Aloha goes to Margaritaville!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha goes to Margaritaville!

I'm kinda surprised that nobody here has mentioned anything yet about ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro being on tour right now with The Grand Parrothead himself, Jimmy Buffett. That's just WAY kewl!
    Jake's also doing some shows with Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. If you've never heard of them, you're missing some of the most amazing musicians on the planet.
    Way to go, Jake!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Aloha goes to Margaritaville!

Originally posted by LikaNui
    I'm kinda surprised that nobody here has mentioned anything yet about ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro being on tour right now with The Grand Parrothead himself, Jimmy Buffett.
    aaaah, c'mon.
    Generally, jake is considered a touristy and japanese national thingy lately. he doesn't play Hawaiian music. and Buffet is known as the audio fodder/soundtrack for guys who wear starched burmuda shorts, haraches and overly pricey fake aloha shirts such as that Timmy Banana brand, created by those Gap expats.
    That margaritaville junk all sounds like incidental music created for commercials.
    Last edited by kimo55; June 25, 2005, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Jake is good and so is Jimmy. I don't have any CD's of Jake's but do of Buffet's. A long time ago I stayed in California for awhile. Our roomates were into "alternative" music and once when I played a C&K tape, a remark was made that it sounded soo commercial. I replied "By that you mean that alot of people would like it and buy their music?" Hummm? I guess to each their own yeah.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
        I played a C&K tape, a remark was made that it sounded soo commercial.

I grew up to a large degree on C&K even tho my buddy Cuz Henry ain't too much older than me.
        and I suppose their music could be termed commercial, but that is a far cry from, and is in no way related to music that generally sounds as if it was created for a commercial.

Comment

I agree Kimo that C&K music doesn't sound like it was made for a commercial, but you see to me Buffet's music doesn't either. Mother Ocean, A pirate looks at forty, Come monday, Etc. are songs that have meaning to me. C&K's You and Me is my wife and I's song. Always looking for some more good weather. But my truly favorite of their's is Sailin'. Now myself, I'm not into Jawaiian and the like, while to someone else it's their favorite, you know?

Comment

I agree Kimo that C&K music doesn't sound like it was made for a commercial, but you see to me Buffet's music doesn't either.
            believe me I have tried to give Jimmy Buffett's stuff a chance. But fer eg; whenever I hear that female chorus join in;
            Chorus:
            Cheeseburger in paradise (Pair uh DIIIICE!)
            aaauuugh! So damn... well... cheezy!
            sounds like a cheap pop tune. just too simple.
            and it DOES sound like some theme for a small burger joint chain.

and that Southern fried accent. I'd like to throw that on the grill and forget it for a few weeks.
            I mean, what does he do; watch Dukes of Hazzard on TV while he's writing these songs?
            "Awn thuh thereyushowuld-uv-udveyunchoor"
            "Dayown thayut Spayuneeyish haaahwayuh!"
            aaarrrrrgggghhhhxxxxzzz!

and his lyrics are overly simplistic and cute, (sometimes bordering on the infantile) rhyming anything just for the sake of rhyming often. "zucchini fettuchini".
            and his blatant rip of of:

"The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful"

i mean c'mon. This ain't a song title, it's an old joke.

His "Changes in attitude" is a rip off of the old "Sonora's Death Row." listen to Leo Kottke's rendition.

How bout this:
            "I like mine with lettuce and tomato
            Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
            Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
            Well good God almighty which way do I steer for my..."

I could NEVER, no matter how drunk i got, imagine myself singing that pap.
            that's not poetic or evocative or inspiring.
            That is a construction worker's highest level of conversation; reciting his shopping list and urges of the moment.

A web site that tries to understand the attraction of Buffet and his cult generously describes: "Jimmy Buffet's music can be best described as adult nursery rhymes celebrating drunkenness, laziness and promiscuity"
            "It can aptly be categorized as yuppie muzak. The ubiquitous xylophone and maracas create a nauseating faux island music experience"
            "This clown and his band are nothing more than a wedding/bar band that got lucky and found a nitch of idiots with more money that taste. The fans often refer to themselves as Parrot Heads who adorn themselves in silly straw hats, fake Hawaiian shirts, tight Khaki shorts, sandals and those sun glasses with the strings attached."

I listened to pirate at forty just now.
            sounds formulaic. that b/g voices; done a thousand times before. Sounds like a template for a pop song.

and his appropriation of carribean, marimba and mexican musical elements and motifs to flavor his songs that damned near sound all the same, makes ya realize; OK, he originally composed ditties for Disney and had the flash: "Hey! I could create a cult following darn near what the grateful dead had". (or rather: "Dern neyar whaut thuh guh-rate fuwol deyad heyud".
            And he did.
            wow.
            I give him an "E" for effort. and marketing.
            But no more of my time.
            OK, he makes thousands of people happy. Especially when he's in concert and ya have these swarms of yuppies in their tommy bahama fake tropical wear all singing and swaying in unison. More power to him and his cult. More CD's for all them, too. Cuz i just don't buy it.

Oh. and his margaritaville tequila features some of the most pretentious copy ever written on a label on a bottle of any kind since adam and eve.
            Just a taste, so yer cranium doesn't implode:
            "Where is margaritaville? It's in the tropics between the port of indescision and southwest of disorder."
            jesus!
            His tourist traps; "Margaritaville" are an assault to the senses.
            read one review here:
            http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel..._Bay-BR-1.html

("hey. Why doesn't anyone wanna leave Margaritaville? Cuz ya haveta go through Hangovertown to do it.")

