alma Mater. Hail, Vulcans, Hail!

Art:

Glen Miyashiro, Linkmeister, and cezanne recognized US artist Isamu Noguchi's Sky Gate in the city's municipal park, near the Kapiolani / King split. It's truly a lovely sculpture; I recommend you take some time one day to really examine it. At least take a look at some of his other work. The playground stuff is fantastic. Somewhere, there's a photo of a model of playground stuff he planned to do in Honolulu, but that work was never realized. Too bad.

Building:

Here's a look at the way you're used to seeing it, complete with typical Nimitz traffic. I figured this one would be easy; it's tough to miss the unique architecture of Ward Warehouse, one of my favorite high school hangouts (there was a gallery there called Rare Discovery that I really dug). Blizzards and comic books to helen, Glen Miyashiro (who scored the first three-point sweep of this contest!), and kimo55 for nailing it!

kimo55 says that Ward Warehouse is
                              in the location previously occupied by my favorite shop in the 60's and 70's. Cost Plus Imports, which was housed in a quanset hut there.
                              What kind of a place was that? And they couldn't think of a more creative name than "Cost Plus?" I mean, isn't everything we buy "cost plus?"

Okay. I have to continue this in the next post, because I've hit my picture limit in this post. To Be Continued . . .
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X