Free WiFi at Ala Moana food court?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free WiFi at Ala Moana food court?

Anyone here have problems connecting out to the interweb using the free WiFi at Ala Moana? A month or so ago, I was able to connect out fine, but in the past few weeks, I've been able to get an actual (and fairly strong) WiFi connection and DHCP lease, but have not been able to actually connect out to the internet to do anything.

I thought it may have been a DNS issue, but I can't even connect to sites using i.p. addresses. Strange that I can connect to the router, though (192.168.1.1 IIRC...asks for a password, obviously), so I obviously have a connection.

I'm on a 12" Powerbook G4 (Airport Extreme), running 10.4.1 Tiger.

Re: Free WiFi at Ala Moana food court?

don't tell anyone, but Kinkos' internet is unsecured

People with laptops access their systems from the student lounge at our school many times, even when some of them tell the manager.

I wish I had a laptop to help you, but I don't.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I had the same problem at Ala Moana food court about a month and a half ago with my iBook G3. Strong airport signal but could not access any website.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
        Anyone here have problems connecting out to the interweb using the free WiFi at Ala Moana? A month or so ago, I was able to connect out fine, but in the past few weeks, I've been able to get an actual (and fairly strong) WiFi connection and DHCP lease, but have not been able to actually connect out to the internet to do anything.

I thought it may have been a DNS issue, but I can't even connect to sites using i.p. addresses. Strange that I can connect to the router, though (192.168.1.1 IIRC...asks for a password, obviously), so I obviously have a connection.

I'm on a 12" Powerbook G4 (Airport Extreme), running 10.4.1 Tiger.
        Maybe there were too many people trying to use the wi-fi connections? From what I understand about DHCP, you don't have a hardwire connection to any IP address; you take your chances and let the DHCP router find an available way for you to get out. If you can connect to the router, then I think it's the availability of DHCP ports that might be the issue. Also, are you using bookmarked hyperlinks? When my company switched to DHCP recently, most people had to wipe out their old links and put in new ones because the IP addresses associated with their old links wouldn't connect either.

I don't know where within Ala Moana you can access the wi-fi, but since it's such a public space (as opposed to going into someplace like SBUX, which is also insecure), I'd be a little leery of people pulling your signals out of the air with sniffers.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          I had the same problem at Ala Moana food court about a month and a half ago with my iBook G3. Strong airport signal but could not access any website.

Well Mel, the only thing you and Melodrama have in common (other than the letters MEL in both names) is that you're both using Apples. Try a real computer and see if it works!

OKAY I'M SORRY SHEESH THESE MAC USERS GET SO UPTIGHT NO NEW TAXES!!!!! IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!!! HOOYA!!!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Well Mel, the only thing you and Melodrama have in common (other than the letters MEL in both names) is that you're both using Apples. Try a real computer and see if it works!

OKAY I'M SORRY SHEESH THESE MAC USERS GET SO UPTIGHT NO NEW TAXES!!!!! IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!!! HOOYA!!!
            I'm a computer user, not a "Mac user."

I own and use both Windows and Macs, and I like/hate them equally. They're just tools to get things done. My Mac does many things much better than my Windows machines, and vice versa. The only "real computer" is the one that accomplishes what you want it to do, when you want it.

Seems like the ones who are the most "uptight" are the ones who, for some strange reason, feel a need to make fun of other people's platform choices.

Comment

I own only Macs, have several of them of varying vintage. Only my iBook does WiFi, so that is what I use for that purpose. I also use Windows machines but only at work and only because I have to. Generally these things are not as elegant as Macs and certainly are virus and malware magnets. It is a good thing we have highly paid IT people to keep that crap out of the office PCs. I would never want to deal with that junk at home. If I had a PC I'd change the OS to something other than Windoze. PCs are not bad, it is Windoze that is.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
              X