War of the Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds

I saw War of the Worlds at Ward Theatre with a friend on Saturday night, it was kind of crowded but we managed to find seats considering we got there about 10 minutes before the movie started.

I am kind of netural on this movie, on the bad side is in the treatment or the explaination of how the war machnes got to Earth, the other is my common complaint about sci-fi movies, in which despite our rich selection of other sci-fi work no one in the movie sees fit to make a reference of a sci-fi work to help explain what's going on, but since this movie was based and it tried real good to follow a 19th century sci-fi novel, I won't hold it against it.

On the good side is how this movie followed the novel updated to the 21st century with the expection of ships from outer space landing on Earth. And I think the characters were more of the average person on the street instead of the geek/brainy scientist trying to save the world.

Re: War of the Worlds

One of the respondents quoted in the "Barometer of Cool" says that between "The Fantastic Four" and "War of the Worlds," she'd rather see "War of the Worlds" because "it's more realistic." She is a registered nurse.

ROTFL

See http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/02/features/index.html
    for more hilarity.

Comment

one sez fantastic four is preferred over WotW cuz "I like the name better".
      hmmm.

and da odda one sez:
      " War of the Worlds;
      it's more scientific, more real... something like that could happen."

Just like that movie I also really like where pigs fly outta my butt.
      Last edited by kimo55; July 3, 2005, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Went to see this movie today. I like scifi movies in general and this one was okay. Nothing great, not too bad either.... just okay. I have now seen 3 versions of "War of the Worlds" and for me the classic 1953 version starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson (both have a tiny cameo in this movie) still stand as one of my all time favorite scifi movies. I think the "flying" machines used in that movie was better than the machines in the new Speilberg version.

The tagline for this new version indicate that "they're already here." So I guess that is supposed to explain the machines.... hmmm.

The ending? Nothing surprising and sort of underwhelming in this version. The reason given is the same as the book and previous movie versions.

If you have time to spare, you may want to check out this 2005 British version of the venerable classic. Just be warned, the movie is long and has more dialog than action. If you like watching people walking around and cheesy FX, then this may be your cup of tea.

If not the 1953 version will not be disappointing.
        Last edited by mel; July 4, 2005, 04:19 PM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I found the relationship between Tom C. and his daughter really teadious. The kid is constantly screaming. As if to say "the lowder I scream the more convinced the audience will be that I'm scared". Maybe I got it wrong but I wanted to see more aliens more what was happening in the world and less of the daughter & son. I also thought the daughters referance to terrorists was really akward and obvious. I think the original was a better flick

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            The tagline for this new version indicate that "they're already here." So I guess that is supposed to explain the machines.... hmmm.
            Having the machines buried in the ground for a long time didn't work for me. If it was one to ten machines buried around the world I could believe but having a few hundred scattered around the world and no one managed to unearth one by accident before the invasion started makes for a plot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmutt
              I found the relationship between Tom C. and his daughter really teadious. The kid is constantly screaming.
              Don't they do that pretty much all the time in real life?

I might be going to see this escapist crap (affectionate term) tonight. If so, I'll post my review later. At least now I'm warned about the screaming kid.

Comment

I'm a radio person, so I've always preferred the Mercury Theater's version (scroll down the episode list).
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

aahhh.

orson welles.
                  da mastah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    I'm a radio person, so I've always preferred the Mercury Theater's version (scroll down the episode list).
                    I have this on an LP (vinyl). The radio broadcast is pretty good. Sounds like real news until the guy (Orson Welles) is all alone roaming the streets at the end with the Martian machines all around. It is the first part of this recording that panicked America in 1939 or whenever this was first broadcast.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X