5 Questions: Wasting and Saving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Questions: Wasting and Saving!

Answer in as many or as few words as you'd like, but let us know your responses to these questions about resources!
    1. What is something you do that’s wasteful of natural resources?
    2. What is something you do that’s wasteful of personal resources?
    3. What is something you do that’s conservative of natural resources?
    4. What is something you do that’s conservative of personal resources?
    5. What’s something you do that’s wasteful of office (or otherwise professional / scholarly) resources? (be honest!)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: 5 Questions: Wasting and Saving!

1. 3-minute showers
    2. not saving enough money for that "rainy day"
    3. recycling
    4. trying not to buy frivolous, unnecessary things; patronizing local businesses as much as possible
    5. too much time surfing on the computer (waiting for others to do their part of a job so I can do mine)

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

1) Continue to drive my car.
      2) Make the whims of my partner reality,
      Of course that's only my opinion.
      3) I take quick, but thorough showers and
      Turn off the water while brushing my teeth.
      4) Do own home repairs and car tune ups.
      5) Write poems and doodle on their paper.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

1. Definitely waste water. My showers run about 15 minutes (lots of hair to wash), and I (Yikes!) let the faucet run when I brush my teeth.
        2. I smoke, and I drink WAY too much coffee. Add it up.
        3. I don't drive unless it's absolutely necessary. But I wouldn't chalk that up to conservation. Driving is too stressful for me, so I avoid it.
        4. I don't shop for myself. The clothes, jewelry, etc. that I have were mostly gifts. I've had the same stuff for years.
        5. I print out a LOT of stuff. BUT...I also consciously conserve office resources by printing on both front and backs of pages, reusing sheets when there's not a lot on it, and using colored paper I buy in bulk on eBay instead of buying brand new packs of white printer paper all the time.
        ~'Ailina

Comment

1. Leave the A/C on too long, especially during our recent heatwave
          2. one word: eBay!
          3. I have never learned to drive-use pub trans or hoof it!
          4. See #3...
          5. Too much net surfing...

Comment

1. Wasting water on hot showers. Long, hot showers.
            2. Wasting too much time on HawaiiThreads.
            3. Using a solar heater for the water for my long hot showers.
            4. Bringing home lunches instead of blowing $5-10 a day on restaurant lunches.
            5. Using the office color laserjet to print interesting stuff.

Comment

Use my computer way too much and leave it on while its idle
              Post whoring at various forums
              Not littering?
              Save money for a laptop/emergency
              5. What’s something you do that’s wasteful of office (or otherwise professional / scholarly) resources? (be honest!)
              Waisting my school's bandwidth by visiting these forums on my portable firefox (if you don't see me online for a while, then you'll know why )
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Answer in as many or as few words as you'd like, but let us know your responses to these questions about resources!
                  I'm answering these without seeing what others wrote. It's a good thread.
                  I sometimes drive the Sienna too fast. I know that wastes gas. I also have to wash the dishes with the water running all the time. I feel guilty, but it's the way I learned to do it. I use a paper towel for everything.
                  Uh. Sit here and answer HT stuff instead of writing a story or going to sleep!
                  I recycle our green waste. I feel good about that. I wash in cold water. I hang clothes on the line.
                  I meld the soap bars together in the shower, I use a Q-tip to get the last bit of moisturizer out of the Oil of Olay stuff, I can make a toothpaste tube squeal like a pig, I donate old clothing and things from around the house to charity.
                I started this new job four months ago, and it's part time, so there's not much wasting going on. I'm too busy the whole time I'm there. I guess I could be more effective with my time management. I don't play games on the computer while there, but sometimes I can space out (and those of you who know me understand it's because I've got two kids, write two or three stories a week, keep house, work the job, take girls to hula and tap, ballet, tumbling, I'm on the school board, etc.) So I can space out for a minute or two while on the clock!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

]What is something you do that’s wasteful of natural resources?
                  I definitely use more water than I need to–I wash my hands all, all, all the time and wash dishes with the water running.

What is something you do that’s wasteful of personal resources?
                  I stay up too late, wasting not only good sleep-time but the energy I’d have if I got at least seven hours of sleep per night. I consider this ripping off myself and my school.

What is something you do that’s conservative of natural resources?
                  Utilize public transportation and walk whenever possible.

What is something you do that’s conservative of personal resources?
                  I shop at Savers for most of my clothes.

What’s something you do that’s wasteful of office resources? (be honest!)
                  I don’t conserve paper-clips, for sure. I frequently toss out stacks of paper without removing the paper-clips that hold them together. I know, it’s awful.
                  Last edited by scrivener; June 28, 2005, 12:15 AM.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                  X