X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koa Trees Seeing Comeback in Hawaii

Koa Trees Seeing Comeback in Hawaii
    By JEANNETTE J. LEE, Associated Press Writer

Yellowed grasses cover the lower southern slopes of Mauna Kea where impenetrable koa forests once stood on the Big Island. But Hawaii's largest endemic tree, with its sickle-shaped leaves, has reclaimed some of its former territory over the last two decades.

Re: Koa Trees Seeing Comeback in Hawaii

Ah, just in time for it to become the next trendy material for furniture for the elite, leading to overharvesting and endangerment, all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Ah, just in time for it to become the next trendy material for furniture for the elite, leading to overharvesting and endangerment, all over again!
      That was my second thought.

My first thought was, "Oh, how cool! Imagine acres and acres and acres of koa!"

You're right. It wouldn't last long.
      ~'Ailina

Comment

My neighbor planted about 400 Koa trees. He says it will make his grandson a rich man some day He gave me four seedlings and they are about 20 feet tall now(after about two years). One of the reasons that Koa haven't regenerated is because cows love them seedlings.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Huh. Eight days after the original story appears through the Associated Press, the Honolulu Advertiser decides to pick it up for local circulation. Kinda late, eh guys?

Comment

Working...
          X