Hawaii Threads Fantasy Football 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Threads Fantasy Football 2005

This is just a feeler, not a commitment!

Is anyone mildly or enthusiastically interested in forming a HawaiiThreads fantasy football league? Anyone with a passing interest in professional football could play (or even no interest at all, really); we'd conduct the draft here at HT over the course of a few weeks, then have Yahoo! track the stats and schedules.

Skip this paragraph if you already know what fantasy football is:
    In fantasy football, you and some of your friends draft "teams" of actual players in the NFL. Each week, the actual players' performances score points for your fantasy team. For example: Your fantasy team's quarterback is Donovan McNabb of the Philadelphia Eagles. If McNabb scores two touchdown passes and runs in a two-point conversion, he scores 10 points for your team. If your running back is LaDanian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers and he runs for one touchdown and racks up a hundred and twenty yards, he scores 10 points for your fantasy team. Don't get hung up on the scoring system just yet; just grasp the concept. Now, if in this week your fantasy team plays my fantasy team, we add up our total points and determine whether you've beaten me or I've beaten you. As the season progresses, you may trade players with another participant, or you may drop players from your roster and add them from the pool of available players.

If we get enough interest, I'll form the Yahoo! league and then we'll begin the draft here. I'll send everyone a cheat sheet (one person's rating of all the players at the scoring positions) and have a neutral third party draw the draft order. When it's your turn to draft, you'll post a reply stating the name, team, and position of the player you're drafting. The next person in the order will have 24 hours from the time of your post to make his or her selection. We'll continue this way until our rosters are full (probably twelve to fifteen rounds).

You'll need a Yahoo! ID (which is free and easy to acquire) and you'll have to commit to checking HT at least once every 24 hours during the draft.

I've run online fantasy football games on and off since 1988 and have been playing in leagues continuously since 1996 (in the Fantasy League of Eagle Alumni, or FLEA), so I've got a lot of experience and can ensure a painless and fun contest. I swear, you don't have to know a thing about football to have fun with this; in fact, it's often the people with very little football knowledge who do well in these kinds of games, since they don't have favorite teams, favorite players, or preconceived notions.

This would be strictly for fun (that is, no wagering or prizes). I'll decide at the end of the month if we've got enough interest to run the league (we're looking for at least eight players).

Got any questions? Post them here! Also, speak up if you're down!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Hawaii Threads Fantasy Football 2005

Ah, we tried last year, but interest fizzled. I'm willing to try again, if you're willing to humor a guy who knows nothing about football.

Comment

Zzzzzz.......
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm down to join a Hawaii Threads fantasy football league? I really like how Yahoo's Fantasy football is set up. Count me in.
        'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Why don't we just do an online draft on yahoo. We can just pre rank our players and set a date for the draft. And can't the order of whom get the picks get taken care of with yahoo. Just some suggestions
          'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

A fun article on fantasy football in Newsweek. Since time's running out, I figured I'd go ahead and start a HawaiiThreads League using the Yahoo! system. Anyone's invited to create a team and play along! Here's how:
            1. Go to Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football. Click "Sign Up Now."
            2. Login to your Yahoo! account, accept terms, then click "Join Existing Custom or Public League."
            3. Click "Join a Custom League."
            4. Enter League ID: 533185, password 808.
            5. Name your team, pick an icon, enter other settings, then register your team.
            Then you can check out the rest of the league, and pre-rank the players you like for the draft!

You can sign up until Friday, October 14!

Comment

Working...
            X