Coming Up on PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Up on PBS

i don't have any relationship with pbs but i did wanna pass these notes on in case any of interests you. pbs puts out good stuff but i often miss it cuz i didn't even know what was around the bend:

The New Heroes

Tuesday, June 28 at 8 and 9 p.m.
    THE NEW HEROES tells the dramatic stories of 14 daring social entrepreneurs who are undaunted by the chronic challenges of poverty, illness, unemployment, violence and ignorance they see in the world around
    them. With a revolutionary passion for transforming society, brilliant insights to achieve fundamental change and an unstoppable will to overcome
    obstacles that preserve the status quo, these individuals tackle the most intractable social problems and achieve extraordinary success.

“Dreams of Sanctuary” (8 p.m.) – The first episode travels around the world to profile social entrepreneurs who are helping the desperate, the destitute and the determined to make a new beginning. In Africa, Moses
    Zulu has created a home and school for AIDS orphans and other children in Zambia to nurture their growth into productive adults. In India, Kailash Satyarthi rescues brutally enslaved children in daring and dangerous
    raids, and has a radical vision to put an end to the market for products made with forced child labor. In San Francisco, former drug addicts and criminals find training, employment and encouragement through Delancey
    Street, which runs a restaurant, a moving company and other businesses to provide the first stable step to a new life.

“Technology of Freedom” (9 p.m.) – Technology that transforms life is often out of reach of the impoverished in the undeveloped world. The second episode explores the ethics and work of innovative “compassionate
    capitalists,” who have created self-sustaining business enterprises that are designed to maximize human benefit, not profit. Applying the segmented
    labor process of a fast food restaurant to what is normally routine eye surgery in the Western world, an Indian doctor and American businessman have together created a healthcare and business model that provides
    200,000 cataract surgeries a year to prevent unnecessary blindness. Recognizing that poor irrigation was diminishing the fertility of land in Kenya, the founders of ApproTEC invented a manually operated low-cost
    water pump that can double the yield of a small farm.

Roadtrip Nation
    Saturdays, beginning July 2 at 7:30 p.m.
    ROADTRIP NATION maintains the quest to empower college students and
    anyone
    seeking their true calling by providing some surprising answers to the
    age-old question, “What do you want to do with your life?” The series
    follows three green RVs that are driven by college students as they
    travel
    across the U.S. interviewing leaders including; an astrophysicist for
    NASA, editors of national publication, the executive director of
    Greenpeace USA, Hugh Hefner, the park superintendent of Mt. Rushmore, a food critic and many others

Episode 1 – Meet the teams and watch insightful interviews in Southern California with the CEO & co-founder of Volcom Clothing and a music director who is credited for the American radio premiere of Moby and Garbage.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: coming up on pbs

You can get a weekly PBS preview in e-mail; sign up here.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

if you missed tonight's episode of new heros, you missed a pretty inspiring program. those guys have more balls in their little pinky than i have in my entire body.

showtimes for the other episodes can be found here
      http://www.pbs.org/opb/thenewheroes/about/schedule.html

and for a general overview, here
      http://www.pbs.org/opb/thenewheroes/
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

A seemingly apropos to many topics on this forum the new series on PBS "Guns, Germs and Steel" asks questions like:

# Why were Europeans the ones to conquer so much of our planet?
        # Why didn't the Chinese, or the Inca, become masters of the globe instead?
        # Why did cities first evolve in the Middle East?
        # Why did farming never emerge in Australia?
        # And why are the tropics now the capital of global poverty?

The series based on the book was, 'Inspired by a question put to him on the island of Papua New Guinea more than thirty years ago, Diamond embarks on a world-wide quest to understand the roots of global inequality. “Why is it that you white people developed so much cargo, but we black people had little cargo of our own?”'

Anyway, might be interesting for those Anthopology buffs.

