Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Hi I have heard different things about how Hawaiin locals feel about visitors, or new comers that move from the states to Hawaii.
    I have studied the history of Hawaii and am aware of how white people from the states horribly treated the native people of Hawaii, and I am terribly sorry about that.
    I have heard that locals don't care for caucasion people due to the over crowding of their land and other things. Is this true?
    Ive heard things like haole go home? and why are you here?
    Are these true?
    Can you guys confirm your exsperiences or how you feel about this subject.?
    I dont mean to anger anyone, I would just like a first hand response from individuals who actually live in Hawaii. thank you

Re: How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Originally posted by meanoharm
    or new comers that move from the states to Hawaii. (...)
    I have studied the history of Hawaii and am aware of how white people from the states (...)
    To avoid offending anyone, the very first thing you've gotta learn is that Hawai`i IS one of the "states". You'll want to perhaps use the word "mainland" instead.
    I'm sure others will have time to give you lengthier answers than this but the bottom line is: yes, due to already overcrowded conditions and other factors such as mainlanders usually feeling they know more than locals, it takes a while for newcomers to be welcomed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I would say that you have friendly people and unpleasant people wherever you go. It's the attitude and openness you bring with you that will dictate your experience.

You might hear "Haole Go Home!" You might also find a welcoming family, great friends, and an unmatched, diverse, wonderful mix of cultures that'll enrich and change your life.

My primary recommendations would be to research, research, research before even thinking about getting on a plane, make a long, tourist-schtick-free visit or two, and have as many ducks in a row beforehand as possible (housing, job, professional and personal network). For some, the culture shock is nearly fatal, and the cost of living can finish you off!

Of course, many people have shown up, sight unseen, and done quite well. (My wife, for example!) But as the odds may be against you, it pays to really know what you're getting into. The worst thing you can do is arrive without a plan, end up broke and on the street, unable to even afford a return flight and becoming a burden on an already overwhelmed system.

Comment

Originally posted by meanoharm
        I have heard that locals don't care for caucasion people due to the over crowding of their land and other things. Is this true?
        Ive heard things like haole go home? and why are you here?
        Are these true?
        Can you guys confirm your exsperiences or how you feel about this subject.?

Try search through H.T. You will find many answers to your queries.
        Here are a few threads to start with...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=22385

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5090

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2529

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=3077

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2662

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=290
        Last edited by kimo55; June 27, 2005, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          To avoid offending anyone, the very first thing you've gotta learn is that Hawai`i IS one of the "states". You'll want to perhaps use the word "mainland" instead.
          I dunno about that. Last year I said:

When I first left the islands to attend college in California, I had a big Hawai'i chip on my shoulder, and made it a point to correct people who said things like "going back to the States" when they meant "the mainland", or those annoying mail order policies that categorized Hawaiian shipments as "international" deliveries.

But as time went on, I realized that Hawai'i really is very different from "the mainland". In fact I rarely say "the mainland" any more when referring to the USA's North American states; instead I just say "America". Because America isn't Hawaii's main land. And because Hawai'i is not America the way the rest of the USA is America. Without getting too much into sovereignty issues, we really are like a different country in almost every way.
          So I don't blame people for saying "the states" when they mean America. Hawai'i is about as American as Gibraltar is British.

Comment

I would like to say thank you for replying to my question.
            I have researched the history of Hawaii and in a way this is getting a good understanding to how local individuals percieve things.
            I did not mean to offend anyone by naming the mainland, North American states, or America or how you would like to refer it as, as "the states."
            Now I know to refer North America as the mainland. thanks
            I am just curious about the culture and way of life.

I find cultures from Hawaii, Somao, New Zealand and other Polynesian cultures interesting.
            I do feel as though I am walking on egg shells in a way. Meaning I have to be very specific and careful with how I word things.
            I dont mean any harm I would just like to learn.
            I would appeciate anyone elses input on the subject. thanks
            Last edited by meanoharm; June 27, 2005, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I'm a haole raised in Hawai'i. I always loved the island music and ladies. Had some difficulties and heard all those "lines". All through school time Lincoln, Stevenson and Roosevelt I got into fights trying to stand up for my rights. I didn't understand why I couldn't play ukulele with the boys. Yes, I did learn to play. Not as good as Isreal or Jake though. I always felt, "Hey I didn't do what happened so long ago" But now as an adult I truly can understand and feel sorry for the situation for the Hawai'ians. While I'm just trying to survive. I don't have any "special" programs to learn a trade or buy a house so am just getting by like most of the residents of Hawai'i. I get along with everyone now and I think that has to do with truly caring for them along with sharing what God has given me. Aloha is a way of life.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

