walkers and tennis balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walkers and tennis balls

okay, this is nowhere near as serious as the kinds of stuff that miulang posts but it's been bugging me. you've seen old people with walkers on the sidewalks, right? well, a lot of people seem to use those green/yellow tennis balls on the back two of the four legs. not sure why. maybe cuz they slide easy enough but still provide enough friction so it doesn't go slipping.

anyway, my question is, "is this a hawaii thing or is it fairly common to see on the mainland, too?" thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: walkers and tennis balls

Originally posted by shaveice
    okay, this is nowhere near as serious as the kinds of stuff that miulang posts but it's been bugging me. you've seen old people with walkers on the sidewalks, right? well, a lot of people seem to use those green/yellow tennis balls on the back two of the four legs. not sure why. maybe cuz they slide easy enough but still provide enough friction so it doesn't go slipping.

anyway, my question is, "is this a hawaii thing or is it fairly common to see on the mainland, too?" thanks.
    No, it's not a Hawai'i thing at all...lots of people stick tennis balls on the legs of their walkers up here, too. It does prevent the walker from "getting away" from the person so there's less risk of losing your balance and falling flat on your face.

Miulang

P.S. It's not just makule people who use walkers.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

this is a very widespread thing. seen everywhere. they do have walkers on the mainland, ya know. tennis ball helps the walker from wearing out too soon.

Comment

I've used a walker while recovering from this episode, and I never bothered with the tennis balls, but then I was mostly indoors, except for the trip to the PT guy.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

thanks for the info. hmmmm. naive as i am, i'm surprised that this is not just a local thing. i mean, wouldn't you think that the designers of the walkers would come up with something that's better than what the tennis balls offer??? amazing.

anyway, thanks for the info. i don't know why but that question was really bugging me....

(linkmeister, that was one unbelievable experience of yours!)
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

wouldn't you think that the designers of the walkers would come up with something that's better than what the tennis balls offer??? amazing.

wellll maybe there isn't.
            OR
            maybe they did and we STILL see tennis balls.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              wellll maybe there isn't.
              OR
              maybe they did and we STILL see tennis balls.
              The walkers that have the tennis balls on the back legs are the cheapest alternative. The next step up are those walkers that have hand brakes and seats or baskets for carrying things. And the cadillac of assisted mobility devices are the little scooters that look like golf carts. Do you ever see the ads on TV for those? I asked my Dad if he wanted something like that (he has trouble walking) and he said, "No need."

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X