P.S. The PBS website says Guns, Germs and Steel screens across the country on PBS from July 11 for three weeks on Monday nights at 11pm in most cities.
        Last edited by DaveNSoKona; July 13, 2005, 08:55 AM.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

thanks for the head's up, dave. sounds really interesting!

for those who want to read a little more about it, check out this site:

http://www.pbs.org/gunsgermssteel/

Comment

coming up on pbs: guns, germs and steel

dave, thanks for the head's up. watched episode one last week and it was really interesting. for those who wanna catch the next one, it'll be on monday night at 10 pm:

In Part 2 (of three), Jared Diamond explores reasons why Spanish Conquistadors conquered the Incas in 1532 “instead of the other way around.”

(how goes the sale of your place? looks super beautiful!)

Comment

HEART: this thursday

don't know if you like their music (i do) but here's a head's up:

Soundstage
              Thursday, July 28 at 10 p.m.
              Repeats on Saturday, July 30 at 8 p.m.
              “Heart (Part 1)” – Few rock bands can claim a successful three decade-spanning career; the feat is even more impressive for women-fronted rock bands. Often hailed as the “female Led Zeppelin,” Heart dominated
              the classic rock realm with their debut album, 1975’s Dreamboat Annie, hitting platinum status. Songs like “Crazy On You” and “Magic Man” from the debut,
              as well as Little Queen’s “Barracuda” remain rock staples today.

enjoy....

Comment

guns, germs and steel

the third part in this series airs tonight...

Guns, Germs, and Steel: A National Geographic Presentation Monday, July 25 at 10 p.m.
                Repeats on Saturday, July 30 at 9 p.m.
                “Haves and Have-nots” – The third episode examines the development and colonization of Africa by South Africans and Europeans, and explains why geography is still a factor in forming the divide between those with money
                and resources and those without. End of series.

Comment

Re: HEART: this thursday

Originally posted by shaveice
                  don't know if you like their music (i do) but here's a head's up:

Soundstage
                  Thursday, July 28 at 10 p.m.
                  Repeats on Saturday, July 30 at 8 p.m.
                  “Heart (Part 1)” – Few rock bands can claim a successful three decade-spanning career; the feat is even more impressive for women-fronted rock bands. Often hailed as the “female Led Zeppelin,” Heart dominated
                  the classic rock realm with their debut album, 1975’s Dreamboat Annie, hitting platinum status. Songs like “Crazy On You” and “Magic Man” from the debut,
                  as well as Little Queen’s “Barracuda” remain rock staples today.

enjoy....
                  I like Heart and will try to watch that. But the "female Led Zeppelin"? Soundwise, maybe. But lyrically, I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    I like Heart and will try to watch that. But the "female Led Zeppelin"? Soundwise, maybe. But lyrically, I don't think so!

even soundwise. Not even close.

Does that make Led Zeppelin the "male Heart"!?

why compare at all?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      even soundwise. Not even close.

Does that make Led Zeppelin the "male Heart"!?

why compare at all?
                      I can imagine Bob filling in nicely for Ann if she happened to call in sick. He might be laughing his butt off singing those songs but he could fake it.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        I can imagine Bob filling in nicely for Ann if she happened to call in sick. He might be laughing his butt off singing those songs but he could fake it.

I dunno; I don't think Robbaht would wanna stoop.

No... they covered some o zep's stuff. that is when the audience really goes wild.
                        they can do his stuff, but da king won't denegrate hisself...
                        Last edited by kimo55; July 25, 2005, 10:24 PM.

Comment

hey cezanne and kimo, oh yeah. i totally agree with your comments about the little blurb that i got in my email about the heart show. i guess the writer felt like going over the top!

Comment

ya know they outta stand on their own... rather than be compared, oranges to unripe tangerines...
                            cuz heart was influential and had staying power.
                            Barracuda was a rock anthem for some o us back then, but of course, nothing compares to the hammer of the gods and their prolific catalog.

I do think it's quite cool cameron crowe is married to da cutest of the heart girls.

Comment

since you mentioned crowe, thought i'd throw in this tidbit:

"He began his writing career as a 15-year old highschool student, with articles on music submitted to Rolling Stone magazine, and only a few years later had his first script, for Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982). And this movie was important for more than his career - his future wife Nancy Wilson had a small role in the film....."

(by the way, fast times is one of my all time favorite movies. sean pean was perfection as spicoli and phobe cates was breathtaking! so many classic scenes and lines from that movie...)

Comment

Working...
                              X