thanks buddy2 i appreciate it.
                I am a huge believer in respect, and when i travel or am in a new environment I try to learn from the individuals who are most familiar from the area.
                From researching the history of Hawaii I am aware of the Bayonet Constitution and the bad impressions that some cacausion travelors make.
                The way the American Gov't stripped the Hawaiin monarchy of its authority on its own land is totally wrong and I am ashamed to hear that the US govt did that.
                I would like to know that if someone as myself who is caucasion, respectful, listens and thinks before speaking would do in an environment like the one in Hawaii?
                I know that everywhere you go in the world, there are friendly people and there are jerks.
                I think I understand the hostility that Hawaiins may have towards caucasions, I see it as the caucausions forced the Hawaiin culture to give up there land and way of life which they had been living for centuries, so that the caucasion could reep the benifits of Hawaiis location(military use), economic purposes(trades such as sugar), and the land(obviously it is very beautiful)
                Is my information wrong? if it is please correct me, thanks

Comment

Hello or Aloha
                  I've been reading a lot of the threads hear. I read quite a bit on some of the problems between whites and hawaiians and maybe a couple of other races and, I'm wondering, how do hawaiians accept african americans. Are there many in Hawaii? I've been studying the history of Hawaii and some of the culture. One of the things I read about in my study about Hawaii is that the people over there are serious about Ohana which to my understanding means family and how the Hawaiian people are so welcoming. Is this really true? I talked to a couple of people and asked them how are blacks treated over there. If they are accepted whether living or visiting. Maybe some others can give me some feedback.

Peace and Goodwill to All
                  www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

There aren't too many blacks in Hawaii and as a consequence many here are ignorant about blacks. I remember a few years ago a high school was sued for putting an insulting caption on a picture of black students in their yearbook. I don't remember exactly what it said but it had to do with watermelon and fried chicken. Many locals also freely use the "N" word.

There has also been cases where blacks have sued hotels and and other establishments for discrimination. The latest being the former Washington DC police chief (Moose) sueing a hotel.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paul]There aren't too many blacks in Hawaii and as a consequence many here are ignorant about blacks.[/QUOTE=Paul]

Aunty Lynn says: eh, das not nice. we are a state that have the most mixed cultural backrounds in the America....and we are not ignorant about blacks!

Originally posted by Paul
                      There has also been cases where blacks have sued hotels and and other establishments for discrimination. The latest being the former Washington DC police chief (Moose) sueing a hotel.
                      wat has this got to do in how we feel about others coming to live here in Hawai'i?

get a grip.
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 28, 2005, 12:39 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        wat has this got to do in how we feel about others coming to live here in Hawai'i?

get a grip.
                        I was just responding to Junebloom. She asked how Hawaiians feel about African Americans. I didn't mean to anger anyone and I myself never use the N word. Those incidents I described really did happen.

Aunty Lynn says: eh, das not nice. we are a state that have the most mixed cultural backrounds in the America....and we are not ignorant about blacks!
                        What has nice got to do with it? Racism is UGLY. We may be the most mixed but there still aren't that many blacks here. You've never heard locals use the "N" word?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

get a grip.

chill, girl. let people discuss.

As far as African Americans, here, they are limited in number relatively, but as we have...what's that term; a "racial metling pot", they are seen as no different, no better or worse than any other race. best thing; judge people as individuals, not by their race , religion, dress style, sexual preference...
                          Last edited by kimo55; June 28, 2005, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by junebloom
                            I'm wondering, how do hawaiians accept african americans. Are there many in Hawaii?
                            There aren't many, but African Americans have been in the islands almost as long as white Americans have. UH professor Kathryn Waddell Takara is in the middle of writing a book, Shades of Darkness in Paradise, on the history of African Americans in Hawai'i. (I got the title from the "current projects" section of her CV at her web site.) Considering her own history and experience, it should be an interesting read.

Comment

Hey everyone,
                              I'm sorry for pissing some of you off which was not my intention. Read the following article and tell me it's not true. We may dismiss it as ignorance but it's still racism.

Isles turn blind eye to racism, some say

Comment

Working...
                              X