eating healthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eating healthy

a day or so ago, kimo wrote some really interesting stuff about baby oil, etc., everyday stuff that we put on or into our bodies without a thought. i appreciated that and am willing to make some changes. related to that, i'm sure we eat a lot of stuff that isn't good for us. the recent threads about obesity and what's for lunch, and supporting the local farmers, etc. are interesting and now i'd like to extend it in a slightly different direction:

what local places (especially small businesses) sell meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner) that are healthy?

of course, i'm hoping that the food will taste good, too!

eating healthy would be good for our bodies, help us lose weight, etc and we'd be supporting the kinds of small businesses we believe in (vs the fast food chains that have tons of money).

the only place that comes immediately to mind is the well bento but i'm sure there must be many more. oh, i guess the food thing at downtoearth.

anyway, i'm all ears (and soon, mouth)....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: eating healthy

Remember what Jared did with Subway? Lost weight and made money(commercials). Just the first and obvious suggestion.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
      Remember what Jared did with Subway? Lost weight and made money(commercials). Just the first and obvious suggestion.

yea, man. Subway may be one of the very few exceptions to the rule of; stay away from corporate fast food.

Thier stuff is fresh and healthy, relatively speaking.

Comment

Even with subway you have to eat carefully. If I remember right Jared only ate a specific type of sandwich, one with no mayo, oil, or fatty meats like meatballs or pastrami.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraScoop
          Even with subway you have to eat carefully. If I remember right Jared only ate a specific type of sandwich, one with no mayo, oil, or fatty meats like meatballs or pastrami.

good point. (maybe dass why da guy looks so boring.)

Comment

Subway does have some good choices (besides their salads). They actually have 7 six-inch subs that have 6 grams of fat or less. One of my faves is the sweet onion chicken teriyaki. Their wraps are tasty too. The way you make it healthier is to ask for extra veggies (they'll fill you up at the same time). I usually have them add lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers on my sandwiches.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; June 26, 2005, 05:39 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Truthfully the healthiest way to eat is "home" cooking. My wife is a terrific cook. Stews, curries, soups, chicken salads, and various fish dishes. Smaller portions of meat compensated with more vegetables. When we do go out, it's usually either Japanese or Chinese places. I think that's the healthier choices unless you go completely vegetarian
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hi buddy, i agree that home cooking is best but i guess i'm looking for suggestions outside of home cooking and so far there's only been one specific suggestion (subway) and one general suggestion (japanese/chinese). looking for suggestions like well bento which i think is pretty good. their selection is limited but all are tasty and reasonably priced (2nd floor, on beretania, near beretania/university intersection, diagonally across star market).

i'd like to believe that there are more small places like well bento but maybe there aren't?
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

yah i'm trying to eat healthy too. we bought whole grain bread and brown rice. been eating it for a few months now. been making sardine on brown bread with cheese, tomatoes, mayo, and watercress sandwich for lunch. very filling! i wana try making bahn mi thit sandwiches as soon as i can get some pate' made and the daikon/carrot pickle. cheaper den goin Bale Sandwhich eh!
                  Reggie aka pinakboy
                  Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                  Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                  Recipe Tube TV!
                  Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

just a little note about down to earth. did you know that you can request a little tour of the place? from their website:

Our community outreach team offers store tours to both individuals and groups who are interested in learning about natural food products, how to shop in a natural food store, and easy ways to cook healthy meals.

so i emailed april and she gave me an excellent tour of the place with lots of personal suggestions and recommendations.

April Cockrell, Marketing/Community Outreach Director april@downtoearth.org

Comment

PH levels are important to the body. The body tries to establish an alkaline level thru it's digestive system. When it becomes acidic, organ and glandular function become reduced and the body cannot produce the necessary hormones, or chemicals necessary for healthy living.

What you eat is vitally important. A lot of acidic foods are broken down in the mouth with our saliva becoming less acidic as it passes down to our stomach. Your digestive system tries to establish a PH level that is balanced to your body.

One of the best ways to balance your body is to simply drink water, lots of it but not more than a gallon at once (that will kill you). Water helps stabilize your alkalinity in your body. Once it's stabile, your body will produce the necessary hormones to keep itself healthy. Yes the body can heal itself and make the corrections to stay fit. All you need to do is to feed it the right fuel to suppliment what the body is already trying to do.

Once the body is alkaline-stable, your circulatory system does the rest channeling much needed oxygen to the organs and glands so they can keep you healthy and alive.

The problem with our blood is that in the presence of oxygen (necessary for living), it becomes to oxidize. Basically it begins to rust! So part of glandular function is to provide anti-oxidants to keep the blood oxygen-enriched yet not rust at the same time.

So the key to healthy eating is to drink lots of water and eat foods rich in anti-oxidants. These foods must also contain necessary vitamins and minerals that the body needs. Your vitamin-B complex like B-12 are vital for brain development. Foods like carrots are high in anti-oxidants (beta carotine). Greens provide all of your calcium needs for strong bone development.