His forgettable, snore inducing sllloooowww throwaway songs shanghai your brain and force it to board the boredom boat and float to somnambulistic oblivion. The only recourse is to run screaming to any other brand of tequila but his, to wash away the K-mart level musical experience.

Other than that, I like him.

Last edited by kimo55; June 25, 2005, 11:41 PM.

Comment

That was all pretty funny and insightful too. Guess I'm just too dahrn easy to please. I fit in there somewhere. Got my deck shoes, board shorts and a Captain Bob's tank top. I used to be 1st mate aboard that tourist boat long ago. "For a three hour cruise". Thanks for the psych report. Think I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                Generally, jake is considered a touristy and japanese national thingy lately. he doesn't play Hawaiian music.
                coffee ---> nose ---> keyboard
                Say WHAT?!? Considered by whom? Jake plays lots of Hawaiian (and plays with lots of Hawaiian musicians), he just won yet another Hoku award recently, his performances in Hawaii are always sold out, and his new CD is selling great here.
                Just because you don't like him sure as hell doesn't mean the whole state hates him.

Comment

"Say WHAT?!? Considered by whom? "

I hear this here and there, now and then.

"Jake plays lots of Hawaiian (and plays with lots of Hawaiian musicians), "

yep. heard that. I see him occasionally at Chai's aloha tower.
                  But he plays modern jazz renditions.
                  Not "real hawaiian music"
                  at least that's the buzz from the purists...

"he just won yet another Hoku award recently, his performances in Hawaii are always sold out, and his new CD is selling great here."

ok. dass fine. I never refuted his popularity or sales figures.

"Just because you don't like him sure as hell doesn't mean the whole state hates him."

I don't dislike him and I never mentioned "hate".
                  'least I don't remember it.
                  Last edited by kimo55; June 26, 2005, 01:50 PM.

Comment

That was all pretty funny and insightful too.
                    Well, the only insight I got from Kimo's exceptionally lengthy diatribe against Jimmy Buffett is that it seems that Kimo can't just dislike something without feeling a bizarre need to go over the top and try to destroy it.
                    For decades now Jimmy has consistently been in the top 10 tour money earners in the world, and his audiences constantly span three generations... all without having had a "hit" single since "Margaritaville" (except for that country duet last year).
                    Kimo hates Jimmy's lyrics for not being pondersouly heavy and meaningful, but with all the problems on the planet these days there's not a damned thing wrong with people wanting to forget their problems for an hour or two and simply have fun. Jimmy's record-setting success proves that.
                    Kimo blasted Jimmy's southern accent, although I don't know what he expected to hear from a guy born and raised in Alabama.
                    Kimo also repeatedly commented about "fake Hawaiian shirts"... whatever the heck that means. What would a real Hawaiian shirt be? A red-dirt shirt?
                    So I'll agree that Kimo's spiel was "funny", but the only thing "insightful" was that it shows once again that Kimo is hawaiithreads.com's resident curmudgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Well, the only insight I got from Kimo's exceptionally lengthy diatribe...
                      Hey. the guy created a huge subworld and there's alot to say about it.
                      ...against Jimmy Buffett is that it seems that Kimo can't just dislike something without feeling a bizarre need to go over the top and try to destroy it.
                      ahhh. I don't think anything was damaged, at all...
                      Kimo hates Jimmy's lyrics
                      again wit' da "hate"
                      i nevah wen say i hate.

Kimo blasted Jimmy's southern accent, although I don't know what he expected to hear from a guy born and raised in Alabama.
                      I subscribe to the old saw;
                      "he who expects nuthin', ain't gonna be deceived".

it's just a funny anomaly; a country western southern guy creating a whole Tropic-Rock syndrome thing. No hate involved. Just pointing out the incredible irony and I am very entertained by the incomprehensible mass appeal of it all. And the effects on the fans of the mass appeal. And I dissect it.

Some guy puts himself out there and this whole wacky subculture pops up and someone, will, and must say: "Heeeey! Now justa doggone minute!" and pour forth. He is ripe for parody and we will oblige.

Kimo also repeatedly commented about "fake Hawaiian shirts"... whatever the heck that means. What would a real Hawaiian shirt be?
                      They are two very distinct animals.
                      covered elsewhere.

So I'll agree that Kimo's spiel was "funny", but the only thing "insightful" was that it shows once again that Kimo is hawaiithreads.com's resident curmudgeon.
                      yea. I would never claim to offer an individual "psych report" for a fan of buffet, or even any "insight" as to why or how the fan likes Jimbo, as quickly as I am happy to be tied to the epithet; "curmudgeon". That's part of what free speech is. Offering differing perspectives in a hopefully open forum. I defend the Alabamabuffet's right to develop his cult without fear of seeing it destroyed as much as I would defend my right to try to understand it and entertain myself by commenting on it and take the chance someone will misconstrue and claim I hate it and am trying to destroy it.
                      Last edited by kimo55; June 26, 2005, 02:52 PM.

Comment

All I'll say is that it is all in the wording... on whether or not an opinion is accepted as just that.

Comment

All I'll say is that it is all in the wording... on whether or not an opinion is accepted as just that.

uhh, I'd like to accept this but require more clarity:
                          can you reword your opinion?

Comment

'kay den. No stay talk stink den no stink talk stay.

Comment

'kay den. No stay talk stink den no stink talk stay.
                              hmmm... thats pretty good. I think I may take yer adv...
                              naaah! cain't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X