Nuuanu Valley development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuuanu Valley development

This may sound like a case of blatant NIMBYism, but I really hope the residents of Nuuanu Valley win their battle to stop the development of a steep hillside. The only thing on the minds of the developers and the City is the kala...nevermind what will probably happen to the new houses in that subdivision or to their neighbors when the hill slides down.

We see it all too often up in my part of the world, too. People pay a premium for choice "view" lots on the sides of steep hills. Then they pay extra for the infrastructure that will keep their houses anchored to the steep hill. When the heavy rains come, guess what happens to those houses? "Slip, sliding away..." I'm sure their home insurance premiums are sky high, too.

If it was me, I wouldn't want to build a multimillion dollar house on the side of a steep hill. In fact, I wouldn't even want to have the view. Just let me build a house on flat ground, not on or near an earthquake faultline, and inland enough so that if there was a tsunami my house wouldn't be in the wave's path...

Miulang

P.S. there was probably a reason why the kanaka maoli left that part of the valley uninhabited. We should learn from those people.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Nuuanu Valley development

Originally posted by Miulang
    P.S. there was probably a reason why the kanaka maoli left that part of the valley uninhabited. We should learn from those people.
    From the same Advertiser story:

Leroy Akamine, a Hawaiian resident of the valley, said he has walked in the hills and found the remains of Hawaiian structures that need to be protected. He said a public hearing would allow residents to air their concerns, but the city refuses.

"We think because of all the concerns we should have a voice," Akamine said. "It should be addressed at this time. It is inappropriate to take that mountain side, the home of the ali'i, with all the concerns the community has, and to say it is administerial and let the chips fall where they may. Our goal is to stop the inappropriate use of this mountain side."

Comment

Working...
    X