any unlock their cingular phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any unlock their cingular phone?

just wondering if any has unlocked their cingular cell phone. i don't think cingular cares, do they?

another naive questions: if the main purpose of unlocking a phone is so that it can be used with any service provider, anywhere in the world, why would people who don't travel want to unlock their phones? must be other reasons i'm not aware of.

all ears,

naive in honolulu
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: any unlock their cingular phone?

Originally posted by shaveice
    just wondering if any has unlocked their cingular cell phone. i don't think cingular cares, do they?

another naive questions: if the main purpose of unlocking a phone is so that it can be used with any service provider, anywhere in the world, why would people who don't travel want to unlock their phones? must be other reasons i'm not aware of.

all ears,

naive in honolulu
    I don't have Cingular, but I did unlock my Nokia 6010 phone, and at the perfect time also, because my cousin's (who has cingular) phone died on her, and she needed a phone so I lent mines to her for the night.

I guess if people want to use their phone on another network, then they'll unlock it for the convience (and you'll have a good backup phone if you get one of their free phones when you activated it)

And as long as you're out of your contract, they don't give a dang about you if you port over or unlock your phone (unless you're in a contract, then you're screwed with the $200 ETF)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

adri, thanks for the info. hmmm. didn't think about that. i guess it could come in handy if someone needed to use your phone...

of course, if you switch service providers (e.g., from cingular to verizon), it would come in handy as a backup as you said. or maybe even as your primary phone if it's a good one.

i've got the nokia 6230 and wonder (since you've got a nokia too) if you bothered to get the dku-2 cable for transfering stuff from your pc to your cell phone? i'm new to the nokia phones so i'm not sure what the possibilities are but the only thing i can think of might be adding new ring tones and transferring pictures either up to the phone or down from the phone to my pc.

anyway, your thoughts on getting/using the cable?
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

adri, thanks for the info. hmmm. didn't think about that. i guess it could come in handy if someone needed to use your phone...

of course, if you switch service providers (e.g., from cingular to verizon), it would come in handy as a backup as you said. or maybe even as your primary phone if it's a good one.

i've got the nokia 6230 and wonder (since you've got a nokia too) if you bothered to get the dku-2 cable for transfering stuff from your pc to your cell phone? i'm new to the nokia phones so i'm not sure what the possibilities are but the only thing i can think of might be adding new ring tones and transferring pictures either up to the phone or down from the phone to my pc.

anyway, your thoughts on getting/using the cable?
        Its only capatible between providers with the same technology(tmobile and Cingular/ATT so far here because they both use GSM technology), so you can't go between Verizon and cingular.

And yes, I got a data cable for my Nokia (from cellphoneshop.net), but a month after I got that, I upgraded my phone to a Motorola v300, so I only had a few weeks to play with that and the phone. But with my Motorola v300 phone, I can put ringtones, upload/download pictures, and really customize the phone to make it my own.

Comment

I think there are other reasons for unlocking your cell phone. I just started looking into mods for my Razr. You have to unlock it to get cool mods without paying outrageous prices for games and such. Try: Link
          for a whole world of things you can get off the internet.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
            I think there are other reasons for unlocking your cell phone. I just started looking into mods for my Razr. You have to unlock it to get cool mods without paying outrageous prices for games and such. Try: Link
            for a whole world of things you can get off the internet.
            No, unlocking a phone doesn't have to do with anything related to modding the phone.

I have a Tmobile moto v300 phone, that I mod with the software from that site, and I didn't need to unlock it to mod it (currently, I have more MP3 ringtones to do with, various wallpapers, a new theme, flashing keypad lights, modded external display, and various menu mods.)

Comment

thanks for the info

looks like i'll have to do more reading about this. thanks sokona, i'll check out the link later tonight.

adri, do you still have that usb cable for your old nokia? if so and if it's still in good condition, etc., would you wanna sell it or are you using it? not exactly sure how much a new one costs but i think i saw it on amazon for around $13. haven't looked at ebay yet. if you already sold the phone and cable, no sweat.

not exactly sure if it'd use it much...

also, doesn't seem like any cingular users with nokias on this board!

Comment

yo, i'm new to this stuff so pardon my ignorance but i just found out that there's a huge advantage to unlocking your phone that (i don't think) anyone's mentioned! let's say you go to europe. it allows you to buy a sim card from, say, spain, and pop it in your phone and then you can use it and it'd be like making a local call vs. an international call. will do more reading about it later (it's now 2:30 am) but that is one tremendous advantage. would come in handy when i travel.

Comment

ps: forgot to add that ??? is right in that you don't have to unlock your phone to modify it. there are all kinds of sites that let you download different ringtones, wallpapers, games, etc....

Comment

Re: thanks for the info

looks like i'll have to do more reading about this. thanks sokona, i'll check out the link later tonight.

adri, do you still have that usb cable for your old nokia? if so and if it's still in good condition, etc., would you wanna sell it or are you using it? not exactly sure how much a new one costs but i think i saw it on amazon for around $13. haven't looked at ebay yet. if you already sold the phone and cable, no sweat.

not exactly sure if it'd use it much...

also, doesn't seem like any cingular users with nokias on this board!
                    I bought it from cellphoneshop.net for the same price you're offering, so might as well buy it new (and I'm still using the phone, so I might need it to transfer wallpapers and ringtones).

yo, i'm new to this stuff so pardon my ignorance but i just found out that there's a huge advantage to unlocking your phone that (i don't think) anyone's mentioned! let's say you go to europe. it allows you to buy a sim card from, say, spain, and pop it in your phone and then you can use it and it'd be like making a local call vs. an international call. will do more reading about it later (it's now 2:30 am) but that is one tremendous advantage. would come in handy when i travel.
                    I already mentioned that you can use any provider with the same phone as long as it has the capable technology that the network and the phone use. A lot of people associate unlocking with traveling to europe (especially with a GSM phone), but I put it one step closer to home and mentioned that you can also use other providers with the same technology as what the phone can handle.

ps: forgot to add that ??? is right in that you don't have to unlock your phone to modify it. there are all kinds of sites that let you download different ringtones, wallpapers, games, etc....
                    Yes, you don't need an unlocked phone to modify it. The simpliest way to modify a phone, is to have a data cable (which you can buy from cellphoneshop.net). Just plug that cable into the computer and phone, install the drivers and software, and get ready to customize your phone. Another way to modify a phone, is through bluetooth, but that's limited to what you can do (so far, you can't SEEM edit). Also, you can add pics and ringtones via a memory chip if the phone has one, but phones with that capability is very limited.

If you want more information, check Howard Forums. There, you can search for almost anything you need for a phone, from service to modding to selling/buying a new phone and accessories.

(and mods, sorry for the amount of advertising in this one post)

Comment

hi adri,

i see! well, you know you're dealing with a lolo so you gatta understand! ha! ha!

went to the site you recommended and ordered the cable. (thanks!) too bad we gatta pay shipping but i guess it's still cheaper than most places.

yeah, i ran into howard forums last night was doing some searching on unlocking nokias.

thanks again!

Comment

hey adri

adri, like i wrote in my previous post, thanks for the link. i did order the cable online, but i was wondering if you know of any local shops that sell nokia accessories like the cable or other stuff. i mean, obviously, nokia shops like the one on kapiolani will have some stuff but do you know of any generic shops that might carry nokia stuff?

just wondering...

Comment

Working...
                        X