X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH-Hilo Student Government Controversy

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local04.txt

Excerpt:

Avery believes he's being targeted because he asks critical questions about UHHSA proposals and is frequently opposed to its majority positions. He described the student government as "very local-oriented ... .They're all buddies." The only other Global Hope-connected student senator, Randy Rambo, resigned from UHHSA on May 24.

According to Avery's account of the May 26 UHHSA meeting, "I had a few issues ... . They didn't care about any of them." After the formal meeting was adjourned, six UHHSA members and Kusano stayed in the room to keep talking. When Avery suggested that the student government is not held in such high regard, and criticized the UHHSA polo shirts that student senators are required to wear to meetings, Melendez became agitated.

"It became heated," Avery said, noting Melendez was passionate about UHHSA and her polo shirt. "Good for you," he responded, when Melendez stood and made an obscene gesture toward him. Avery requested she do it again and grabbed his camera. "She ran around the table and attacked me," he said. "I stood up and defended my camera with my hands.

"She really freaked," he said. "She punched me on both shoulders and on the jaw with her clenched fist." The digital camera was knocked to the floor and broken. Avery said he sought help from Kusano in calling campus security but she refused. Avery said he addressed her as "Aunty," a commonly used title for her among student senators, but that Kusano replied coldly, "I'm not your aunty."

Kusano and all the remaining UHHSA members except Avery left before police and campus security arrived, Avery said. He filed complaints later with Jim Mellon, UHH director of student activities, and with Keith Miser, vice chancellor of student affairs. Neither Mellon nor Miser would confirm that the complaints were filed, however, citing privacy laws. Kusano declined to comment.

Re: UH-Hilo Student Government Controversy

I'm sure Pzarq will have more to say about this than I will, since he worked much more closely with Kusano and Okinaka than I (thankfully) ever had to. I was part of the whole UH-Hilo Campus Center culture for a year and a half, and have to say that it's easy to see how this kind of thing could happen. I'm sure it's happened before. There is a sort of incestuous relationship up there, and UHHSA has always seemed especially inbred. Of course politics play a part in what everyone's doing up there--that's the name of the game. When someone gets elected to UHHSA and doesn't play the way the veterans play, he or she is going to have a difficult time and there is going to be animosity. It really goes to show you, though, how bizarre the culture is in Campus Center. I'd expect members of an elected board to understand that disagreements are part of the deal and that people will play at politics when these disagreements come up. It's quite revealing that Nonaka refers to Melendez as a "fifty-year-old woman" and Avery as "far-left." He uses one description as a defense and one as an accusation, when all either should be is part of the way a working body understands itself and works through its objectives.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Welcome to Hilo!

It's that old boy network alive and well.

But just reading the story in the Hilo Tribune, one can also surmise that Avery wasn't that all the victim either but technically he didn't deserve to get punched out.

One thing I've noticed about East Hawaii is the culture clash among new students from the mainland and the existing "local" infrastructure that prevails everywhere here on this island. It's too bad because UH Hilo is such a nice campus compared to UH Manoa for this kind of "localism" to occur.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

From page A6 of the Friday, 1 July 2005 issue of the Hawaii Tribune-Herald

UHHSA Drama

I would like to thank Hunter Bishop for his article appearing last Sunday, "Pugilist politics at UHH."

I believe the assault I experienced bu the student body president has brought light to a murky student government.

Over the past year I have witnessed many instances of a student government disconnected from those they are supposed to represent. UHHSA (UHH student government) has repeatedly acted against the students' best interest in order to further a misguided agenda. I believe my active interest in promoting a representative student government ultimately led to my assault by the student body president on May 26. The president has since resigned.

I also believe it is beyond coincidence that the faculty adviser to UHHSA is also an East Hawaii adviser to Linda Lingle. UHHSA has repeatedly demonstrated its support for the 128 percent tuition increase, while it has been demonstrated that 87 percent of the student body oppose it. Linda Lingle has also demonstrated strong support for the tuition increase.

Since being elected to office, tensions have been steadily increasing--leading to the assault. My involvement in UHHSA and constant questioning of its policies has impeded the agenda held by many UHHSA members and the adviser.

