Hawaii Pacific University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Pacific University

Hey! I am moving to Honolulu this summer to attend HPU's downtown campus for a degree in International Studies and Japanese language. Can any current or former students tell me about the College of International Studies or the Foreign languages classes.
    Thanks!

Re: Hawaii Pacific University

The good news is I'm a 1979 graduate of HPU (when it was HPC). The bad news is that was long before it started all the undergrad degree programs it has now, so I can't help you much. I could make it worse and tell you what I paid per semester for tuition, but I'll refrain.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I'm afraid I can't offer much specific insight, either, but I can say that when I used to help filter intern applications at a multinational nonprofit, we found hands down that students from HPU were the best of the bunch. UH students, my alma mater, were almost universally impossible to work with.

Of course, the grading might be different were we in another line of business. I'm certain in some circles, people with a global, non-Hawaii-centric view are a liability!

Of course, you probably get what you pay for... HPU isn't exactly a cheap school, and that's observable somewhat in the demographics (finance wise) of its student body. There are a lot of scholarships and even government backed students, but as a whole, they don't exactly have a lot of riff raff... for better and worse.

Comment

my ex just graduated from HPU in may...she studied sociology, but i do know that she loved it...now she's up to her arse in student loan debt and has to move away...i'll bet that you'll find HPU to be a fine institution...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

I went to HPU about 4 years ago. After my first year I transferred to UH.
          If you want to study International studies and Japanese Language the programs offered by East/West at UH are by far the best in the world.
          As for everything else, HPU has the downtown campus which isn't really a campus so much as a bunch of classrooms in a business district. HPU's extracurriculars are also pretty sad.
          UH has a real campus with a lot of support structure although things tend to be a lot more beaurocratic. UH has its own radio station and independently student-run daily newspaper (as opposed to a public relations piece who's content is dictated by the President).
          It depends on what you're looking for. Make sure you check out both because they both have a lot to offer.

Comment

Working...
          X