Solving the traffic problem(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving the traffic problem(s)

With the H1 widening project continuing and the extension of the zipper lane into Nimitz Hwy, what else can we do to help stop the traffic problems?

Currently, it takes me an hour via the Route A Express bus from the Waipahu Transit Center to Ala Moana Shopping center, and that's on a good day.

Would a rail transit be the solution? What about a ferry service? An underground tunnel? Teleportation? (I was kidding on the last option)

C'mon people. We need a solution(s)!!

(And being the only person driving is the only reason why I don't drive. If I take up unneeded space on the roads, then I'll be contributing to the traffic. I rather sit next to someone with BO on the bus with the AC off, then spend 2+ hours on the roads paying for gas and other car maintanance fees)
    Last edited by adrian; June 21, 2005, 05:15 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Solving the traffic problem(s)

"stop the traffic problem"
    "solutions"

all, nothing but bandaids, and very temporary at that.

You don't solve traffic problems, you can not. Because it will always continue to grow.
    Unless and until we curtail the CAUSE of traffic.

And all the "oh, yer one o' those 'not in my backyard' people!"
    " oh, we can't do anything about slowing rampant development"
    myopic lazy thinking will do nothing to help.

Comment

I lived on Catalina Island (off of L.A.) for awhile in the 80's. A solution that works there, though a much smaller community, is having a "Moratorium" on the cars allowed on the island. In otherwords you are not allowed to bring another car on unless one leaves. Of course this means that there is a waiting list. I know that alot of people wouldn't vote for this option, especially the many, many car dealerships we have here.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I live in Mililani and work at the Bishop Museum and I leave my home at six thirty to beat traffic and arrive at the Museum around sevenish and start work at 08:00. When I get off at 16:00 or 4pm. I sit and wait for about an hour a day coming home. And yes I think that traffic is a *$&#$! But I cannot stop that because of the growing population that keeps on growing and the need for more cars to ensure their dire needs of transportation. I think that a new railroad thing would be cool but than again we might run in the same problem later. I have a new truck and thank god it's a 4 cylinder and not a gas guzzler. Yet the gas prises just keeping on soaring higher makes me cringe. Ten dollars last me about two maybe three day's, and I fear soon it will only last one day, which hopefuly will be the day I pay my truck off and sell it. What would happen if we went back to horses? Forget that idea....
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I'm a bicycle rider. Safer streets would help. Like decent ,continuous bike lanes. I like the idea of bike racks on the buses. Too often they're both full though. Has anyone seen larger racks elsewhere?
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Only at Kaimana Beach and boy are they big!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A solution to the traffic problem might be that all automobiles on Oahu have manual transmissions.

Comment

One thing that puzzles me in the afternoon is why on-street parking is allowed from 5:30 p.m. That's still prime time for heavy traffic. I suspect it's an archaic time left from days of yore when people left work earlier and fewer cars were on the road at that time. Who knows. Seems that changing it to 6:30 p.m. would be a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                  One thing that puzzles me in the afternoon is why on-street parking is allowed from 5:30 p.m. That's still prime time for heavy traffic. I suspect it's an archaic time left from days of yore when people left work earlier and fewer cars were on the road at that time. Who knows. Seems that changing it to 6:30 p.m. would be a big help.
                  I think you're spot on regarding reason for why it's 5:30PM onwards. I'm always surprised that there is no dept in any govt level that focuses on reviewing laws to clean up. Sometimes, laws that made sense in the 19th century are still valid and on the books.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                    You don't solve traffic problems, you can not. Because it will always continue to grow. Unless and until we curtail the CAUSE of traffic.
                    I think that was what adrian was getting at when he started this thread, kimo55. How do you curtail the cause of traffic? In an attempt to answer that question, I’ll go first:

IMHO, the first step in curtailing the cause of traffic, is providing a method of transportation that will never be affected by traffic. That solution is rail transit. (see all-exhaustive thread). There are no traffic lights, no cars to compete with, and thus no potential “roadway hazards” that will delay your commute.

There are a significant number of people who would rather get some work done on their laptop, go over agendas for the day’s meetings, and a slew of other activities instead of keeping their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road. The main obstacle preventing these individuals from utilizing public transportation, is the only viable option available right now, is TheBus, which is nothing more than another (and least nimble) vehicle affected by rush-hour traffic.

The second step in curtailing the cause of traffic is police enforcement. There is a bevy of cars, trucks and vans on the road which have expired safety checks and/or motor vehicle registration. Even more worrisome, many of these cars clearly have some kind of safety violation (broken head/tail/brake light, cracked front/rear windshield, etc.). Finally, the police stop gives HPD the chance to check for current no-fault insurance. This step, unfortunately, would require the city to actually employ the number of police officers experts recommend (excuses include: recruitment problems, budget woes, etc.)

