oil or something for long hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil or something for long hair?

i'm growing out my hair and for some reason it gets tangled really easily. don't know if my hair is too dry or if it's par for long hair. i grew it out some 10 years ago but i don't recall having this problem. anyway, i wondered if anyone out there had a similar problem and how you dealt with it. like, is there some kind of gel or oil that you use to keep it from getting all tangled? windy days are the worst.

thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: oil or something for long hair?

Originally posted by shaveice
    like, is there some kind of gel or oil that you use to keep it from getting all tangled?
    conditioner.
    tea tree oil.

Comment

thanks kimo. you know, i use a conditioner every night when i wash my hair and so when i comb my hair after showering, it's pretty much tangle free but after it dries, it becomes tangled pretty easily.

is that tea tree oil something i can easily find at places like longs?

thanks (and i laughed at your news flash about the new aquarium at ala moana!)
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
        is that tea tree oil something i can easily find at places like longs?

thanks (and i laughed at your news flash about the new aquarium at ala moana!)

mahalos!

ok: tea tree oil has been known for long time as really good for the hair.

You can find it at the two health food stores on King St. univ area.

http://www.naturalhairlossremedy.com...nditioner.html
        da shampoo not too bad too, but try the health food sources first.

and try the long hair site:
        really.
        http://www.tlhs.org/
        http://www.tlhs.org/cartip.html

Comment

thanks man. i'll check it out tonight!

Comment

Do as the NATIVES do...coconut oil, kukui nut oil or Noni oil all available at your LONGS Drugs Store.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If the oils don't work, try a leave-in conditioner. If you have fine hair that flies easily in the wind, a heavier conditioner will help weigh it down, and if you have thick hair, a light conditioner might be advised instead. If you are used to blow-drying your hair, that dries it out and make it frizzy, which also leads to tangling. There are specific leave-in conditioners just for blow drying too.

Good luck! When I was young, I used to have really long hair...it was too fine, so most of the time it was in one long braid to keep it from getting tangled/constantly getting in my face. Nowadays half-way down my back is long enough! :-)

Comment

I have crazy wild kinky hair and thank g*d my kids don't, LOL. I have this same problem. But what about tea tree oil? I have this tiny bottle of it. Do I mix it in something? Do I dilute it with water or pour into my Infusium Conditioner for extra help?
                I wondered if the tea tree oil I have is edible. Gosh sakes I love its scent!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  I have crazy wild kinky hair and thank g*d my kids don't, LOL. I have this same problem. But what about tea tree oil? I have this tiny bottle of it. Do I mix it in something? Do I dilute it with water or pour into my Infusium Conditioner for extra help?
                  I wondered if the tea tree oil I have is edible. Gosh sakes I love its scent!

ok; answers, in order;

yes.
                  Not til wednesday.
                  no.
                  maybe.
                  Microwave oven.
                  emphatically so.
                  absolutely not.
                  what da hell; give it a go.

Comment

thanks for the feedback. kimo, i went to downtoearth today and got a small bottle to try. will try some tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

as chaos wrote, my hair (to my surprise) is fine now. used to be much thicker. didn't notice the change. anyway, as chaos wrote, when the wind blows, it gets pretty messed up.

will let you know how it goes...

Comment

When my aunties were children, they all had long, long hair. My auntie told me they used coconut oil. I can't remember if she said they bought it or made it, but that would've been in the late 30s.

Coconut oil is available online for $8 a bottle and up. I'd still like to know how to make it myself, though.
                      ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
                        When my aunties were children, they all had long, long hair. My auntie told me they used coconut oil. I can't remember if she said they bought it or made it, but that would've been in the late 30s.

Coconut oil is available online for $8 a bottle and up. I'd still like to know how to make it myself, though.
                        Indian people use Baby oil or coconut oil too. Indian stores usually carry the coconut oil for hair. You could maybe try the Indian store near University Ave...they might carry something like that if you want to check it out.

Making it yourself might be too time-consuming. Here are two links to how it is made the old-fashioned way:
                        http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/CocoOil/CocoOil.html
                        and
                        http://turneffecoconut.com/making.html

If not here's something I found on coconut oil:

Virgin Coconut Oil and Your Hair

Coconut Oil is the best treatment to protect, and beautify your hair and skin!

Apply to the scalp (and hair) 20 – 30 minutes before washing or, for best results, leave on overnight (placing a clean towel on your pillow to protect it). Wash out the oil in the morning with a toxin free shampoo. Repeat once every two weeks.

For use on the body or hair, you may find it convenient to warm the oil until it becomes liquid (in an airing cupboard or place it in a bowl of warm water - NEVER microwave) and decant the oil into a bottle with a nozzle. Thereafter keep in a warm place for ease of use.

http://www.coconut-connections.com/hair.htm

OR....

