carp at ala moana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carp at ala moana

just in case you're wondering, i asked one of the workers where the carp are (2nd floor, by william sanoma, etc) and he said that they removed the carp cuz some idiot poisoned the fish! man, i think we should follow singapore's lead and start some floggings!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: carp at ala moana

What, so no more fish?

Might as well put a lifeguard there and turn it into a pool.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

No more fish? Poisoned???

See? All it takes is one jerk to spoil it for everybody.
      ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
        No more fish? Poisoned???

See? All it takes is one jerk to spoil it for everybody.
        Exactly.

I'll check there if its really true (but if it is, then why were tourists looking into the pond this past weekend? )
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          Exactly.

I'll check there if its really true (but if it is, then why were tourists looking into the pond this past weekend? )
          because they are tourists.
          Last edited by kimo55; June 21, 2005, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Yep if you put a sign that says: Historic Lava Rock next to a rock in Waikiki, guarantee some tourist will pose next to it for their scrapbook.

Too bad for the fish, I tell you it's the Dr. Spock/spoil the kid mentalility at work again. We've taught a generation not to expect consequenses so they just blindly do wrong and never figure out that the stupider of the species have a tendency to die off quickly. If I ever saw some jerk try to poison the water I'd make him drink the stuff he just poisoned and watch him twitch like the fish.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Advertiser has an article on the koi deaths.

Comment

this is frikken strange:
                They say

"We want to continue the koi ponds because this place itself was a pond at one time,"

THAT is the reason to retain koi as a presence at da shopping center?!
                NOT because they are decorative? NOT because it is a tradition at amc?

More so, it was all open marshy land. By that reasoning, ya wanna knock some buildings down and make a marsh?!

reminds me of those condo or housing tract developments that plow up and completely destroy a large grove of oak trees and the development is named:
                "Oak Grove"
                or a big valley or meadow, the home of hundreds of larks, and they pave it over and call the housing tract: "Lark Meadows"
                huuuh.
                Last edited by kimo55; June 22, 2005, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Anybody remember Toyo Theater? Back then there was no problems in keeping Koi for all to enjoy their beauty. Now, with the current unexplained problem at AMC whether theres were posioned...who's next? Pagoda? Ssshhh!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    Anybody remember Toyo Theater? Back then there was no problems in keeping Koi for all to enjoy their beauty. Now, with the current unexplained problem at AMC whether theres were posioned...who's next? Pagoda?

It is doubtful;
                    The Pagoda restaurant enjoys much less of a number of the indiscriminate proletariat, who may be inclined to toss coins into the Koi's home, which it is warned is a no-no, as this can cause harm to the fish.

Comment

Heh. And koi are not endemic to the 'aina, either. How 'bout putting in some aholehole instead? Of course you'd need to replace the fresh water with brackish water...

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Heh. And koi are not endemic to the 'aina, either. How 'bout putting in some aholehole instead? Of course you'd need to replace the fresh water with brackish water...

Miulang

Eh Miulang...you forget O What? Ala Moana Center is at sea level and they call it the Coral Level (first floor parking area for employees) for good reason.

One day I had to go inspect a pretty bad sinkhole near the security booth at the Coral Level. Apparently repeated high tides under the asphalt eroded a lot of the crushed coral substrate that was the foundation for the asphalt for the parking area and an area about 10x20' fell into what was a huge underground cavern filled with sea water. It was an interesting sight to behold seeing reef fish swimming around down there like some kind Aquarium exhibit. Fortunately the sinkhole occured near an area that wasn't load bearing.

So back on topic, there's a lot of brackish water directly below AMC that can be pumped up and recirculated to create a pretty healthy saltwater environment for fish.

As for marshy environment, the entire Kakaako area was once fed by three major springs that eventually dried up as development continued throughout Makiki and Kakaako.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          One day I had to go inspect a pretty bad sinkhole near the security booth at the Coral Level. Apparently repeated high tides under the asphalt eroded a lot of the crushed coral substrate that was the foundation for the asphalt for the parking area and an area about 10x20' fell into what was a huge underground cavern filled with sea water. It was an interesting sight to behold seeing reef fish swimming around down there like some kind Aquarium exhibit. Fortunately the sinkhole occured near an area that wasn't load bearing.
                          So if there were fish in there, there must have been tunnels connecting that sinkhole with the ocean. Wow.

All of southern O'ahu is underlain by layers of old coral reef, which sometimes develops sinkholes and tunnels and caves. Geologists call this kind of rock karst, it's similar to the limestone in the southeast USA although not as thick. There are several papers on the Mō'ili'ili Karst, which is well known for its watery caves; here's one of them.

As for marshy environment, the entire Kakaako area was once fed by three major springs that eventually dried up as development continued throughout Makiki and Kakaako.
                          Really? I know that there is a spring in the Blaisdell Center area, which used to be the site of Victoria Ward's residence. Where are the other two?

All the old springs in Honolulu have lost a lot of water over the decades as the island's groundwater got tapped with more and more drinking water wells. When the first deep well was drilled in the 1800s, the hydraulic head of Honolulu's artesian aquifer was about 40 feet above sea level -- that means that an open well would have gushed that high into the air! Now the head has gone down to about 20 feet above sea level, and the Board of Water Supply is aiming to keep it from getting any lower.

Comment

hmmmm... some interesting twists and turns. interesting comments. and thanks for the link to the article from the star bulletin. missed that one.

firstwahine, toyo theater? where was that? i don't recall the fish!
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                              toyo theater? where was that? i don't recall the fish!

just D.H. of Kukui Gardens. ewa side, I think of da river. no?

Comment

Working...
                              X