Earth Facts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Facts...

It totally amazes me how we're flying through space at (?) speed, spinning around, tilted and in an orbit while not even feeling it ! What intrigues you about our home?
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Earth Facts...

Momentum & gravity and the laws of physics.

Even more mysterious:

Why does the hair on your arm stop growing but the hair on your head or face, if you have any, doesn't stop growing?

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

It amazes me that the Earth is livable. The more the astronomers find out about other planets, the more you realize that there are a million ways to be too hot, too cold, etc. and apparently only one way to be juuuust riiight. Wow.

Comment

Not an earth fact but: why is it that I can take a cold shower at the beach no problem... but the thought of taking a cold shower at home terrifies me...hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          The more the astronomers find out about other planets
          Or some planets where the year is about 3 to 4 days long.

Comment

How about... If we didn't have the moon orbiting, the oceans wouldn't have tides or currents. Which would leave them stangnant, not as full of life and worse of all... NO SURF!

Comment

Ocean currents are driven by changes in temperature. Tides on the other hand are influenced by the pull of gravity from the moon and the sun, so with the moon not being there you will still have the tidal changes from the sun's influence but not as much of a difference between the low and high tides.

Surf on the other hand is mostly driven by the weather and that too is based on the temperature changes due to the sun's warming of the oceans.

I will grant you if the moon was never up there circling the Earth life here would be different in many ways, but surfing would still be the same.

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

wanna know why theeeee earf is perfect cuz god made it... duuuuuuuuuuuuuh....

just kidddding. no need fo' be angry bwaaa... i wish i had pidgin tounge

did you know ... for one barrel of oil to be found , you need two barrels
                Ebb And Flow

Comment

Isn't it neat how moisture ranges from frozen ice to liquid water to clouds and even to humidity / steam. Gotta love that H2O.

Comment

that is pretty damn neat, yea.

Comment

Why does the hair on your arm stop growing but the hair on your head or face, if you have any, doesn't stop growing? [/QUOTE]

Interesting question, got me thinking, too!
                      Gotta love "ask jeeves", http://www.ask.com/:
                      The hairs don't stop growing, they fall off. You wouldn't notice because
                      they don't fall off all at once. It's the same thing with the hair on your
                      head, only you do cut it now and then. Maybe. :-) People who let their
                      hair grow uncut get hair of a certain length. Some down to the middle of
                      their back, some down to their buttocks, some a bit further still. This
                      difference is genetic. Again, it is not that their hair stops growing,
                      it's just that they fall off at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
                        did you know ... for one barrel of oil to be found , you need two barrels
                        OK, I give up. What??

Comment

I believe he means that in order to collect 1 barrel of oil we use 2 in fuel spent. Sounds reasonable to how we do things.

Comment

If that what it takes to drill, transport, refine, transport to finally getting it to you, that might sound kind of reasonable.

Comment

How about that all life on earth needs either oxigen or carbon dioxide and that the by-product after use is the other one. There's so much that's just amazing on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X