For luscious healthy hair, use preservative free coconut oil. Take a suitable amount and massage through and leave in for 2 hours. To 'disperse' the coconut smell, add a few drops of jasmine or lavendar oil and mix it into the coconut oil. The treatment prevents split-ends and makes your hair glossy.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/rht49.html

On tea tree oil:

From what I know you are supposed to add a couple of drops to your shampoo and use that every other day or something like that.

If you have cats, keep tea tree oil away from them--it can be toxic.
                        Last edited by AbsolutChaos; June 24, 2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                          Indian people use Baby oil.

baby oil is not good for the human body; it is mineral oil which clogs pores. Mineral oil is synthetic oil made from petroleum by chemical processing.
                          It is usually recommended that only natural healthy oils that are absorbed by the skin, and beneficial to the body, should be used on any part of your body.

Baby oil is probably one of the dirtiest tricks american corporate mechandising has pulled on the consumer market around the world: They call it "baby oil" Nothing could be more innapropriate. It is not good for babies or even adults. It is composed only of mineral oil and fragrance. Two synthetic cheap unhealthy ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            baby oil is not good for the human body; it is mineral oil which clogs pores. Mineral oil is synthetic oil made from petroleum by chemical processing.
                            It is usually recommended that only natural healthy oils that are absorbed by the skin, and beneficial to the body, should be used on any part of your body.

Baby oil is probably one of the dirtiest tricks american corporate mechandising has pulled on the consumer market around the world: They call it "baby oil" Nothing could be more innapropriate. It is not good for babies or even adults. It is composed only of mineral oil and fragrance. Two synthetic cheap unhealthy ingredients.

Interesting...I never knew about that. I did a little search on the Internet and at first only saw something about how you should make sure babies/little kids don't ingest it, as it can kill them. Then I finally found this:

www.herballuxuries.com/mineral-oil.htm

Definitely "food" or not for thought...

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                              Then I finally found this:

www.herballuxuries.com/mineral-oil.htm

Definitely "food" or not for thought...

good web site.

been in the health and supplement industry for so long back in the 80's; a common bit of knowledge we would try to pass on to those shopping for a better more healthful life was educate them on this uh, "evil"
                              They always ask
                              "well, if it's so bad, why does every major company use it in their products?"
                              cuz it is the cheapest raw material available and it gives the illusion of softening skin. Besides what ever made you think the major corporations actually cared more for the health and well being of babies, children or adults... more than making a profit!?

As well as the obvious precaution of staying miles away from baby oil or any version thereof, ya otta read the list of ingredients of all your lotions, shampoos and conditioners.
                              See a bunch of chemicals and synthetic ingredients and mineral oil? (actually the top ingredient in most cheap lotions and many expensive ones IS mineral oil)
                              You are damaging your body by using these.

Too many other poisonous products to mention are being pawned off on us;
                              the maids one day asked me, when I told them to change the sheets in the guest house;
                              hey where are the fabric sheets?
                              the what?!
                              ya know, the fabric softener sheets.
                              Bounce. li dat.
                              I then proceeded to bore them stiff with my antifabric softener sheet diatribe:
                              These sheets are nothing but oil; they leave a very fine film of oil on the clothes when they bouce around the dryer. It is just a synthetic illusion that they soften fabric.
                              This kinda product will never see the light of day around here.
                              besides I am a guy. what guy wants "soft" fabric?!
                              Heyul; the best feeling in the world is sun dried turkish bath towels, when it has that stiff crunchy feel. best thing outta the shower. That sucker is thirstier than a poor slop crawling the Mohave desert for a month.
                              and it feeeeellls so good.
                              Another evil cast upon the masses are those "air fresheners" plugin things. They do NOthing more than spray a fine mist of synthetically scented synthetic oil into the air. which of course, does NOthing except mask any stale smell you may have noticed in a closed up room.
                              Well, actually, they do more; they burn down houses.

There are four basic ingredients in air fresheners:
                              formaldehyde,
                              petroleum distillates,
                              aerosol propellants, and;
                              p- dichlorobenzene =
                              Para-dichlorobenzene (p-DCB) is an organic solid of white crystals with a mothball-like odor. It is used mainly as an insecticidal fumigant against clothes, moths and as a deodorant for garbage and restrooms. It is also used as an insecticide and fungicide on crops, and in the manufacture of other organic chemicals and in plastics, dyes, pharmaceuticals. It may cause health problems if found in amounts greater than the health standard set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

What health and safety precautions do you need to think about when using air freshners? They are found to cause cancer and brain damage. They also are strong irritants to eyes, skin, and throat. These are usually highly flammable. Additionally, the solid fresheners usually cause death if eaten by people or pets.

heck; just open yer windows. Or use Baking soda, which is not toxic and can also be used to freshen the air in your home.
                              For a pack o lies and subterfuge;
                              http://www.glade.com/faqs.asp

the truth:
                              http://tuberose.com/Healthy_Home.html
                              Last edited by kimo55; June 24, 2005, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X