Due to my convictions I was assaulted, my property damaged and I was falsely accused in an attempt to silence my voice. This is unacceptable in a democratic form of government. I believe that if good government is wanted on a large scale, it must be actualized on a smaller one. This incident has demonstrated that if a functional democratic government is required it must be demanded, regardless of the cost.

Justin Avery
        Senator, College of Arts and Science, UHH

The 2005 UHHSA Election Results
        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/news/kekal...AElections.php
        Last edited by BKHale2007; July 1, 2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Gee, this little brouhaha sounds like a microcosm of what's going on in politics nationally! Granted, most of the attacks in Washington, DC do not involve fisticuffs or any physical violence, but the verbal attacks and slurs of both major parties against each other is a sign that the art of diplomacy (talking to resolve disputes) has fallen by the wayside. There no longer is any place for working towards a compromise; it's all or nothing, and it better be "my" all and not yours! I guess we should be grateful there is still a scintilla of decorum in the hallowed halls of Congress...unlike Korea, where punching your opponent is de riguer.

Maybe the UHHSA leaders need a refresher course on Robert's Rules of Order.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I attended all of the UHHSA meetings leading up to the meeting during which Justin was punched out by Ipo. I could see the tensions mounting, but I simply can't accept Justin's refusal to accept any responsibility for the hostilities. He refused to compromise, even when his "political opponents" gave an inch. That said, there's never any reason for physical violence as a means to a political end!

There were a few parts of his letter that I have to question:

Over the past year I have witnessed many instances of a student government disconnected from those they are supposed to represent. UHHSA (UHH student government) has repeatedly acted against the students' best interest in order to further a misguided agenda.
            Yeah, and then they all got re-elected. So much for that theory...

[quote] I believe my active interest in promoting a representative student government ultimately led to my assault by the student body president on May 26. The president has since resigned.[quote]
            Anyone who attended the UHHSA meetings realizes that Justin was doing his best to be an aggitator. He would bring up some good ideas that would get discussed and sent to committee - which is the normal procuedure. He would also bring up ideas that were dismissed because they were flawed or poorly conceived. When it was explained why those ideas could not be implimented, he would repeat his same mantra and refuse to give it up. This got frustrating for all of the Senators. Additionally, he refused to follow Robert's Rules, which, more than anything else, is what seemed to annoy Ipo the most. Go figure.

I also believe it is beyond coincidence that the faculty adviser to UHHSA is also an East Hawaii adviser to Linda Lingle.
            As has been pointed out to Justin on numerous occassions by numerous people, there is no conflict with Okinaka in these two positions. As the Governor's advisor, Okinaka serves on a board that gathers ideas from the community and passes them to the governor. This is a one way train; Lingle does not give them advise and orders. On top of that, Okinaka doesn't give orders to UHHSA. His approach is probably more hands on than I care for from an advisor, and he has more power in UHHSA than he will ever admit. But that doesn't mean there's some sort of Republican conflict. That being said, I don't care for Okinaka as an advisor. I'm not saying any of this to defend him, but just to point out that Justin will go out of his way to make a fallacious point if he thinks it will help him reach his goal (sound familiar?).

UHHSA has repeatedly demonstrated its support for the 128 percent tuition increase, while it has been demonstrated that 87 percent of the student body oppose it.
            Justin and his Global Hope pals administered a pen-and-paper survey, handpicking respondents who they thought would answer favorably (I walked by 4 times and was never asked to fill out the survey). The survey wouldn't hold up to any kind of scientific validity. One political science professor looked at it and was surprised that anyone took the survey seriously.

Since being elected to office, tensions have been steadily increasing--leading to the assault. My involvement in UHHSA and constant questioning of its policies has impeded the agenda held by many UHHSA members and the adviser.
            Well, this just makes it sound like they are mobsters or something. Justin was trying to carry on problems where none existed in the first place. What do you expect?

Due to my convictions I was assaulted, my property damaged and I was falsely accused in an attempt to silence my voice. This is unacceptable in a democratic form of government. I believe that if good government is wanted on a large scale, it must be actualized on a smaller one. This incident has demonstrated that if a functional democratic government is required it must be demanded, regardless of the cost.
            Well, he's right here. I just wish he would take his share of the blame for escalating the "tensions".

