US businesses condone censorship abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US businesses condone censorship abroad

It certainly doesn't come as any big surprise that American corporations doing business overseas will bend over backward to march into new markets and agree to the terms that the host country puts in front of them just so they can make that allmighty profit, but it really causes one to stop and think about how this behavior is totally contrary to the White House's "declared" intention of spreading freedom and democracy in all parts of the world.

Again, we also know that the White House is only spouting rhetoric because it openly supports oppressive regimes around the world, but I also think it sad that a company like Microsoft, with all its supposed clout, simply knuckles under to the demands of the Chinese goverment and is helping to censor bloggers who use their portal. I mean, can you imagine living in a country where your thoughts are censored to the degree that words like "freedom" are blocked from your blog?

Their copout line is "...Even with the filters, we're helping millions of people communicate, share stories, share photographs and build relationships. For us, that is the key point here," he said...." Oh yeah, and just as a little extra bonus, making tons of money off an oppressed population. I'm glad I don't own any Microsoft stock right now.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: US businesses condone censorship abroad

So let me get this straight. Much as you're vehemently opposed to the U.S. forcing its views, culture, and values on the rest of the world, you also feel that a private company is to be villified for actually complying with the laws of a country within which it does business? So, in fact, for Microsoft to do right, it should say, "Screw you, China, free speech is the American way!"

FWIW, China isn't the only country with strict content controls, and Microsoft isn't the only company making tweaks to its products in those countries to satisify local regulations. Hell, companies do weird crap with their products in the U.S. to make the government happy -- ever tried to scan a dollar bill into Photoshop lately? Or watch a DVD from Japan?

The way forward here is to convince China that its censorship policies are misguided, not thinking that we -- our soldiers, or our businesses -- should try and foster revolt from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      So let me get this straight. Much as you're vehemently opposed to the U.S. forcing its views, culture, and values on the rest of the world, you also feel that a private company is to be villified for actually complying with the laws of a country within which it does business? So, in fact, for Microsoft to do right, it should say, "Screw you, China, free speech is the American way!"

FWIW, China isn't the only country with strict content controls, and Microsoft isn't the only company making tweaks to its products in those countries to satisify local regulations. Hell, companies do weird crap with their products in the U.S. to make the government happy -- ever tried to scan a dollar bill into Photoshop lately? Or watch a DVD from Japan?

The way forward here is to convince China that its censorship policies are misguided, not thinking that we -- our soldiers, or our businesses -- should try and foster revolt from the inside.
      No, what I'm really saying is large multinational corporations are in some ways governments unto themselves. They can skirt rules of particular countries because of this. Just because "others" do it, doesn't necessarily mean that an ethically-based corporation has to follow everyone else. I've been in business long enough to know that he who has the clout could influence anyone, if he wanted to. In the case of Microsoft and many other multinationals, it's about the money, not the principle. That's what I object to. If MS were an ethical company (and I know they're not...look at the problems they've had in the EU and elsewhere), they wouldn't even be doing business with China. I bet if they had any large institutional investors (like university endowment funds, or church funds), those investors would be cringing right now and thinking about selling their shares.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        If MS were an ethical company... they wouldn't even be doing business with China.
        What? So no "ethical company" should ever do business with China? So rather than engagement and compromise and hopefully the slow opening of doors and markets, the solution is to wall them off and try and pout them into compliance (a la North Korea)? Right.

I assure you, meanwhile, that "large institutional investors" probably have a great deal of love for a lot of companies dealing in China. On this great green Earth, that country is one of the biggest, juciest markets there ever will be. You wouldn't be an "investor" if making money wasn't one of your objectives (regardless of what "good" you ultimately plan to do with your winnings), and having a foot in the door in China is probably the best bet for that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          What? So no "ethical company" should ever do business with China? So rather than engagement and compromise and hopefully the slow opening of doors and markets, the solution is to wall them off and try and pout them into compliance (a la North Korea)? Right.

I assure you, meanwhile, that "large institutional investors" probably have a great deal of love for a lot of companies dealing in China. On this great green Earth, that country is one of the biggest, juciest markets there ever will be. You wouldn't be an "investor" if making money wasn't one of your objectives (regardless of what "good" you ultimately plan to do with your winnings), and having a foot in the door in China is probably the best bet for that these days.
          This is just me, personally. I would rather make less money on my investments by choosing companies that adhere to my own belief system. And believe me, Microsoft is not a company that adheres to my belief system, nor is it the case for many institutional investors who believe in social justice. See, Ryan, this culture is all about greed. Hence the problems with the environment, the economy, you name it. I have in my portfolio a mutual fund that has as its objective to only invest in companies that don't harm the environment, manufacture war materials, etc. I don't make much off it, but I feel better because my piddly little $200 monthly is probably helping a bunch of little companies that do good things that don't hurt people. THAT's what I invest my money in. As a former journalist, freedom of speech and thought is very important to me and my life (as it should be to you, since you come from that industry, too). I'm even having second thoughts about my shares of SBUX because now they make a coffee liqueur and a chocolate liqueur.

Miulang

P.S. Yes, China is a great new pasture. But there's some flawed logic going on, too. Is it not also possible that as we enter this market, we are also becoming part of that country's crusade to become the next superpower?
          Last edited by Miulang; June 15, 2005, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Well, as further proof that large, multinational corporations are not beholden to the laws of any country, here's a little story from the Baku Sun about Microsoft releasing an official Azeri version of MS Office. They're even planning to open up a local office in the capital.

If MS were not so greedy, would they be wanting to help a repressive government? Where is their corporate conscience? Don't they care that this government did nothing to stop the slaughter of hundreds of people in the country a couple of months ago who were protesting against the repressive government?

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; June 20, 2005, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X