'Next Door' in chinatown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Next Door' in chinatown

did you hear about this? this sleep deprived dad only read about it tonight! cool idea and hope it floats!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../en/en01a.html

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...30/focus1.html

http://starbulletin.com/2005/06/21/features/story2.html

defiinitely something i'd like to support....
    Last edited by shaveice; June 27, 2005, 12:42 AM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: 'Next Door' in chinatown

forgot to mention that i thought i had blown my chances to watch anything but if you scroll down to the bottom of the advertiser article, you'll see that they've got a bunch of stuff going on this week! yahoooooooo!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Some friends of mine poked their heads into the Next Door space last Wednesday night and said it still looked ridiculously far from being ready to host the Cinema Paradise festival only two nights later. Has anyone checked it out since then? I'm curious.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I hope the new businesses opening up in Chinatown will all make it. My personal experience having being born and raised in the area...Nada's! The new furniture store that recently opened up with "different artworks" is not new. On Nuuanu there is "different and creative artwork" too. They say they spent in excess of $150.000

"Next Door" estimates they spent $ 300.000. Indigo's, I don't know how much. The Mexican Resturant seems to be doing well (different and better landlord, Alan) but people are grumbling that the food prices are a bit high. All and good and I wish them all well. If they got money to burn, time on their hand and can put up with "Christy" whose mother owns the building. Then fine and dandy. Their rent must be ridiculous. Tenant after tenant have gone bankrupt renting from her. Not only paying their own insurance but everything else for a bussiness in Hawaii. The now defunct Kaspy's which was Mr. C's was rented out for $ 5,000+, insurance, utilitities, $4,000, etc. etc. Both bussiness closed within six months. Great ideas, great beginnings, people just stopped coming.

Why? Chinatown is the mecca of Drug Activities. It is so apparent during either day or night. Mel's Video is across the street where druggies go to smoke their dope and come out holding the walls or staring into space. Parking is rough. The back streets are more infected with Drug Dealers and Drug Users. One of the owners of the furniture store said on the news the other night that they didn't want to take away the feel of the area...duh? He must know something I don't or he is a bit away from reality than me.

Like I stated earlier somewhere at hawaiithreads.com, Chinatown is Chinatown. To much promises to clean it up and never happened. If these businesses will generate law enforcement to finally clean up the area...go for it. The amount of money they spent warrants some kind of interest from HPD, FBI, and DEA. Oh, just another tid bit of information...The building that Next Door will be was once confiscated by the FBI and Christy almost lost it. Personally, I think she should have. She's a crook!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
        Last edited by 1stwahine; June 27, 2005, 08:19 AM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If any of you want to check out the new businesses and also the other arts and cultural events in Chinatown, this Friday supposed to be First Friday where doors are opened late so others not of the area can visit and see what's happening. Some of the Art places showcase music entertainment and light pupus. This would be a great time to visit Next Door and the Furniture/Art Store that recently opened up. Yeah right!

Anyways, if anybody is interested for a night tour of Chinatown...to see it from another perspective let me know by PM. I guarantee a tour you would remember and never forget. Fee: No charge. Community Service

Auntie Pupule

PS. I have to check if this Friday is actually the First Friday Celebrations...sometimes they hold it on the second Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            Some friends of mine poked their heads into the Next Door space last Wednesday night and said it still looked ridiculously far from being ready to host the Cinema Paradise festival only two nights later. Has anyone checked it out since then? I'm curious.
            i worked on HUFF with sergio and chris, back in the day, and have limited involvement with CP...if the past is any indication, the two with pull off the event despite flirting with deadline disaster...these kinds of indie events are logistical behemoths...i'm sure it was exciting, but they'll pull it off well...
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Auntie Pupule

PS. I have to check if this Friday is actually the First Friday Celebrations...sometimes they hold it on the second Friday.

First Friday IS this Friday (July 1). I'm going to the free Honolulu Centennial Celebration instead this time...I'd like to meet up with ya in Chinatown for the First Friday in August if I can though!

Ha 'aheo No'o Honolulu
              --Friday, July 1
              --FREE
              --6pm to 10pm (gates open at 5pm)
              --COOLERS AND LAWN CHAIRS NOT ALLOWED
              --"Under the stars at the Waikiki Shell, a FREE signature extravaganza
              concert to kick off the Honolulu City celebration of 100 years. Join
              us as we celebrate with song and dance from various ethnic cultures
              with an emphasis on the host Hawaiian culture...100 conch shell
              blowers, 100 hula dancers, 100 choral singers, and a huge grand finale
              with Na Palapalai, The Makaha Sons, Aunty Genoa Keawe, and Mayor Mufi
              Hannemann."
              --TICKETS ARE LIMITED AND are required for entry. There's a coupon in
              the MIDWEEK and ADVERTISER. This coupon entitles you
              to TWO free tickets. You must present this coupon to a Times
              Supermarket Ticketmaster in order to get your tickets (walk in service
              only).

Comment

Good morning AbsolutChaos! That's a great line up of entertainment. Have fun. Me, I'm going to Chinatown. I need to update information for my blog about the other community that exists. Also, I'm in the process of asking many of the homeless women in Chinatown on their stories and how they got to be in the situation their in...again for my blog. That won't take one night. It's an ongoing thing like the other community.

So, I'll be lurking in Chinatown. Visiting, walking around, drinking and causing havoc like I always do. Reputation as Aunty Lynn of Chinatown! nah, I've changed...not that mean and Bitchy! Not!

As for August's First Friday: It's a go!

Auntiy Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

Chinatown’s First Friday was a success for everyone last night. Every business was busy! I got off at my regular bus stop on Smith and Hotel. There was a line to go upstairs at 39 Hotel (name of business). The bouncer, Sol stands wearing a black t-shirt watching for any trouble that is brewing…yet, the bar is upstairs. Sol used to be the bouncer for Kaspys which is now Bar 35. I ask him which one was better? He told me Kaspy’s didn’t pay him his last two checks. This one he gets paid regularly.

more? http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Comment

It's that time again.First Friday in Chinatown, this Friday, August 5th. Lot's of Art Works. Visit my friend, Roy Venters at his gallery on Nuuanu Ave.

Night Tour of the other side of Chinatown still available. Free

Auntie Lynn

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/e299w

Nice fella. famous round downtown. good artiste....
                      cute gallery space.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        http://tinyurl.com/e299w

Nice fella. famous round downtown. good artiste....
                        cute gallery space.
                        Roy has a new gallery since last year! It's quite BIGGER and CUTER!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Roy has a new gallery since last year! It's quite BIGGER and CUTER!

Oh much biggah an cuter den da won i wuz in foah dayz ago!?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            Oh much biggah an cuter den da won i wuz in foah dayz ago!?
                            Kimo, the one on the left is his old place and where he does his work. Two doors up is his gallery. He also lives downstairs of his gallery. Four days ago? So, are you going to First Friday? It should be a lot of FUN!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Just want the curious to know that The Next Door had something different this past weekend. Don't know if they still showing movies during the day. At night, there's a lot of people venturing into the place to dance to the sounds of DJ!!!! Out of the three new bar's...35 N. Hotel seems to be the more elite crowd, my personal opionion. LOL

Ok, want to know more what happened last night?
                              check my blog at http://wwwhawaiistories.com/lynn

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X