Obesity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity

Hello. I will be the first to admit I am obese and I am working on it by working out and trying to eat the right sort of foods. I loss about fifteen pounds so I am happy but I still need to lose more. I have friends who are emotional eater's who when after a long day of pressure they eat without really needing to, I mean they already ate a course meal but can't stop indulging themselves. I have friends who tell me it is hard to lose weight and I agree it is. It is easier to gain weight than it is to lose weight. I mean when it come's down to actually trying you just end up saying I will do it tomorrow and tomorrow come's and you say tomorrow again but tomorrow never come's. It's hard to cut back on foods especially those we crave and how do you say no to something good when it is offered. The problem is if you don't say no food will always be offered because no one wants to waste(at least the people I know.) food and you become and open target for obesity, by over indulging. So I sort of willed myself to stop. I am not a garbage disposal I told myself. What diet works I wonder? There are so many to choose from. I am just proud to say I lost a few pounds, and am going to try extra hard to lose more. I encourage those who are over weight to do so as well. I believe I have the will to change myself. I want to live longer and not die at a young age as some good friends of mine who have passed on.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Obesity

Originally posted by Pedro
    Hello. I will be the first to admit I am obese and

Oh No! I was the first to admit first, I was on da heavy side and gotta stop chuggin so many brewskis.

Comment

Great job Pedro! Wow 15 lbs. is alot of weight to lose. I am also obese but I like to call it "blossomed." Hmmm...I weighed average 180 -185 lbs. just last year. I blossomed to 223 lbs. After the food posioning I am down to 205. I am trying to do my best in eating the right kinds of foods. Fruits, salads and smaller portions. Once in awhile, I'll cheat and eat a cheesecake or something that is forbidden. My weight gain is due to being emotional. Everytime I get emotional I eat. MAMA and I love to eat out all the time. The difference is I've also learn to say "no" to the kinds of foods that are not good for me. I feel much better, and my self esteem is up again. I want to lose 20 more pounds but if I can't, it's ok. I can live with who I've blossomed into...body and soul!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Pedro, it sounds like you've already found something that works. Fifteen pounds? How long did it take to lose that, and how much more would you like to lose? If you're losing weight and you're doing it in a healthy manner, why would you look for some other way, unless you're utterly miserable and you're looking for a way that's not so depressing?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Pedro, it sounds like you've already found something that works. Fifteen pounds? How long did it take to lose that, and how much more would you like to lose? If you're losing weight and you're doing it in a healthy manner, why would you look for some other way, unless you're utterly miserable and you're looking for a way that's not so depressing?
          It took me two months. A long time yes I know and I will still try to lose more maybe 50. Depressing? No. I stick to my regular diet and I was only asking others if they had another way of dieting. Everyone has a way but their is never a simple solution. Depressed is waking up in the morning feeling dead tired for no reason, doing nothing the whole day and still feeling tired having done and acomplished nothing, than getting angry for being lazy, waking up the next day repeating the same thing expecting a different or better result each time. My version of Depressed, and insane. I don't like those kind of day's and I will avoid it, by exercising and keeping active. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.
          Last edited by Pedro; June 26, 2005, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Right on Pedro. The beginning of this year I too decided to lose some weight. But it's taken me 6 months to lose the same 15 pounds. I no longer have any dessert items in the house and have cut back on the carbs, bread/rice. I've been taking time out in nature too. We know that what we eat is only part of the answer. Exercise is needed also. Not only for our weight but for our overall health. Keep it up my friend.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
              I was only asking others if they had another way of dieting.
              eat fresh whole live foods. stay far away from fastfood places. This is DEAD food. empty calories. JUST because you feel "full" does not mean you gave your body what it needs.
              drink lots of water. No heavy meat and processed foods after 6 pm.

for most, the objective of dieting is to lose weight.
              what ya put into yer mouth is a small part of losing weight. It will turn into a losing battle if yer mental state is working against your efforts.
              eg;
              "It's hard to lose weight"
              sharing this kinda negativity with others will not help at all.
              You must have an image in your mind of how you want to look. and start using positive affirmative statements, words and thoughts.
              "It is easy to lose weight. I am fit, trim and slim with alotta energy..." etc.
              It is more fun to positively brainwash yerself than to allow yer friends and the world and your past habits to brainwash yourself negatively.
              You will like the results better, too.

Excersise every day. start off jogging a little around your neighborhood. You will be amazed at the level of energy you have by doing this now and then. Lift weights often, At the gym or buy some and sling em around in yer garage , lanai or den.

oh and if you are inclined, join yer local canoe club. many of them are very open to new members who are dedicated and have a sincere interest...
              this is great excercise. and if ya can, try go swimming at yer fave beach.
              Last edited by kimo55; June 26, 2005, 04:09 PM.

Comment

My dad's love for food and a lifetime of poor eating habits contributed to his heart disease & diabetes that eventually killed him. He was overweight for most of his life.

I'm not overweight, but my siblings and I struggle with the same kinds of food addictions, and I just know it's going to catch up with me if I don't start eating healthy.

My problem is cravings, too. I LOVE food, and when I'm eating, I get that trademark high.... I tend to overeat, too.

A tragic thing...the reason I moved away from Hawai`i to begin with was to help my dad get on track, to cook for him and help him take care of himself. Even as his disease got worse, he couldn't bring himself to give up all that great-tasting, unhealthy food. In his head, life wasn't the same without it.