All of this, however, is a microcosm of the larger fight between Global Hope and the College Republicans. Both are being extraordinarily childish. Over the last two years the situation has gotten progressively worse, and it doesn't look to get any better from here.

Thats my two cents or more from a close observer.

gravedigger

Comment

All of this, however, is a microcosm of the larger fight between Global Hope and the College Republicans. --gravedigger

Indeed. Below is an excerpt from an article, "UH Hilo Leftist 'Harassment' Leads to Scuffle, Change of Leaders" in the July 7 Hawaii Free Press.:
              This latest turmoil at UH Hilo comes after what some student leaders are calling a one year campaign of harassment by supporters of the Global Hope Vlub against College Republicans and other students, professors and administrators who do not support Global Hope's claim to be the "only activist group on campus."...

Other incidents have included the crashing of a College Republican organizational meeting in August, 2004, the defacing of campus billboards and what some describe as Avery's penchant to jump out at his opponents and snap a photo of them with his ever-present digital camera....

Global Hope has posted leaflets calling its opponents "liars" and gay-baiting them by comparing them to Jeff Gannon-a reporter whose night job as a gay prostitute led to his ouster from the White House press corps earlier this year.

UH Hilo student newspaper, Ke Kalahea, pulled its entire May 4 edition after a front page article critical of Global Hope appeared. The incident is written up in a short article in the July 1 Chronicle of Higher Education....
              Last edited by BKHale2007; July 7, 2005, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Does anyone remember about 1996 - 1997 when HawCC's Student Government got Exposed...and then in return the Student Government attempted to Impeach one of the senators for something that was totally unrelated????

In 1996... the Hawaii Community College Student Government Advisor was a man Named James Mimaki. At the time he was the HawCC Student Governor Advisor... He was also at the time Patsy Minks Major Fundraiser on the Big Island.

At the beginning of the school year.... he convinced the Student Government to vote in Favor of Passing $5000.00 To Patsy Minks Election Campaign. (this was done w/out a propper quorum... however he still was able to get the funds to his campaign people)

This money was the Students Money and should not have been spent on something like this.... as not all students do not support one party or another.

When the Student Senator was about to bust the Student Govt for there selfish Self serving acts that the Student Government was doing... The advisor found out something manini that the student senator did...(ie; smoked pakalolo) and in turn, turned him into the Schools administration for violating the Student Conduct Code (there stance was that a Student Senator should not Smoke Pot and that the Senator was putting the College's Name at Risk)

After almost a half a year of pressure by the Students of Hawaii Community College... Many of the Senators and even the Vice President Stepped down....

On a strange side note.... the President of Global Hope at the time... then became the President of Hawaii Community Colleges ASACC the following year and there were no problems there after......

ALSO... Does anyone from UH Hilo or HawCC remember the $25,000.00 that was suppose to appropriated for a College Radiio Station?????? Whatever happened to that money??????

Just a few things that seem out of place....

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  Does anyone remember about 1996 - 1997 when HawCC's Student Government got Exposed...and then in return the Student Government attempted to Impeach one of the senators for something that was totally unrelated????

In 1996... the Hawaii Community College Student Government Advisor was a man Named James Mimaki. At the time he was the HawCC Student Governor Advisor... He was also at the time Patsy Minks Major Fundraiser on the Big Island.

At the beginning of the school year.... he convinced the Student Government to vote in Favor of Passing $5000.00 To Patsy Minks Election Campaign. (this was done w/out a propper quorum... however he still was able to get the funds to his campaign people)

This money was the Students Money and should not have been spent on something like this.... as not all students do not support one party or another.

When the Student Senator was about to bust the Student Govt for there selfish Self serving acts that the Student Government was doing... The advisor found out something manini that the student senator did...(ie; smoked pakalolo) and in turn, turned him into the Schools administration for violating the Student Conduct Code (there stance was that a Student Senator should not Smoke Pot and that the Senator was putting the College's Name at Risk)

After almost a half a year of pressure by the Students of Hawaii Community College... Many of the Senators and even the Vice President Stepped down....

