Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the Queen Theater close?

I was watching a episode of Magnum PI and even though they said they
    were in Waikiki, it was Kaimuki and the old Queen Theater was visible across the street. The structure is still intact on Wai'alae Ave. I was curious when it closed down.

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Re: When did the Queen Theater close?

While I didn't go into it I do remember it was running in the summer of 1980 (and with that the Kaimuki theater was still running then).

And then again Magnum PI was during the mid-1980's.

Comment

Oh that old theater. Musta been in the mid to late 70's. I remember they were showing X-rated movies before shutting it's doors to the public. I think it's being rented out for storage right now. When I was keiki time back in the 60's both theaters (including Kaimuki) recommended wearing covered footwear (shoes) as the rats would nibble on your toes during the movies
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This particular episode of Magnum PI was filmed in 1981. The show aired from 1980-1988 on CBS.

I swore I saw the Queen Theater in an episode of Jake & The Fatman once and that was circa 1989. So it could have been open as late as 1989.

KalihiBoy

Comment

the queen theater has long been a highly-prized venue for artistic types...the cinema pardise guys had tried to woo the owner back when cinema paradise was the honolulu underground film festival...didn't happen then, and it's not happening now...it's hard to tell why the old man (or his reps) sit on the property in such a surrealistically lucrative real estate market...who knows, i haven't been by in a while...hell, it could be a starbucks by now, as there is an indie coffee shop across the street...

by the way, does anyone remember the kick-ass punk rock shows that once went down at the queen theater?
          Last edited by jdub; June 29, 2005, 10:48 PM.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

I noticed on that episode that the 7-11 on the corner of Sierra and Wai'alae Ave
            is still there all these years later. I love to see old shows like 5-0 and Magnum and see what is either missing from back then or more importantly what still exists from back then!

Anyone remember the theaters on Kuhio? I was watching an old video that had Kamasami Kong and Frank B. Shaner hosting some pinball tournament there from 1981.

BTW-Where was the Kaimuki Theater located?

KalihiBoy

Comment

The Kaimukī Theater was located where 3660 On The Rise is now. I remember going there to see Jaws back in, what was it, 1977?

Comment

hmmm das da queen theater by bank of hawaii eh? get da parking lot on da sidestreet. yah in da early 90s i was frequenting da chinese videogame store in da same bldg. da theater was closed way before dat.
                Reggie aka pinakboy
                Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                Recipe Tube TV!
                Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

>>>The queen theater has long been a highly-prized venue for artistic types<<<

I always wish something good would come of that place. Never saw a punk show there, although I've heard legends of them. It would be a great place for shows and movies.

I suppose we can always hope and dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    The Kaimukī Theater was located where 3660 On The Rise is now. I remember going there to see Jaws back in, what was it, 1977?

Jaws was released in the Summer of 1975. This year marks that movie's 30th anniversary. It could be that by the time it got to the Kaimuki Theater it may have been on its second run or something. I initially saw that movie at the Waikiki Twins.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

1975 it was. Thanks Mel.

Comment

I remember going to see cheap horror movies(double features) at the Kaimuki Theater with my brother in the early 80s. The only better setting for horror movies was the old Waialae Drive-In next to the cemetery(I even saw Poltergeist there, which was very appropriate!) I seem to recall the Queen Theater was in operation about that time too and closed when I was in HS, maybe 1983-84?

Comment

When I get rich I plan to buy the queen theater and change it into an awesome club with a vintage movie theater layout.
                          'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

The last movie ever saw at Kaimuki Theater was a cheapo 16mm surf movie called Hot Lips and Inner Tubes in 1977. Prior to that I saw Kikaida: The Movie. What a rip off that was, basically what two tv shows run back to back and they weren't even unseen episodes either!

I remember when Queen Theater ran some X-Rated cartoon flick called Felix something or other.

Comment

Originally posted by bitachu
                              When I get rich I plan to buy the queen theater and change it into an awesome club with a vintage movie theater layout.
                              Good luck! with the limited parking available it'll be tough enough just to get people to park. The muni parking lot across the street is always jam packed on weekends already! I think you'd get a lot of NIMBYism if you tried to open up a club there.

Actually if you tore down the building and simply built a pay parking lot I think you'd make a lot more money since parking is already a premium in that area.

Comment

Working...
                              X