cingular online deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cingular online deal

howzit. some months ago, i posted a question about recommendations for a cell phone cuz my reception with t-mobile sucked big time. i got a lot of good feedback and decided to try cingular. i think it was kimo who suggested the cingular office on kapiolani. now while the folks there were nice enough, guess what? you can make out like a bandit if you check online. i guess i can't expect the guys in the office to say, "dude, why are you buying from us? you can get it for WAY cheaper if you go online!" and that's why i'm posting my two cents here. it might save someone some bucks.

okay, an example. say you walk into the kapiolani office and you wanna buy the motorola razr v3 phone. right now, they've got a "sale" and you pay something like $200 (i think) with a service plan. if you just bought the phone from some place, it'll run around $600 (obviously overpriced). anyway, just go to amazon.com and type in motorola razr and this is what you get:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...eless&n=507846

price after rebates = free! that's a pretty big difference.

in my case, i initially paid about $200 for two motorola v551 phones and a two year service plan. in a week, after checking the web, i could kick myself in the butt. i ended canceling the plan and buying from the web. in my case, i went to www4.letstalk.com (they're partners with nokia), got 2 nokia 6230 phones, a two year contract, and i come out AHEAD by $60! cuz of rebates. the deal that i got ends on the 23rd but you get the idea.

so just a word to the wise. if you wanna find the best deal, i'd suggest checking the web.

ps: thanks to malia and schrivner, etc. for your suggestions. (by the way, the cingular pay as go plan is pretty lame. you have to pay something like a dollar a day whether you use it so that means paying at least $30+ per month anyway. might as well pay a little more and get more.... just my two cents, of course.)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: cingular online deal

two considerations;

IF...one wants the best deal, it is many times online.
    But the local business loses out.
    and ya also don't get the service.
    as in "hey i bought this here, need some help with it..."

second, if one MUST buy online, at least give the local walk in companies a chance. at the very least, you have tactile and ocular proof that the particular phone model choice you make is what ya want no matter where ya buy it...

Comment

hi kimo

yup, you're right. the local cingular guys can't come close to what's being offered online and i don't know what's behind that, but i wish they could match what's available online cuz i'd prefer to buy it here.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: hi kimo

Originally posted by shaveice
        yup, you're right. the local cingular guys can't come close to what's being offered online and i don't know what's behind that,

here's a start;

overhead.
        salespersons.
        overly expensive business costs in Hawaii such as is not seen elsewhere.

Comment

The free phones are always for new activations only.

If you're an existing customer, then you'll always get raped by the prices if you want a new phone (you might as well buy an unlocked phone)
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            The free phones are always for new activations only.

If you're an existing customer, then you'll always get raped by the prices if you want a new phone (you might as well buy an unlocked phone)

there is absolutely no such thing as "get raped by the prices".

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              there is absolutely no such thing as "get raped by the prices".
              Its just an expression.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                Its just an expression.
                tell that to someone who went through the experience of being "raped".
                Listen to THEIR "expressions" they will fling at you.

An "expression", by definition, helps you express your message.
                THIS term is fully missapplied, here, and innapropriate.
                It does not embody or symbolize paying for a cell phone.
                Your 'expression' implies; through violent force and/or worse, your money is, against your will, taken from you.
                Buying any phone is completely voluntary.
                Last edited by kimo55; June 22, 2005, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X