I find myself dealing with the temptation in the same way. I know the stuff I eat isn't healthy, but I have failed time and time again to PASS on those great-tasting, unhealthy foods. When it's there to eat, or when I have the ingredients to cook it, I haven't found the willpower to say, "No, I'll have a piece of fruit instead."

I know I'm going to have to change soon, or me--and my family--will pay for it.
                ~'Ailina

Comment

hey ailina, interesting post. one advantage that you have at this time is your awareness of the situation. i wish you strength in acting on what you know to be true.

i don't know if you feel this way too but i know that in my case, convenience is really important in terms of what i buy and eat (which is part of the reason why i started the other thread about eating healthy): if i know of places that offer good, healthy meals, i'll happily buy my dinners/lunches from them cuz i think the taste of good healthy food is as good if not better than the unhealthy stuff. so part of my problem is that i don't know of many places that sell meals that are really healthy.

small example: every now and then, i'll make fresh squeezed orange juice and i swear, when i drink it, i think, "damn! this is soooooo good!" 10x better than anything i've ever tasted from places that sell fruit juices (jamba juice, etc.) my problem, again, is that i don't feel motivated to squeeze my own juice every day and i don't know of any place that sells fresh orange juice that can match my unskilled hands!

anyway, sorry for rambling and thanks for sharing. like i said, i hope you'll find the strength to do what you know is right for your health.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                    anyway, sorry for rambling and thanks for sharing. like i said, i hope you'll find the strength to do what you know is right for your health.
                    Thank you, shaveice. I believe it's going to take quite an effort to turn the whole family's eating habits around, but maybe we can do it as a team.

I don't really have a problem with convenience. I have to cook for a family of seven, so when I cook, I COOK. I don't mind taking the extra time to "squeeze my own orange juice," as it were. I bake homemade bread quite often. Actually, I make as much from scratch as I can, because it's WAAAAY cheaper to do it that way than buy prepared food.

I know what you mean about availability of things like REAL freshly squeezed orange juice. But here's something you might try. When that rare mood strikes you and you feel you're up to squeezing some oranges, squeeze as much as you can tolerate. Make an afternoon of it. Get a friend to help--that would be fun!

Keep in the fridge what you think you're going to drink fairly immediately, and freeze the rest in several containers. This way, you can enjoy your freshly-squeezed orange juice for a long time without having to go through all that work over and over again!
                    ~'Ailina

Comment

I have travelled all over the world and only in America have I seen so many fat people.My friends from Europe and Asia visit here and they are shocked to see so many fat people walking around.Back home seeing a fat person in the street is rare but they come here and they see the streets filled with fat people.
                      Ironic that hundreds of millions of people are starving to death around the world and Americans are trying to lose weight and feeding their toy poodles filet mignon.But that won't last much longer.
                      Last edited by arrakis; June 27, 2005, 07:52 AM.
                      free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Comment

I too have a weight problem that I am battling. But besides that I have to share a observation.

I went this week to the island to check our new house and because of the contractors working on the house, we stayed at the Parc hotel. Well in the morning as usual I was having a cup of coffee from Star Bucks and a smoke on the balcony and I kept hearing 1,2,3,4,5......... and I looked down and to my surprise I saw 40 construction workers exercising. There were painters in all white, the helpers in matching T-shirts, and the Forman in regular clothes all doing exercises!!!!!!!!

I was shocked at first, but then I thought WOW! what a great idea. Well the workers didn't look to happy but change is never easy.

Because of eating late at night (when It would cool down) and the cost of healthy foods, my four children, my husband and I have been struggling to stay healthy.

I am so excited to move back to the island to have access to healthly food choices that we can afford. Fish, vegetables and fresh fruit is a luxury here on the Main land and not so fresh at that. I know the food prices on the island are expensive, but at least there are good farmers markets and fresh fish mongrels to provide pestiside free foods!!!

Since all of my children are athletic, it is embarassing for me and I am sure them to introduce there obese mama to their friends. And to top it off I can't be a obese nurse teaching about nutrition!!! 5ft 9 at 230pds

No more excuses, time to get healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing such a personal issue and props for the weight loss!!!!!
                        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cnecki
                          . Well in the morning as usual I was having a smoke on the balcony

I have been struggling to stay healthy.

No more excuses, time to get healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's one place to start...

Comment

Ironic that hundreds of millions of people are starving to death around the world and Americans are trying to lose weight and feeding their toy poodles filet mignon.But that won't last much longer.[/QUOTE]

In other countries people are lucky to eat a day's worth of food. In America we have ton's of food mostly fattening unhealthy foods, which sell at good prices I might add. It is funny that Americans are trying to lose weight, but can you blame them for wanting to change their lifestyle. You come off a bit too strong and conceited but I understand what you are trying to say. Did you want to blame the system for our choices? I take responsibility for what I do to myself. We live in a free country with an abundance of food, I know that with that much food we should be feeding the rest of the world. But what was it you were trying to say? We live to lavish? I know that. I am thankful for each and everything I have and if you are critizing me for what I think I have to do to be healthy, than I don't know what to tell you, except I am going to keep on doing it, regardless of what you think or say.

Comment

Did I miss something? Pedro from reading all the other comments, I don't see anyone offending you. Infact, some of us have openly said that we are also FAT. Losing weight and changing one's lifestyle is not easy...I know it personally. I am going through it myself. To try to poke fun or discourage someone for anything the person is trying to accomplish is not my style nor the way most of the other members feel. We are an Ohana here. Yes, we do have our heated moments as any family has.

Focus on what you want to achieve and you will make it. It boils down to you and how much you want it. Good luck and God bless you.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; June 27, 2005, 10:54 AM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X