On a strange side note.... the President of Global Hope at the time... then became the President of Hawaii Community Colleges ASACC the following year and there were no problems there after......

ALSO... Does anyone from UH Hilo or HawCC remember the $25,000.00 that was suppose to appropriated for a College Radiio Station?????? Whatever happened to that money??????

Just a few things that seem out of place....
                  Pzarquon... you were the Editor at Ke Kalahea just a year before this incident happened....

You know anything about this????

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Gee, this little brouhaha sounds like a microcosm of what's going on in politics nationally! Granted, most of the attacks in Washington, DC do not involve fisticuffs or any physical violence, but the verbal attacks and slurs of both major parties against each other is a sign that the art of diplomacy (talking to resolve disputes) has fallen by the wayside. There no longer is any place for working towards a compromise; it's all or nothing, and it better be "my" all and not yours! I guess we should be grateful there is still a scintilla of decorum in the hallowed halls of Congress...unlike Korea, where punching your opponent is de riguer.

Maybe the UHHSA leaders need a refresher course on Robert's Rules of Order.

Miulang
                    Eh Miulang...maybe more like Auntie's Rules of Order...Rule #1: Dis me and I going slap you silly.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Haha! Eida dat, or really fight (flying fists and all) like they do in the S. Korean legislature! I wonder if these so-called college leaders end up becoming the crooked politicians we all want to lynch?

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Haha! Eida dat, or really fight (flying fists and all) like they do in the S. Korean legislature! I wonder if these so-called college leaders end up becoming the crooked politicians we all want to lynch?

Miulang
                        Actually, that student senator that was about to bust the government... Ended up working for the Department of Educations Administration... lmao.

Comment

Where did the original money that got appropriated for this project go?

The UHHilo and HawCC Student Governments combined to appropriate $25,000 each from the students of both HawCC and UHHilo to build and or start up a radio station back in 96/97..... I'd like to know where this $50,000 went.... (I was one of the Student Senators who voted so yes I do know this to be fact.... )

Recently read somewhere that the UHHilo and HawCC have some sort of a college radio station.... they finally got some sort of low frequency station that reaches down to banyan drive.... but the frequency is so low it only goes out about 2 miles max from campus from what I've heard.

It's stationed out of a small old dorm room located next to HAWCC.

Started out as an internet project and then actually was able to obtain a radio frequency....

$50,000.00 for this??? Someone at UHHILO or HawCC needs to stand up for your student money

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            Pzarquon... you were the Editor at Ke Kalahea just a year before this incident happened....

You know anything about this????
                            I have to echo this sentiment as a close friend of mine made this very point. C’mon Pzarquon. Too many people know you are in a position to say something of substance on this.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                              I have to echo this sentiment as a close friend of mine made this very point. C’mon Pzarquon. Too many people know you are in a position to say something of substance on this.
                              On what? The Avery incident? The radio station? Or life on the second floor in general at UHH? I'm not familiar with either case, but I definitely concur with Scrivener that all the offices there tended to mingle and mix and get entangled, and that it all seemed about as separated from the rest of the campus at times as did the folks at UHM Campus Center from the Manoa campus (or the State Capitol from the rest of the state for that matter)... which is to say, no less internally obsessed our out of touch than any supposedly representative body. Just on a more concentrated scale, since this is Hilo we're talking about.

Kusano was definitely more hands-on than I'd expect most administrative staff to be, but I was probably not her favorite tenant, so our interaction was cordial but minimal. I certainly produced my share of headaches. As for Okinaka, he was technically the newspaper's advisor at the time, but was very hands-off, and from my point of view simply a nice fellow. I benefitted more from the few interactions I had with Hunter Bishop or the Hilo Tribune Herald folks.

Frankly, I came out of nowhere mid-term, ended up helming Ke Kalahea for just one year (though I'm perhaps excessively proud of how the paper turned out during our tenure), then left again... so I was, perhaps fortunately, oblivious to most of the politics and machinations going on. I might have felt differently had I worked more closely with the administration (but that's not neccessarily the objective of a journalist!) or stayed longer, but for the most part the campus shenanigans didn't seem any more bizarre than anywhere else, and academically and philosophically I think very highly of the school.

Comment

Working...
                              X