Good laptop specs to start off with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good laptop specs to start off with

Instead of upgrading my 2 year old computer,I'm thinking of getting a laptop (to use it out of the house for things such as movie watching, 'Office stuff [Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc] and possibly some photoshopping [maybe]).

Is the electronic expo that will be held at the Blaisdell Center this week a good place to start? I don't want to play games on the laptop (that's where my desktop comes in), I just want to do office work. Battery life is important, so I don't know if those laptops will up to the challenge, as I'll be using it almost on a daily basis.

I'll be researching more on laptops, as I'm a complete n00b on them and I don't want to make another bad purchase.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Good laptop specs to start off with

I'm sure some of the more tech-experienced on the board can help more. But since I have been looking for a laptop myself, I am ensuring that these are at least included:

- Intel Centrino
    - DVD/CD Writer/ROM drive
    - 512 MB of RAM
    - 64MB video card (higher if you are into games or graphics)

Those are at least the minimum requirements on my list along with the general things such as usb, floppy, etc. Toshiba seems to be catching my eye lately but it will still be a few months before I pin myself down to get one. Good luck!
    There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
      I'm sure some of the more tech-experienced on the board can help more. But since I have been looking for a laptop myself, I am ensuring that these are at least included:

- Intel Centrino
      - DVD/CD Writer/ROM drive
      - 512 MB of RAM
      - 64MB video card (higher if you are into games or graphics)

Those are at least the minimum requirements on my list along with the general things such as usb, floppy, etc. Toshiba seems to be catching my eye lately but it will still be a few months before I pin myself down to get one. Good luck!
      What's the price you're expecting to pay?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It all comes down to how much you want to pay and from whom.

I ended up buying a laptop for my 18-year old who just graduated from Kamehameha Kapalama campus.

We went with dell because they offered me a $2,000 Preferred Dell Account.

I opted for an Inspirion something or other base price at $899. After going with the P4 with HT, ATI 64Mb video upgrade, 512mb ram, 40gb HD, CD-R/DVD combo drive, external floppy drive, wireless PCI card, and the accidental damage (when he drops it off his bed and breaks it) insurance, the total price tag for this bargain computer came out to $1600 including the $80 for shipping.

Yeah some bargain, but heck I told him the damage insurance is good for three years, long enough for him to get off the gravy train and become self sufficient to the point where he can buy a better one. But for now this P4/HT should suffice for his schooling and moderate gaming.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X