The third step (again subject to the excuses in step two) would be to increase the size of the state sheriff’s department. This is because of the numerous amount of outstanding warrants for people who fail to show up for their traffic court hearing.

Assuming you could accomplish those first three steps, step four would be for the legislature to increase the penalty for the motorist infractions contained in step two to: forfeit of your vehicle to the city for purpose of auction with 60% of the proceeds returning to the lawbreaker, 20% to city coffers, and 20% going to all “no sale to convicted citation holder” participating car dealers. This would be a huge boost for the economy, because it would put more cash into the hands of consumers, albeit ones who no longer have a car. It would also supplement rail transit and provide more funding for HPD.

Taken as a whole, this four-step process would drastically decrease the amount of vehicles on the road, and solve the traffic problem (at least in this lifetime). Your argument that traffic would keep increasing is pie-in-the-sky scenario, because this is an island with finite resources. There are only so many people who can live here (and thus drive a car), before our infrastructure is maxed out. Not to mention that the economy is in the worst state its been in since the Great Depression, making it much less likely people would consider moving to an expensive vacation destination like Hawai‘i. And even if the economy did eventually improve, the amount of money the U.S. Treasury will need to print to fund the trillion$ in bailouts and stimulus plans that will ultimately pass Congress will cause inflation to skyrocket, which will accelerate the decrease in Hawai‘i’s population.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

How bout shuttles that accomodate bicycles & mopeds in every major neighborhood to Downtown, like say Hawaii Kai, Nuuanu, Moanalua, Salt Lake, Kalihi (to name a few). The shuttle would pick up passengers from 1 location in a neighborhood and make only 2-3 stops along it's final destination Down Town via dedicated zip lanes. It could also serve coffee, newspapers and magazines, plug-in radio jack(like airplanes), etc. The Bus is not convenient enough and doesn't offer this much appeal. This service would only run during rush hours. The catch is that it would offer similar comfort of car riding, but less costly for the rider. You also won't have the problem of a smelly homeless person hopping on board. That was a major turn off for everyone when I rode the bus to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        There are a significant number of people who would rather get some work done on their laptop, go over agendas for the day’s meetings, and a slew of other activities instead of keeping their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road.
                        I think the same could be said of a higher-class bus service. Granted, it may not be as fast as a rail since it's affected by traffic, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper. I think the key to getting people out of their cars is to offer productivity and comfort.

A pay-for subscription bus service would be something I'd like to see tried.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        The second step in curtailing the cause of traffic is police enforcement. There is a bevy of cars, trucks and vans on the road which have expired safety checks and/or motor vehicle registration. Even more worrisome, many of these cars clearly have some kind of safety violation (broken head/tail/brake light, cracked front/rear windshield, etc.). Finally, the police stop gives HPD the chance to check for current no-fault insurance.
                        Works for me, but expect a lot of hand-wringing about what that will do to the poor people who need to get to work.

Comment

Roads cost more and more due, primarily, to the increasing effects of the Politics of NO!. EIS, Public Hearings, NIMBYism, Sidewalks to nowhere, Delays for court, lawyers, etc etc. The reality is that we have fallen further and further behind in infrastructure, and it becomes more and more expensive to catch up.

35 years ago, the cost per mile to build roads was much less than it is today. Such is the legacy of a certain segment of our aging population.

But roads are not the only answer. To be successful, we must use ALL the solutions before us. Rail, Bus, Zip lanes, Commuter Lanes, Ride Sharing, Van Pools, Ferries, Shuttles, Tele-commuting, the whole shebang, including yes, more and wider roads.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            roads are not the only answer. To be successful, we must use ALL the solutions before us. Rail, Bus, Zip lanes, Commuter Lanes, Ride Sharing, Van Pools, Ferries, Shuttles, Tele-commuting, the whole shebang, including yes, more and wider roads.
                            As long as we can get federal funding and private investment for these projects, I’m all for it. If not, I think it’s an unfair burden on Hawai‘i’s taxpayers. That's not the politics of no. It’s simple economics.
                            Last edited by TuNnL; February 8, 2009, 06:20 AM. Reason: clarity

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

MY CURMUDGEON'S PROPOSAL: renew drivers' licenses ONLY to those who can drive a manual transmission. This would remove 50% or more of the drivers.

Unfortunately, many of the newly-unlicensed would continue to drive, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X