One way to help your diet is to do deep breathing exercises. Deep breathing helps oxygenate your blood faster than normal breathing and as we know oxygen is important for living.

If there's one thing to monitor in your body, it should be your alkaline levels. An acidic body results in poor digestion which can lead to obesity and a host of circulatory problems. Poor circulation and a bad diet (low in anti oxidants) can result in organ and glandular failure. When these fail your body starts to degrade with things like high cholestoral, high blood pressure, heart/kidney/liver disease.

When these organs can't do their job the bad stuff goes down to your lower intestines and then you begin to have colon/prostate problems and finally those output devices fail and you have some major problems going on inside your body.

When the kidneys fail it sends tainted blood to all of your other vital organs and glands. One of the most important glands is the Thyroid Gland. An underactive thyroid makes you overweight, tired, anxietized, depressed and a whole host of emotional upheavals coupled with physical lack lusture. You feel as if you need a body transplant. The Thyroid gland needs a steady source of Iodine for proper glandular production to keep you happy and your metabolism up. Rooty foods like potatoes, carrots, taro are rich in iodine.

Every organ and gland works as a team to support each other and keeps the body healthy and free from disease (that aren't genetic). It all starts with your diet, and the most important aspects of a healthy diet is water and air. Drink plenty of it and breathe deep.
                      Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 18, 2005, 09:47 AM.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hey craig, you are one multitalented guy! thanks for the info. when i was younger, i never ever thought about exercising as a thing to do to stay healthy. lift weights? no way. jog? boring. but i've never been as healthy cuz instead of thinking "exercise", i always thought "play for fun!" being healthy and keeping my body in shape was a natural and unintentional consequence of just playing. i wish i had the time to do the same these days!

anyway, is there a good, solid book that you'd recommend that covers this huge subject of diet and maybe exercise? if not, don't worry about it. i mean, if i walk into some place like borders, there'll be a hundred books on the subject but i wondered if you personally know of a book that you think is head and shoulders above the rest?

thanks again for the helpful info!

Comment

much mahaloz craig for the good reads!! u jus like one medical expert eh!! cool!! no need google fo info i jus read all ur posts eh!!
                          Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

One of the best books I can think of off the top of my head is Dr. Terry Shintani's series of books. He's a true vegan (doesn't eat fish or milk products). There's a ton of stuff on the human body and it's relationship to PH levels regarding alkalinity.

There's one thing about reading or researching this kind of literature, but to really understand the nature of the physics and chemical workings of the human body, you should have a general understanding of chemistry and physics. Chemistry to understand how proper glandular function makes your body a chemical plant that controls you. You feel depressed? You're not producing enough of a chemical called endorphines. Eat dark chocolate to boost production of endorphines, it's really that simple.

One thing God gave us was a body that can heal itself. We dump bad stuff into our bodies that poison it to the point where the body chemical plant goes on strike for unfavorable working conditions. Pretty soon the plant falls into disrepair and management has to lay off it's office personel (the brain) and then the whole company shuts down (the body dies).

Reminds me of another of Craig's stupid Bar Room jokes that for some reason I still remember even though I was so intoxicated I can't figure out how my brain saved that little bit of info:

One day the body's organs were having an arguement as to who was the most important organ. The Brain was the first to gloat that without it the body couldn't think for itself and would fall off a cliff or something

The Heart disagreed, saying without blood pumping around the body all would suffocate from lack of oxygen.

The Lungs said, "Oh yeah and I provide the air for the rest of you guys so I'm the most important".

The Kidneys said that without him the body would poison itself to death.

The Stomach said, "Yeah but without me the body wouldn't be nourished".

While the body was arguing to itself, the lowly asshole chimed in, "Hey you guys what about me aren't I important?"

All the organs laughed and teased the poor little output device, "You're just an asshole you asshole" and the poor little puka went into hiding saying, "you're all mean and to prove I'm the most important I'm going to hide and not do anything".

Well they all continued laughing and eventually went to bed that night. The next morning, the Brain tried to wake up the body but didn't have enough energy to do so, the Heart felt a bit heavy and the lungs were out of breath. The stomach said he felt pretty congested and bloated while the Kidneys complained that it couldn't keep up with the garbage the body was producing.

This went on for a few days until they remembered the lowly asshole. It was true they all exclaimed, the poor little asshole had clammed itself up in shame and affected the entire body!

"Okay...we give up, you are the most important organ in the body" and with that the little asshole gave out a huge sigh of relief and the body was regular again. Whew! what a relief that was!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Subway does have some good choices (besides their salads). They actually have 7 six-inch subs that have 6 grams of fat or less. One of my faves is the sweet onion chicken teriyaki.
                              Ah, this is my fave sub! I never get any cheese or oil on it!
                              Lovena

Comment

Working...
                              X